View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #19
C lectric
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Your weather conditions are similar to mine. Vancouver/Gibsons, B.C.

I do not believe one group 31 will start the engine if the engine and weather is cold. You will get stranded. I'm going to suggest at least 2 PER engine of that size with the ability to parallel if needed.

That engine has no starting aids and it must be spun fast. In cold weather those batteries, any battery, will lose a lot of power and may not be enough. If I'm proven wrong then fine but i sure would hate to see you out in cold weather and the engine cold soaked and you stranded.

For reference that engine is no comparison to any of the engines mentioned so far. It is 9 litres, 555 cu. inches, 17:1 compression so is larger by alot than those mentioned.

I have one, the V555M. I measure over 1,000 amps to get it rolling and then once actually moving the draw drops to about 800A. Mine does fire up fast also. If the engine is too cold and the least bit balky you will not start with one # 31.

Remember too that although battery tech. has moved forward a bit your engine hasn't. It still requires brute power to start reliably in all conditions. You have a Delco 42MT or similar direct drive starter and they are strong but they need a solid belt of power with minimal voltage drop..

I understand your interest in cutting handling of large heavy batteries but don't jeapardize your safety. Maybe one 4D PER engine would do also.

Just for interest i use 2 x 8D. I darn near got stranded one year in very cold weather where we had been out for several days of not running. Never again, at least for that reason.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote