finally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm building a 60. But when I said there were two, I meant two people who recently became owners. There definitely are other owners here.

Here are some shots of the keel coolers, they were filled with all kinds of crap!

Attachments

• image-2518503696.jpg
    image-2518503696.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 160
  • image-2533139492.jpg
    image-2533139492.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 171
  • image-1030981089.jpg
    image-1030981089.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 162
Assuming it's the same cooler they are using currently, it's Copper/Nickel. Ferstrum CN1257U. That's for the main engine. The other cooler is probably for the hydraulics and is titanium. I'm not sure why different selections were made for the different coolers.

I want to say bronze but I'm not sure...
]...it's Copper/Nickel. Ferstrum CN1257U. ... the hydraulics and is titanium...

oh my, high tech.. . I was thinking it was bronze myself!

Dave

Hydraulics=high pressure.

TT, what's your completion/delivery date?

February complete at the yard, May delivery after shipping and commissioning. But I think it's about 3 months behind schedule which would be about par for other builds I know about.

My blog has a lot of pictures and a bunch of discussion about all the decisions that go into a build. www.mvtanglewood.com

WOW TT. Great choice! The N60 is a great boat. We looked at "Full Quarter" the N60 that recently sold. I consider myself just lucky to have been aboard her. Although we are not ready to make that move, it is our plan in the near future. Best of luck on the new build.

:)

There is an Australian delivered 2008 43 for sale in Sydney for $860K. Sigh.

$860!!!! Wooooah! :eek:
Not surprised you were. Everything costs more here. I`ve brought in parts from US which, with shipping, are far less than retail here. Mostly due to our wage structure, and profit margins in the supply chain. A friend imported some Ronstan parts, actually made here, cheaper than local retail.:banghead:

Not surprised you were. Everything costs more here. I`ve brought in parts from US which, with shipping, are far less than retail here. Mostly due to our wage structure, and profit margins in the supply chain. A friend imported some Ronstan parts, actually made here, cheaper than local retail.:banghead:
Ahhh, thanks for enlightening me on that. :)

Just got the shore cords from Lewis. Whenever we are cruising, whenever possible were going to use 2 50-AMP 125/250 v. The reason for this is, because we have a total of three shore cord inlets. One 30-AMP 120v and 2-50 AMP 125/250v. One is for the house and the other is for the HVAC units, at the panel there is a selector switch for the HVAC panel, in which you could have the AC's run off there dedicated shore cord inlet, second you could have it run off the house, and third is just off. Anyways when we are at the dock with two shore cords plugged in we can run everything and not worry or load balance. Whether your cooking, washing, drying, operating the davit and charging the batteries all at once you won't have to worry.

Attachments

• image-2376212215.jpg
    image-2376212215.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 146
Just found this on the Nordhavn Owners site. This is our hull in the factory.

Attachments

• image-1529806500.jpg
    image-1529806500.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 188
We just made a quick trip up to Stuart to check how work is going. They finished the canvas, waxed, painted bottom, changed keel cooler fluids. All they have to do is pit the zincs and the name on. they also installed the Garmin transdeucer, and waxed the dinghy along with new cushions.

Attachments

• image-782737510.jpg
    image-782737510.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 165
  • image-288227245.jpg
    image-288227245.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 163
  • image-3707878056.jpg
    image-3707878056.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 162
  • image-1377130924.jpg
    image-1377130924.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 164
  • image-3505114962.jpg
    image-3505114962.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 151
  • image-1994309855.jpg
    image-1994309855.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 161
  • image-2371155566.jpg
    image-2371155566.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 167
  • image-1390918312.jpg
    image-1390918312.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 155
  • image-1155514567.jpg
    image-1155514567.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 174
  • image-4226165933.jpg
    image-4226165933.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 174
  • image-2372546338.jpg
    image-2372546338.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 178
  • image-1964933426.jpg
    image-1964933426.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 169
  • image-1501043719.jpg
    image-1501043719.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
The shirtback.

Attachments

• image-3794289617.jpg
    image-3794289617.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 134
BruceK said...

Ahhh, thanks for enlightening me on that. :)

Yeah, don't come to the land of the much-vaunted 'fair go' if you really want a fair go....
And Oliver...that boat of your looks so damned nice..... I want one...WAAAAA

Last edited:
BruceK said... Not surprised you were. Everything costs more here. I`ve brought in parts from US which, with shipping, are far less than retail here. Mostly due to our wage structure, and profit margins in the supply chain. A friend imported some Ronstan parts, actually made here, cheaper than local retail.:banghead: Yeah, don't come to the land of the much-vaunted 'fair go' if you really want a fair go.... And Oliver...that boat of your looks so damned nice..... I want one...WAAAAA
Thanks! :) And maybe one day we'll make it down there, if we do I'll stop in and say hi. ;)

I'm not sure why different selections were made for the different coolers.

Probably a matter of a local fabricator who makes a product that has bling factor for Nordhavn. They don't cost very much but as seen here, there is a great wow factor for some reason. My guess is it's a marketing thing between friends of friends in the supply chain.

Ti makes great heat exchanger material but as a keel cooler it doesn't add much benefit and actually creates a greater risk of galvanic corrosion of other underwater materials. I don't think any of the other manufacturers of keel coolers offer a Ti version and they supply some pretty exotic military applications. Can anyone show another keel cooler application with titanium tubing other than on a Nordy or a one off from the same welding shop?

Keel Cooler

Probably a matter of a local fabricator who makes a product that has bling factor for Nordhavn. They don't cost very much but as seen here, there is a great wow factor for some reason. My guess is it's a marketing thing between friends of friends in the supply chain.

Ti makes great heat exchanger material but as a keel cooler it doesn't add much benefit and actually creates a greater risk of galvanic corrosion of other underwater materials. I don't think any of the other manufacturers of keel coolers offer a Ti version and they supply some pretty exotic military applications. Can anyone show another keel cooler application with titanium tubing other than on a Nordy or a one off from the same welding shop?
I have Pdf version of the manual for the keel cooler, if you want a copy.

It's possible, but I doubt it. If I were going to bling someting out, I'd bling something visible, not something underwater that gets seen once every few years in a boat yard.

I'll see if I can find out, but I'd wager $1 that it's due to the higher pressure of the hydraulics. The engine's cooling system runs at about 15 psi, where the hydraulics is 25psi+ depending on the backpressure through the filter and other return lines, and potentially more.

It's possible, but I doubt it. If I were going to bling someting out, I'd bling something visible, not something underwater that gets seen once every few years in a boat yard. I'll see if I can find out, but I'd wager $1 that it's due to the higher pressure of the hydraulics. The engine's cooling system runs at about 15 psi, where the hydraulics is 25psi+ depending on the backpressure through the filter and other return lines, and potentially more.

They were used for some of the ABT stabilized boats. This is probably the guy who was making them.
http://www.primefabrication.com/products/keel_coolers.html
A few boats had some weld issues at one time, not sure about the current builds.

Via iPad using Trawler

A lot of plate coolers use Ti as the plate material so don't see why not use it for keel coolers but certainly does appear to be a bit of over kill.
Cheers
Benn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom