Fast Dissolving TP or Not??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never have used anything but regular TP on any of my boats. T

The only time we have had a issue was a few years ago on the sea ray when my nephew decided to have a epic movement and use most of a roll for cleanup. I always instruct guests on the careful use of TP.. and remind them that we have a standing rule aboard.. " You plug it ..you unplug it ".

That seems to leave a impression on them.

HOLLYWOOD

We have been boating for over 45 years and this is the first time we have ever heard of used TP being put in ziplock bags. We have always flushed it to the holding tank and have never had a clog. We use the same TP on the boat as we use at home, our Vacuflush doesn't care. The only time we ever had a clog, was in a duckbill valve in the Vacuflush pump was when an object with a string attached was flushed. I don't think they believed me about the head rules..............:facepalm::banghead::facepalm:

PS. We where sailors for 20 years.

Last edited:
Can't believe I clicked on the thread about ass wipe.

For the record I agree w Giggitoni except I know nothing about blowboaters. We buy marine stuff and flush it w confidence. Our electric head has it's own masserator and never a problem.

RT Firefly you've got to be joking!

Last edited:
Don't know when toilet paper in the bag became something that some people do. However, I wonder if it was done before United States required holding tanks.

Marty

This thread seems a bit anal to me!!
Have always used single ply regular TP. No problems over many years with both manual Raritan and electric heads. Everything goes through the macerator. No problem. Biggest risk of blockage is one of the captain's logs!! Anyway, what do people do with the stinky paper if it is not flushed???

I never said I allowed the guests to use the head. The plastic bag was the wife's idea so why fight it.

We've got late teen girls. Sorry but that species of "human" is a horrific paper consumer. We were forced to institute the ziplock rule due to necessity. Might be gross, but so is endoscopy on a macerator pump.

The kids wonder why we stay in port so much when they're aboard...

Perhaps one day when the kids are past the larval stage...

Greetings,
Someone flushed a KITE?

Now you've done it.

I can't get the Doris Day song 'Go fly a kite' out of my mind, and what with the previously innocent zip bags, it's quite put me off breakfast, which is probably a good thing, as one thing leads to another.

Greetings,
Mr. G. Could've been worse....
yoyo_mid.jpg

RT Firefly

I should have known better, saying an "object with string attached" makes it way too easy for you!.......:facepalm:

Attachments

• Egg.jpeg
    Egg.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 298
Using the fast dissolving TP, does it make a difference or will I be ok with using the household stuff?

The answer to both your questions is yes.

"Marine/RV" toilet paper is just private label branding of very cheap flimsy institutional grade toilet paper at a much higher price than you can buy it without any “marine/RV” labeling. I discovered this when I was at the SeaLand plant in Ohio and watched an employee rebag and re-label cheap no-name TP as their "marine/RV" TP. As a result, I even went home and investigated adding TP to our own product line...till I discovered that we'd have to buy truckload quantities to be able to price it competitively. We didn't the space to store half that much!

So--save your money and shop the supermarkets and warehouse clubs for the same thing only cheaper!

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
To find out whether any toilet paper is suitable for use aboard, tear off a sheet and put it in a glass of water overnight. If it's still an intact—or mostly intact--sheet in the morning, it's NOT suitable for use in any marine toilet...it doesn't dissolve fast enough and could clog your system. But if you stir the glass and all you see is "snow" and cloudy water, it's the same thing as "marine" toilet paper...and just fine for use in any system.

However...never, never NEVER put any of the "wet wipe" products down a marine toilet...those things shouldn't even go down toilets on land! In September, the Associated Press ran an article titled "
" Increasingly popular bathroom wipes — pre-moistened towelettes that are often advertised as flushable — are being blamed for creating clogs and backups in sewer systems around the nation. " Unclogging themis costing sewer system operators millions of $$.

Merry Christmas, y'all!

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

This thread seems a bit anal to me!!
Have always used single ply regular TP. No problems over many years with both manual Raritan and electric heads. Everything goes through the macerator. No problem. Biggest risk of blockage is one of the captain's logs!! Anyway, what do people do with the stinky paper if it is not flushed???

They reckon they put it in ziplock bags and hang onto it until they berth and can dump it I suppose. I suspect since we all went :eek:, those who posted this are now, well….:hide:
However, point of order here - let's just say personal observation…if you use 1 ply, you just use twice as much, so double ply is fine - just be frugal…end of lesson...:whistling:

The answer to both your questions is yes.

"Marine/RV" toilet paper is just private label branding of very cheap flimsy institutional grade toilet paper at a much higher price than you can buy it without any “marine/RV” labeling. I discovered this when I was at the SeaLand plant in Ohio and watched an employee rebag and re-label cheap no-name TP as their "marine/RV" TP. As a result, I even went home and investigated adding TP to our own product line...till I discovered that we'd have to buy truckload quantities to be able to price it competitively. We didn't the space to store half that much!

So--save your money and shop the supermarkets and warehouse clubs for the same thing only cheaper!

To find out whether any toilet paper is suitable for use aboard, tear off a sheet and put it in a glass of water overnight. If it's still an intact—or mostly intact--sheet in the morning, it's NOT suitable for use in any marine toilet...it doesn't dissolve fast enough and could clog your system. But if you stir the glass and all you see is "snow" and cloudy water, it's the same thing as "marine" toilet paper...and just fine for use in any system.

However...never, never NEVER put any of the "wet wipe" products down a marine toilet...those things shouldn't even go down toilets on land! In September, the Associated Press ran an article titled "
" Increasingly popular bathroom wipes — pre-moistened towelettes that are often advertised as flushable — are being blamed for creating clogs and backups in sewer systems around the nation. " Unclogging themis costing sewer system operators millions of $$.

Merry Christmas, y'all!

Hi Peggie - Great to see/read ya again on TF. As always...Thanks!

If I may add to your and others input re "testing" and using supermarket TP for its capability of acceptability for marine use (please correct me if I'm wrong):

- Purchasing and using genuine, qualified marine TP gives the best chance of NOT having TP clog or burn out macerator motor of the head and it will deteriorate best in holding tank.
- Purchasing supermarket TP offers chance of making mistake by using too heavy duty a TP that could create a clog or burn out macerator motor... especially if someone gets too TP - Happy! LOL

Marine TP $$ Calcs for 2 persons, using the head every day of year at avg 1/2 roll per day: Approx $.0.50 per day = Approx $183.00 per year. Not too bad for limiting clog and macerator burn out potentials. Also - you'd still be spending approx $0.25 per day for regular TP! That means only $141.50 extra cost per year by using Marine TP. For those not 24/7 live aboards the extra cost for using Marine TP is less than recognizable...

I believe in correct tool for any job - Butt Wipe Too! :dance: :whistling:

Thetford BiodegradableToilet Tissue, 4 Pack

THT-03300_lg.jpg

Art, with all due respect, you quoted Peggy, but did not read it properly..she actually said…
"Marine/RV" toilet paper is just private label branding of very cheap flimsy institutional grade toilet paper at a much higher price than you can buy it without any “marine/RV” labeling. I discovered this when I was at the SeaLand plant in Ohio and watched an employee rebag and re-label cheap no-name TP as their "marine/RV"

Art, with all due respect, you quoted Peggy, but did not read it properly..she actually said…
"Marine/RV" toilet paper is just private label branding of very cheap flimsy institutional grade toilet paper at a much higher price than you can buy it without any “marine/RV” labeling. I discovered this when I was at the SeaLand plant in Ohio and watched an employee rebag and re-label cheap no-name TP as their "marine/RV"

With equal due respect Peter - You missed my point - I understood what Peggie said and meant, and I agree with her. What I said and mean is that by using Marine TP there would be less chance of making a mistake of using too sturdy a TP in marine head. I did not mean that similar TP to Marine TP could not be found in a supermarket - Way I see it - Better Safe Than Sorry!

OUQTE - from my post (bold included here for clarity)

- Purchasing and using genuine, qualified marine TP gives the best chance of NOT having TP clog or burn out macerator motor of the head and it will deteriorate best in holding tank.
- Purchasing supermarket TP offers chance of making mistake by using too heavy duty a TP that could create a clog or burn out macerator motor... especially if someone gets too TP - Happy! LOL

Art, I guess you missed my earlier post when I reported the only time we clogged was when I did buy "special" marine/RV t/p, so it looks like you better test it like Peggy said either way. That being the case, as buying the special RV/marine stuff guarantees nothing, why not just check out the cheap supermarket brands..?

With all the maintenance, repairs and research we have to do to keep these boats running what is the big deal about doing the glass jar test recommended by Peggie.

When I did the test I was able to sit on the aft deck with a drink in hand and tell my wife that I was busy performing an important test and couldn't help her.

Marty

You guys are all wooses!! I thoroughly enjoyed rebuilding my macerator. Though I have never had to do it because of a blockage, just corrosion, and the motor was and still is just fine after 8 more years.

Over 50 posts, who would have guessed?

<snip>...I discovered this when I was at the SeaLand plant in Ohio and watched an employee rebag and re-label cheap no-name TP as their "marine/RV" TP....</snip>

:whistling:

Pete, Marty and Peggie - You are all absolutely correct in what you say!! And, yes Pete, I did read that your: "only time we clogged was when I did buy "special" marine/RV t/p". I was surprised that you related the clog to Marine TP and all I can say to that is maybe it was bad luck from a flusher that went TP Crazy or had real bad diet??? :confused:

Yes... Best TP test is glass o' water! And, I must admit that although I've not performed that exact test on Marine TP (of which we keep abundance aboard) I occasionally use that TP to clean up spills on counter and to swipe out sink for cleanliness. In those instances I've noted that soon as wetted the Marine TP dissolves to near nothingness. I've also viewed Marine TP during toilet flushes and noted its very quick breakup as compared to household flushes, as well as our house TP lasting much better/longer for sink swipes and the like. :rolleyes:

That said – Just for S&G’s, I will perform glass o' water Marine TP test right next to regular household, and cheep household TP tests with stop watch in hand and “In My Log” I will records results – dated and signed! :thumb:

All and all it does seem rather unusual that on this glorious occasion of holiday season one of the main topics (50 + posts) running through our minds is which A-Wipe is best to use aboard our beloved boats! :rofl:

Therefore... I will try to refrain from posting here again and I wish everyone to receive blessings due, gifts desired, and fantastic times this holiday season! :D

Happy Holiday Boating Daze! :speed boat:Art

Full time liveaboard with plenty of unknowledgeable guests and a girlfriend living aboard who uses the head quite often.

NEVER has there been an issue with clogging.

Just use a rapidly dissolving tissue or RV/Marine kind and tell people to be carefull...flush 2x if necessary.

If I had to put used TP in a ziplock...I'd go back to primitive camping and slit trenches...

Agree 100% and we love our new Electra Scan :dance:

Who wouldn't believe our HeadMistress? I certainly wouldn't be caught dead in that category.

But I sense that what Art is saying is that the marine TP is "certified" to be clog prof or at least most resistant to clogging. The highest possible resistance we can have to halving to do the down and dirty maintenance job of fixing da poo processor in confined places.

VERY small cost for maximum insurance. My favorite TP for our home just recently changed so much that anybody would notice the difference immediately. So you domestic poo paper is much more likely to change as it's not manufactured for our purposes. Still one could go through several thousand rolls of DTP without the bad thing happening but our faithful friend Art thinks maximum insurance is well worth it for peace of mind.

Reactions: Art
All this talk about dissolving TP....

It's all a moot point when someone drops a brick like turd into the head.. which is the only thing that has ever clogged any of the heads on all my boats.. other than the moron that thought flushing a article with a string attached was a good thing.

I love the vacuflush systems on the last two boats.

HOLLYWOOD

:socool:

However, point of order here - let's just say personal observation…if you use 1 ply, you just use twice as much, so double ply is fine - just be frugal…end of lesson...:whistling:

Really frugal sailors use both sides of the paper.

Really frugal sailors use both sides of the paper.

My previous slip mate, a sailboater, was so frugal he would dry his wet paper towels for reuse. I teased him that he probably rinsed his TP out, dried and re-roll it too. :flowers:

60 posts and nobody has mentioned wash rags yet? It's much softer than our other option.

Attachments

• image-2512053584.jpg
    image-2512053584.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom