View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I like Steve's (Forkliftt) concept for hooking bilge pump action to horn button. I muse that concept and wonder if hooking to all three of our regular bilge pumps to horn, so that any "unexpected" need for bilge water evacuation becomes immediately noted while aboard or while not aboard. This would have a shut off flip switch to horn so I could manually activate the pumps while aboard if desired without horn sounding but then after I've checked for bilge water hit the to-horn flip switch back on as an alarm system.

Reason I'm thinking this concoction after reading Steve's post is due to these factors:

1. Our Tolly hull/bottom takes on "0" water of its own volition... at rest or on cruise
2. We do have a top off leak in one fresh water tank and if fill hose is left on too long there is at times a few gallons that enter bilge - for which I manually activate pump to remove (I’ll fix that some day!)
3. One time years ago we were cruising along on a sunny blustery day up on flying bridge and then we anchored. Upon anchoring at reduced rpm I heard bilge pump water hitting the sea. When throwing open engine hatches I found considerable water in bilge. Pumps handled that OK. It was raw water pump on starboard engine that had failed considerably, although still getting enough to heat transfer system to keep engine cool. I would have liked to be warned by horn - Good idea Steve!

This is now on my To Do list! - Art

PS: I'm wishing best luck to owners of sunk boat... My heart aches for you.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote