Heading down the ICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magicbus

Hopefully I can do justice to Will's recent thread as we start our trip south. Left Deltavillle at 7:25 and now we're running down the last leg of the Chesapeake with the temp 35, 1 foot seas and the heat on.

Dave

Attachments

• 20131214_101603.jpg
    20131214_101603.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 211
Hot on your tracks...just passed Patuxent River awhile back this AM....but at 6.3 knots...doubt I'll see your stern today.

Dave, looking forward to the ride. What is your destination?????

Frank

Hi Frank -

The plan is to haul out in Stuart in April. Until then we seek warm weather. Probably St Augustine for a bit then towards Ft. Pierce. Until we hit Florida I will be working from the boat 3 days a week and we will travel 4. My wife is in charge of picking the stops so she is entertained while I work.

Dave

Thats a BIG 10-4 on the warmer weather...You guys travel safe, and again, looking forward to the ride with you.....

Frank

Hi Frank - The plan is to haul out in Stuart in April. Until then we seek warm weather. Probably St Augustine for a bit then towards Ft. Pierce. Until we hit Florida I will be working from the boat 3 days a week and we will travel 4. My wife is in charge of picking the stops so she is entertained while I work. Dave
Wait by haul out, do you mean by pulling the boat out? Or leaving? Also looking forward to your travels! :)

Hi Frank -

The plan is to haul out in Stuart in April. Until then we seek warm weather. Probably St Augustine for a bit then towards Ft. Pierce. Until we hit Florida I will be working from the boat 3 days a week and we will travel 4. My wife is in charge of picking the stops so she is entertained while I work.

Dave

Guess I'll only get to wave at you as I start heading North in April.

Ted

When we are finished with her in April we're storing the boat in Stuart for the summer so it is already south next year. Passing through Hampton Roads in the rain right now. Time to 'drive'.

Dave.

Guys, please post pictures if you can. We just made a move to Wilmington North Carolina and are missing boat time because we are preparing our old house for sale! So we have moved coastal, but have crap opportunity to enjoy it because we are now painters and carpenters of our old home, slaves to our realtor!!

Really am jonesing for some boat time!

Thanks for starting the journey thread.

Pix when the rain stops! Thanks to Will breaking ground on his trip last week, we pushed on to Top Rack Marina at mm 8 instead of stopping at mm 0. Great spot and all we have to do is leave by quarter to the hour and the bridge next to us will open. Price is right and/or slips are free if you eat in the restaurant.

Interesting sidebar... We have only cruised the Northeast coast and are not familiar with things like bridges and locks. Imagine my surprise when I come around a corner and, spotting a new bridge I could clear, then discovered immediately beyond it a low bridge that is in use until the train tracks are relocated. After backing down I recalled that bridges are on channel 13 so I flipped the radio over and caught the tender saying "It'll only take a few minutes to open." I thanked him for my first bridge opening and got a you're welcome captain in return. Good first day - even the cat and dog seem fine but exhausted.

Tomorrow our first lock.

Dave

Dave,

So glad you are underway and having a great time! I hope that you enjoy the Amber Lantern! I am looking forward to reading of your adventures! Fair winds and following seas!

Where you headed tonight?

Dave

Stopped at Smith Point...(very southern tip of the Potomac River)...tomorrow Portsmouth...the following probably the visitors center in the Dismal swamp followed by Alligator River and Bellhaven....

I only push for 50 mile a day averages...longer if I need to beat weather, shorter if there's chores or a favorite stop to see...

Pix when the rain stops! Thanks to Will breaking ground on his trip last week, we pushed on to Top Rack Marina at mm 8 instead of stopping at mm 0. Great spot and all we have to do is leave by quarter to the hour and the bridge next to us will open. Price is right and/or slips are free if you eat in the restaurant.

Interesting sidebar... We have only cruised the Northeast coast and are not familiar with things like bridges and locks. Imagine my surprise when I come around a corner and, spotting a new bridge I could clear, then discovered immediately beyond it a low bridge that is in use until the train tracks are relocated. After backing down I recalled that bridges are on channel 13 so I flipped the radio over and caught the tender saying "It'll only take a few minutes to open." I thanked him for my first bridge opening and got a you're welcome captain in return. Good first day - even the cat and dog seem fine but exhausted.

Tomorrow our first lock.

Dave

That is to say, your only lock. Piece of cake, water raise is 0-2'. You'll never even know it's happening.

Stopped at Smith Point...(very southern tip of the Potomac River)...tomorrow Portsmouth...the following probably the visitors center in the Dismal swamp followed by Alligator River and Bellhaven....

I only push for 50 mile a day averages...longer if I need to beat weather, shorter if there's chores or a favorite stop to see...

You might want to consider the Pamlico instead of the Alligator. Manteo is a great stop. I almost always go that way.

Front and center and alone. Dropping now.

Dave

Attachments

• 20131215_083235.jpg
    20131215_083235.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 20131215_075614.jpg
    20131215_075614.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 186
You might want to consider the Pamlico instead of the Alligator. Manteo is a great stop. I almost always go that way.

Been thinking about it...hard to get wind windows that long for my slow cruising approach...

Looks like the wind coming out of WSW at 12mph at Alligator Bridge. Might be cool and a little rolly if you're headed that way or even to Manteo. How far planned for today, says the curious poster?

Interesting sidebar... We have only cruised the Northeast coast and are not familiar with things like bridges and locks.

Dave - reading this I just thought. From NC south there are a bevy of shoaled places. It's a good idea to check Cruisers net or Active Captain for the next days route.

Both have chart functionality with reported hazards from other cruisers. Safe travels.

Thanks for the photos underway. Doing house duties all this month and sure miss cruising. Would even gladly futz around in the bilge instead of stripping wallpaper.

Thanks Ben, I am a big fan of Active Captain and have a bookmark on my desktop for the cruisers ICW site. Here we are tied up at Coinjock with a 5 o'clock reservation for both a table and slab of beef. Yesterday they say the dock was completely full with boats heading south. Today just us so far although we heard one sail and one power on the radio behind us.

Dave

Attachments

• 20131215_140814.jpg
    20131215_140814.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 198
Thanks Ben, I am a big fan of Active Captain and have a bookmark on my desktop for the cruisers ICW site. Here we are tied up at Coinjock with a 5 o'clock reservation for both a table and slab of beef. Yesterday they say the dock was completely full with boats heading south. Today just us so far although we heard one sail and one power on the radio behind us.

Dave

We are in Salt Ponds just north of Norfolk Harbor tonight. Hard to believe that there were that many yesterday. headed down the ICW.

Yesterday I saw 2 trawlers headed north up the Chessie towards Annapolis...but none southbound except us.

Today I was expecting to get my but handed to me...fortunately the wind dies to 5 knots and the run was milk.

The USS Theodore Roosevelt ( CVN-71) crossed in front of us at about 6 miles headed into Norfolk....awe inspiring as always....

I listened to Aircraft Carrier #71 announcing his intentions on channel 16 all day. Wish we had seen him. We're hanging in Oriental to visit for the weekend...you may pass us yet.

Dave

We just might then...we have friends with a marina just east of Oriental in Broad Creek..should be there Thursday...

Will probably spend Fri/Sat in Morehead City/Beaufort....

Been thinking about it...hard to get wind windows that long for my slow cruising approach...

The Pamlico does make for a good overnight run or you can day trip to Ocracoke

Quick update... we had a really interesting run (shallow for our 5.5 foot draft) from Coinjock to a lumpy Sound crossing. Nothing compared to running up or down the Jersey coast but the cat did toss his breakfast (but he often does on shore). Next was two days without any cell access. We are now in Oriental,NC where we are hanging until Saturday while I work for a living and my wife tours the area. Seems like a nice small town.

Dave

Attachments

• 20131217_151248.jpg
    20131217_151248.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 136
So as I read my post I thought "it wasn't shallow, I was just in the wrong place."

My wife 'got it' way before I did. The inside of a turn is deeper and keep your (our) boat away from markers because mud seems to build up around them.

Dave

Never did I have or think I would ever see an Albemarle Sound crossing even start this calm...today at around 2pm.....maybe see you in Oriental Thurs/Friday....Where are you staying?

Attachments

• Photo262.jpg
    Photo262.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Quick update... we had a really interesting run (shallow for our 5.5 foot draft) from Coinjock to a lumpy Sound crossing. Nothing compared to running up or down the Jersey coast but the cat did toss his breakfast (but he often does on shore). Next was two days without any cell access. We are now in Oriental,NC where we are hanging until Saturday while I work for a living and my wife tours the area. Seems like a nice small town.

Dave

Eats:
1. M&Ms
2. Village Food Emporium (Bfst/Lunch)
3. The Silos.

All very good. Others less good. The Bean is good for coffee.

Enjoy.

Never did I have or think I would ever see an Albemarle Sound crossing even start this calm...today at around 2pm.....maybe see you in Oriental Thurs/Friday....Where are you staying?
Where are you now? Alligator River?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom