Volvo Outdrive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hitch

Veteran Member
Hello all, Anyone with an idea of what it would cost to put an out drive on a 1988 Volvo 200 hp diesel. I am looking at a boat w/o one but in otherwise good shape and the engine has only 200 hrs on it...thanks

I had a boat with twin 200 hp Volvos, w/outdrives. I would expect it would cost in excess of 10k, if there is nothing there now. Good luck.

Engines on mine were AD41-p. Drives were 290aDP, if I remember correctly. Rebuilt legs are out there for 6-7k, it's all the other stuff that will add up. Intermediate housing, transom plate inner and outer, trim controls, water elbow etc. I have a set of SS props for sale if you get that far.

thanks all... sounds like a lot he says the engine is worth 6k and I could put outboards on it....kind think not,,,

I could put outboards on it....kind think not,,,

Because?

outdrive

It seems a waste of a good diesel engine already in place and to replace them w/ 2 outboards seems likely to cost as much or more...

So are you saying the boat now has a Volvo diesel engine in it but without the leg? Not very clear, that's why the questions.
If that is the case then get the engine model number and HP and ask Volvo for a new unit complete fro inside to the prop. They will need that info to figure out which leg and plate to use. Then you will have a comparison basis for what else you find.
Then check around for rebuilt units, complete, or for the parts to build one up. But as pointed out already be sure you know what you are looking for or you could get stung.

And no , no idea what a new or rebuilt leg with all the other gear would cost.

thanks all... sounds like a lot he says the engine is worth 6k and I could put outboards on it....kind think not,,,
A couple small new 4 stokes would be the best route, and put the engine up on craigslist.

Craig's List. I just purchased a Volvo dual prop (with good props) for $280. My original one was toast. Turns out this one I bought is the diesel version. Only difference I can determine is the exhaust routed under the cavitation plate.

You'll also need a transom shield that will hook up to your bell housing and exhaust manifold.

When I replaced my original 5.7L with a new one, I had quite a bit of Jerry rigging to do using new and old parts to make it work.

To make the new stern drive fit my transom shield I needed to use the original middle section with bracket with the new top and bottom from the diesel version. dis some maching also since the new bearing as about 1/8" bigger than original.

If you can find a good gas version, I wouldn't worry too much with that size diesel. Maybe route the exhaust overboard, ignoring the integral exhaust. Likewise cooling water.

You can download a PDF sheet with ALL the Volvo stern drives listed.

try to find a dual prop version.

Thanks for the advice folks I will get a good look tuesday

Maybe this will help

Attachments

• Transom plate F4827768_13835 (1).pdf
    76.2 KB · Views: 68
Hitch

I also have a workshop manual for the 280-290 leg including the duoprops
and the leg/outdrive chart.

I cannot load them to T.F. Likely too large and of course it doesn't help I'm, 1500 miles from home with a dicey connection. Darn internet wifi.
I guess I get what i don't pay for.

No guarantee these files will help but who knows.

Use the sites personal message system to send me your e-mail address and i will try to send the files to you that way if you are interested.

Volvo Diesel Sterndrive

Here's the PDF showing the progression of Volvo sterndrives. Also, a photo of the dual prop diesel unit I found and installed (with modifications) on my gasoline-powered Donzi 18.

The mounting section wouldn't fit so I used the center section (below gear box and above cavitation plate) from my old drive. I paid less than I've seen the props alone advertised at!

Attachments

• VolvoDP_Diesel.jpg
    VolvoDP_Diesel.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 315
A couple small new 4 stokes would be the best route, and put the engine up on craigslist.

Shouldn't be too difficult, just find a way to mount them, account for the shift in weight distribution, figure out a way to steer them, revamp the fuel system, replace the instruments and throttles.

You have no idea how it will perform once you've invested $40K or more in parts and many, many hours of labor and you've killed any resale value or potential.

Best plan - find out what it will cost to buy and install the missing parts, then compare that plus the asking price to what the boat would be worth in operating condition. Remember, you can't sea trial a boat with a missing outdrive.

Back
Top Bottom