"Roll Call" For Gourmet Cruisers and Island Gypsies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome aboard GeneO. Thought that you might be from Mystic, Conn., with a boat name like that, but I see from your Bio that you are from the impoverished left coast.

David (From the impoverished Maine coast).

-- Edited by dwhatty on Thursday 9th of July 2009 03:00:07 PM

Not hugely exciting for you, but just to give you a flavor of what I've been doing with "Beluga" recently.... had 14 colleagues on board on Saturday for a day of fun and a beach clean-up. I missed World Ocean's Day, so figured we'd do something good now....

The south west monsoon is currently bringing far too much non-biodegradable waste from the mouth of the Pearl River into Hong Kong and onto our beaches. Yuck! We collected 200-300lbs of trash - mostly plastics ranging from disintegrating plastic packaging to syringes and other used medical containers, including a blood sample!

It was a lovely little cove and beach, but not somewhere I typically go to in the current SW monsoon season!

A few photos...

Attachments

• mch_6199.jpg
    mch_6199.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 195
  • mch_6234.jpg
    mch_6234.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 178
  • mch_6242.jpg
    mch_6242.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 186
  • mch_6246.jpg
    mch_6246.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 185
  • mch_6214_2.jpg
    mch_6214_2.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 174
Very nice to see civic minded people at work, helping to clean up our oceans and spread the word to others.

My question, however, is what is the placarded occupancy of your boat? Mine is 10. Does your extra 2 feet allow and additional 4 people on board?

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 175
Mine is 16, but I won't be in a hurry to invite that many people on board again! The extra 2' makes for a very comfortable cockpit in which I have seating to fit 6 comfortably before I bring out directors chairs. On saturday, there were generally 4 in cockpit, 3 inside (chinese girls often prefer to be indoors), 4 on flybridge and 4 on foredeck. At times there were as many as 8 on the bridge, but only in calm waters; I quickly sent 4 of them downstairs when faced with a following sea.

Greatest enjoyment is when we are max. 6 people on board, although I am now reconsidering that view after a solo day out on Sunday... turns out nothing beats a few hours of R+R on one's own!

boogiediver wrote:

" although I am now reconsidering that view after a solo day out on Sunday... turns out nothing beats a few hours of R+R on one's own!"
That statement pretty much sums up my normal cruising day. My friends can't understand how going alone can be so enjoyable. When I get back to the slip after a 2 hour jaunt, a feeling of euphoria sweeps over me that is hard to explain. It continues to occupy my mind for hours, even when I'm at home. If I could bottle that feeling and sell it, I would be cruising in a much bigger boat.

A Halvorsen in Paradise with friends.

Attachments

• labor day gam2009.jpg
    labor day gam2009.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 204
Dave;

I only see one anchor line and it's on a sail boat! Did you have to supply power for everyone? <grin> Man, that's livin!

Walt

Hi Walt. (There is actually another Walt in our harbor with an IG32 sedan).

No, the 47' yawl on the other side of the raft had an anchor out as well. We usually let the heavy (much heavier) blow boats set their anchors and then remora on to them. Still, we had a blow that night and, since the tides swirled us all around and with the added component of entangled lobster traps and rodes, we dragged a couple of hundred feet during the night. No probs as the yawl, with her deeper draft stuck in the mud, kept the rest of us floating.

Did not supply power to them. We are all used to 12v living. We hardly ever use our genset.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 8th of September 2009 03:09:41 PM

Dave:*

Sorry for the tardy reply but I've been traveling to see my brand new grandson in Arizona.

I'd be interested in seeing the "other Walt's 32 IG Sedan. Tell him to join the site and post a few photos. When you say it's a sedan, I'm assuming it has no flybridge.

Walt

Attachments

• img_2636.jpg
    img_2636.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 179
SeaHorse II wrote:

Dave:*

Sorry for the tardy reply but I've been traveling to see my brand new grandson in Arizona.

I'd be interested in seeing the "other Walt's 32 IG Sedan. Tell him to join the site and post a few photos. When you say it's a sedan, I'm assuming it has no flybridge.

Walt
Hi Walt:

The other IG32 does have a flybridge but it does not have the "Euro sedan" cockpit and side overhangs. I'll send the owners an email about this site. He did post once on the Passagemaker IG board.

My Kong and Halvorsen is a 1983 IG32.* I purchased her in August 2009. She has a 120 Lehman with 1560 original hours.* Her name is "Adagio"* ex* "Shakthi".** Taking her home from New Bedford Mass to Toms River NJ was a nice shakedown.* My Wife and I have had a sailboat prior to this vessel and it was nice to not have to deal with opening any bridges.* For the balance of August we cruised her around our local waters in Barnegat Bay.* The big swimplatform and transom shower were great during the Dog Days of Summer.** In Sept I got serious about addressing some important maintenance issues.* One very big one was replacing all the rotted window trim and renewing the sliding window tracks. A lot of work but it is better than new, with all wooden pieces sealed in West Epoxy.** I have also refinshed the interior and am in the process of updating some of the electrical and plumbing.* Nice solid pocket cruiser with classy looks.* So far so good.* Topped off fuel at end of season and averaged 1.25 gal/hr.* Nice!

Welcome aboard. Pictures are always nice please. Yes, they are good little pocket cruisers. After one season with ours, and still working out some bugs, we like her a lot.

Hi there.

I have just come across this website while searching for some information on my boat - wow, cool!

I have a 1985 Island Gypsy 32. She is fitted with a Volvo Penta AD41 - 200Hp Turbo Diesel.

My wife and I have owned her for about 5 years. As far as I am aware, we have the only Island Gypsy in New Zealand. For most of this time she has been on the hardstand as we have been living overseas. Now back in NZ for good, we are looking forward to some serious boating.

We live in a town called Gisborne, it is located on the east coast of our North Island. FYI- our claim to fame is that we are the "first in the world to see the sun". Quite an exposed coastline but some wonderfull fishing and diving to be had.

I too am interested to hear of anyone who has done some coastal passage making in these boats. What have your experiences with how the boat handles "offshore" conditions?

To get our boat up to Gisborne, we will need to do a 300 mile passage in some sometimes notorious coastal areas - (We will pick suitable forecast conditions of course!).

Anyway, Hi everybody!

-- Edited by NZGypsy on Thursday 24th of December 2009 05:59:56 AM

Attachments

• my boat1.jpg
    my boat1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 223
Welcome aboard NZGypsy!

I wish I could tell you of all the offshore trips I've taken with my Halvorsen 32 but the truth of the matter is, I can't! The longest run I've made in open water is from San Diego, CA to Catalina Island, about 70 miles, one way. I often take the boat offshore for fishing but only for a few hours.

There are others, however, on this site that have taken their 32 IGs several hudred miles in open water and lived to talk about it. (Just kidding) The boats are certified for "offshore" operation but that may be taken the wrong way. If I had the need or the desire to take my boat from San Diego to San Francisco, I would certainly do it.

Again, Welcome aboard!

P.S. Notice the boat design category on the plaque.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 24th of December 2009 10:37:35 AM

Attachments

• seahorse.jpg
    seahorse.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 220
  • halvorsen plaque.jpg
    halvorsen plaque.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 224
Hi, NZGypsy.* Guess what, I might not live there now, but I was born in Gisborne, and I was there just about a year ago visiting.* I guess you'd be intending (probably are by now), mooring in the old harbour basin marina. Back when I lived there it was the main shipping harbour.* Where was the boat, when you talked about moving her up there, down at Napier - more likely Wellington from your estimate of distance.* Certainly you'd need tp pick the weather window, but there is now way an Island Gypsy would not be up for that trip, even if you planned to drop into Napier for the night on the way up.* You could certainly do it in 2 days plus a bit.* Is that what you did/will do?* Most of my boating time was in trailer yachts kept at the Napier Sailing club, 1978 to 1989, but we brought our last one, a Gazelle 26 over here when we moved to Brisbane in '89.* Later the kids grew up, sailing became a bit labour intensive, and we ended up in cruisers.* I still hanker after sail tho, sometimes.
Peter B

Hi all!* Been out of touch for a while; seems I wasn't getting updates about new postings.

We*have a 2002 Island Gypsy 39 Eurosedan, which we bought in 2005.* Single Cummins 210; a sweet engine.* We love the boat, and it's been a wonderful platform for cruising Southern New England.

Jeff:
I wondered where you went!* Glad to see you back.

Well, I got busy and let the habit of checking in at the website slide, thinking I would get*e-mail notification*when folks posted.* I didn't realize (or remember) until*a day or two ago*that the e-mail notification is thread-specific.* As one thread dies out, so do your notifications.* Unless you post and request notification to a new thread, your post notocation stream can die entirely.* As mine did, at least until you and Stephan posted to an old thread.

Thanks!

Hi Jeff, nice to see you on the board again. I too have been less active online for a long while but am still enjoying weekends on the water and the joys of boat ownership.

JohnP and NZGypsy, welcome. I have a real soft spot for early-mid 1980s IGs - Kong & Halvos - as, age 8-9, I used to follow my Mum down to the yard almost weekly to see our IG44 take shape. And once delivered in 1980, we spent practically every weekend on board. Today she's still a great boat which we see on the water once in a while. Below is a photo of our Halvo 34 alongside that IG44.

Mark

Attachments

• mch_3936.jpg
    mch_3936.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 225
Walt, further to our recent communications on "other Gourmet Cruiser owners", thought you might get a little kick out of this. Whilst at Gold Coast Marina here in Hong Kong over Easter, we found ourselves moored two berths down from GC32 hull 28... and then bumped into her owner - a FedEx pilot who lives on board for the several days a month that he is in HK.*That's the boat I test drove at the yard in China in early 2007. Twin engine, otherwise standard specs. Didn't get to speak to the owner for long as he had a flight to catch, but we agreed to link up again before long. So the International GC owners club list is slowly becoming more comprehensive...

Attachments

• mch_9528.jpg
    mch_9528.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 230
  • mch_9529.jpg
    mch_9529.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 225
  • mch_9531.jpg
    mch_9531.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 228
Hello to all, we're the proud owners of Gitano, a 1987*36 Island Gypsy in Puerto Rico.* We got it about a year ago and are in the process of restoring it to its orignal charm.* It's*equipped with 2 twin 275 turbo Ford Lehmans.

We appreciate all the information we have found through this forums.

Rene & Marisabel

Welcome aboard!!!!

There were four IG32s in Buck's Harbor, Maine, a couple of days ago. Two were Europas (one was ours) and two were Sedans. The other Europa was owned by a retired master mariner (tankers) and his wife. And I did not have my camera!
cry.gif
Must have constituted the entire New England fleet of IGs.

I just found out that the Halvorsen 34 Gourmet Cruiser is now called the Halvorsen 34 Broadwater. The added 2 feet of length to the cockpit (Mark Hardy's design) and the extended top over the cockpit make this a pretty neat boat. The extended top, however, is almost useless for stowing a "dink" as how do you get up there to launch it? No flybridge!

Attachments

• new halvorsen 34.jpg
    new halvorsen 34.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 257
SeaHorse II wrote:

I just found out that the Halvorsen 34 Gourmet Cruiser is now called the Halvorsen 34 Broadwater. The added 2 feet of length to the cockpit (Mark Hardy's design) and the extended top over the cockpit make this a pretty neat boat. The extended top, however, is almost useless for stowing a "dink" as how do you get up there to launch it? No flybridge!
Yes, but think of all the solar panels you could put up there.

Walt,Thats one of the very nicest things about your boat Walt. No stupid FB.
About getting up on the roof (I'm in that situation too).
Last time I saw a picture of you you had both legs * * .....just do it.
I know from experience it's not fun when it's wet though.
One thing just occurred to me about these boats * * ..they'd make a good gillnet boat.
Hope I don't offend anyones yacht club status w that comment.
Marin thinks his GB looks like a work boat * ...these do it better.
I knew a commercial boat operator that called yachts "ice cream boats"
Walt's 32 does not look like an ice cream boat * * ....untill you get up close and see that
big chrome bruce on the bow. I think I'm about ready to follow your'e lead Walt * * ....
but in galvanize.

nomadwilly wrote:

Marin thinks his GB looks like a work boat
No I don't actually.* It's lines were derived from a basic working boat design.* But I don't think a GB actually looks like a workboat.* And don't assume that not having a flying bridge makes a boat look more commercial.* Virtually every single purse seiner, longline boat, etc. I see has a flying bridge.* The ugly ones are the ones where it's been enclosed.* But the traditional open flying bridge on a commercial fishboat enhances the lines, I think.

Some types of fishboats have no need of a flying bridge and so don't have them.** Like lobsterboats, the little bow-pickers, etc.* And some older style fishboats had no room for a flying bridge, like the old salmon trollers that had a small pilothouse, a little forward cabin, and that's it.

This photo is of a local buy-boat that was originally a seiner.* It still has it's "traditional" open flying bridge.** Today the flying bridges on fishboats tend to be enclosed, either modifications to the original open bridge or new-builds.* Makes sense, gets you out of the weather, but they tend to make the boats look a little top heavy.* I'm sure Eric has seen a million of these things, both with open flying bridges and enclosed ones.

Attachments

• caleb haley.jpg
    caleb haley.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 209
Eric:

I have no problem with having a flybridge. My reason for not having one is because I single hand 99% of the time and with my old legs and back, I can't scramble down the ladder to get a line on a cleat before the wind pushes the boat out of the slip!

About "ice cream boats." I think my boat qualifies for that category as I am absolutely "anal" about her mechanical condition and looks. I take quite a bit of kidding about it from guys on my dock but I just got business cards from two guys (sail boaters) who would like to buy it! The boat, however, is not for sale, as I posted much earlier on this forum. For my wife & I, we finally got it right!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 11th of September 2010 10:53:21 AM

Attachments

• seahorse.jpg
    seahorse.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 283
Walt,What make is your chrome claw?
I see that funny tie up you have. Why didn't you just tie directly to the stbd bow cleat
instead of running the line around the chock?

Marin,
I see that guy w the packer is just like you * * * .....he leaves his fenders dangling.

Eric:

My anchor is a SS Force* 20Kg....An old sailor on my dock said that by using the chocks,* the force from the boat moving is not taken up by just the cleat. It's distributed between the cleat and the chock. ( I have it...why not use it)

Attachments

• anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 215
  • stern chock.jpg
    stern chock.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 197

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom