Fast Dissolving TP or Not??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Well, I am new to large boating. I have always had the port a potty so just took what I had on hand. Normal 2 ply non scented aboard and thought nothing of it. Well now that I have an on board head I would like to do what I can to avoid any clogs. Using the fast dissolving TP, does it make a difference or will I be ok with using the household stuff?

Well, I am new to large boating. I have always had the port a potty so just took what I had on hand. Normal 2 ply non scented aboard and thought nothing of it. Well now that I have an on board head I would like to do what I can to avoid any clogs. Using the fast dissolving TP, does it make a difference or will I be ok with using the household stuff?
I would not use household stuff.

We use the "good stuff" (soft, strong) but put it in the waste basket rather than the toilet after use.

Agree, if it does not go through you it goes into a basket. Bill

If it's going down the head, use one-ply. Scott makes some that is very good.

If in doubt do the jar test. Take a couple of sheets and put it in a glass jar with water. Screw on the lid and shake. It should just about disappear.

What you are looking for is septic tank safe toilet paper. For example you can buy Angel Soft almost anywhere and it says it is septic tank safe on package. The glass jar (I used glasses) test is something we can all benefit from doing to see what a difference there is between brands. The cheaper the paper the more likely it will dissolve quickly.

Of course you can always buy marine toilet paper and avoid having to use low price toilet paper, sorry meant to say avoid paying a low price for low price toilet paper.

Marty

We use the "marine" TP; I forget the brand. What I was told was that regular TP has a glue in it that over time will build up in your hoses and eventually cause problems.

Whatever you do, do NOT allow wet wipes or their ilk to be flushed. They will ball up at your macerator/pump, necessitating a tear down.

We just keep some zip lock bags under the sink beside the head and the paper goes in there to be disposed of later.

Conrad....sounds like you might have some experience cleaning a clogged head. Do it one time and you start being very strict about what goes in...ha.

That's the nice thing about a Microphor septic system. No macerater pump needed and the little aerobic $h-t eaters in the tank l o v e nothing better than a good 2 ply tissue for lunch. Just keep plastic and chlorine out of it and you're good to go.

Attachments

• Dumb and Dumber.jpg
    Dumb and Dumber.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 121
We just keep some zip lock bags under the sink beside the head and the paper goes in there to be disposed of later.

Conrad....sounds like you might have some experience cleaning a clogged head. Do it one time and you start being very strict about what goes in...ha.

Yup. And when you have two heads, it is double your pleasure time!

What type toilet(s) and MSD's (Marine Sanitation Devices) do you have? Makes a world of difference in answering your question.

Full time liveaboard with plenty of unknowledgeable guests and a girlfriend living aboard who uses the head quite often.

NEVER has there been an issue with clogging.

Just use a rapidly dissolving tissue or RV/Marine kind and tell people to be carefull...flush 2x if necessary.

If I had to put used TP in a ziplock...I'd go back to primitive camping and slit trenches...

Has anyone here tried eating the TP with their meal?
Seems like it would solve a lot of problems?
Just sayin'.

We use the "good stuff" (soft, strong) but put it in the waste basket rather than the toilet after use.

We do the same - use what ever you want, just don't put it in the head.

WE use single ply - the cheapest available!! Works fine for the head, sometimes not so good for the hands!!

Have used fast dissolving TP for years and years. Only problem was a guest that threw a facial wipe in the head. She had been instructed about what goes in, but said it said flushable on the package. I was not a happy camper.

I'm sure you have enough info now but i use Scott septic safe in both the boat and the trailer. i used to buy the Marine stuff but found the Scott is just as good at less than 1/2 the price and available almost anywhere.

And yes it goes into the holding tank.

For, during, and after using a marine head - Just Bite the Bullet - but not your fingernails - LOL Use Marine TP!

For crap sake! - LOL again!! Spend some real BIG cash and purchase plenty of marine TP all at once. Store it aboard in plastic bag(s). If a pleasure boater can't afford the correct A-Wipe... maybe that boat should remain a dock-queen so the harbor's land based head can suffice.

Just sayen... Happy Boating Daze - Art

I believe in the correct tool for any job... any place!

I thought you guys used TP for fuel filtering, and cleaned up in the bathroom with Racors.
We use 2 ply on the boat, 3 ply at home. Baby wipes are good, but not in the head.

Sure can tell who the old blow boaters are on this forum...waste basket and plastic zip-lock bags. Give me a break! We have never experienced a stoppage with the two manual marine toilets aboard. Use the proper amount of water and marine TP and voila!

We've used Quilted Northern for years without a problem.

We have two Vacuflush heads and follow the PO's advice as well as another trawler owner with the same systems: Scott one-ply. We use it just like a land toilet. After many years (including the PO's use) no clogs in either head.

The interesting observation I made (well at least I deemed it interesting) was that this one-ply TP has somewhat stronger tensile strength than the typical "soft" two-ply. Doesn't tear as easily at all, yet still dissolves very quickly in the bowl.

Reminds me. Next time on the boat, Mark, clean the toilet. (The bowl looked bad today.)

Full time liveaboard with plenty of unknowledgeable guests and a girlfriend living aboard who uses the head quite often.
Just use a rapidly dissolving tissue or RV/Marine kind and tell people to be carefull...flush 2x if necessary.
If I had to put used TP in a ziplock...I'd go back to primitive camping and slit trenches...

Couldn't agree more. In fact having had to use a Porta-potti for years in our trailer yachts, and living with the inevitable smell, one of the real pluses of going trawler was the headroom and the proper head. However, just after I replaced the old manual head with an electric one. I got some special, so-called quick-dissolving RV type T/P, and guess what - for the first and only time it clogged. Got it clear fortunately without dismantling it all, but ever since we have just used the nice soft stuff we use at home and no problems. No way am I having pooey smelly used T/P floating round in my boat, even in a zip-lock..!

Couldn't agree more. In fact having had to use a Porta-potti for years in our trailer yachts, and living with the inevitable smell, one of the real pluses of going trawler was the headroom and the proper head. However, just after I replaced the old manual head with an electric one. I got some special, so-called quick-dissolving RV type T/P, and guess what - for the first and only time it clogged. Got it clear fortunately without dismantling it all, but ever since we have just used the nice soft stuff we use at home and no problems. No way am I having pooey smelly used T/P floating round in my boat, even in a zip-lock..!

Even though I posted marine/rv TP...I agree that there are some "better" /quicker to dissolve papers out there....

But till someone is sure...the RV/Marine stiff definitely tears easier.

I think the studies have been that Charmin anything is tough to dissolve/shred and till you find one that does...at least ..the 4X more expensive stuff is a little piece of mind.

Butt to be fair (no pun intended)...after being in some public restrooms and seeing what is clogging the toilet....maybe there are some people with potential head problems.:eek:

Last edited:

YES, what a great post!!!!!

I have had several Raritan brand type 1 MSD's on my boats over the years and have never had a problem.

Before I learned about type 1 MSD's I had a macerator and never had a problem.

This has been with a variety of heads, from manual Jabsco cheapo units, to Raritan macerating units, to the ones I have now Sealand Vacuflush units.

There is NO WAY I'd ever use, or expect my guests to use a zip lock bag. GROSS! GROSS! GROSS!

I have an electric Jabsco QuietFlush. Before installing, I spoke with a Jabsco engineer and asked this question. He told me to save my money and just use Scott single ply from any grocery store. He also mentioned the water jar test as a good way to verify tp suitability.

TP in plastic bags? Not on my boat. When I have sailboater guests, I have to emphasize the need to FLUSH the paper. Then they almost without fail challenge that guidance. :facepalm: :banghead:

Greetings,
If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down. You should have gone before we left home!
tumblr_inline_mlg9gl4ZMB1qz4rgp.gif

Back
Top Bottom