Christmas Spirit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
Just wondering, do you give a chrissie gift to your local guy/girl at the marina or perhaps your long suffering mechanic who has helped keep the boat operational, when you run out of ideas?

I grew up in a country town and at Christmas it was the done thing to leave a couple of long neck beers for the Garbage collectors and the milkman, chocolates for the local store, and a bottle of whisky for the minister. (no idea what the Methodists did)

Just wondering what you may have done, being Christmas and all that.

As a letter carrier, I believe every household should do as Oprah Winfrey suggests and tip your mailman $20.00 at Christmas. Let's see now, $20.00 from each of the 550 houses I deliver to would be $11,000.00 in tips. Yup, I could live with that!

We give to whichever typhoon, hurricane, earthquake, or famine relief campain seems to need it the most that year.

Got a small box of Turtles chocolate treats on my route yesterday, and nummy cookies last week. They'll be getting a small thank you card back from me before Christmas.

I read in our press yesterday that Canada is phasing out letter delivery, is that true?

I read in our press yesterday that Canada is phasing out letter delivery, is that true?

Sigh...

They've been floating that trial balloon on a regular basis for about a decade, and up till now it's always gotten shot down right away.

For the last 20 years or so any new neighbouhoods have been getting "community mailboxes" which are basically outdoor banks of small metal compartments for each address.

My theory has always been that there would be a tipping point where enough people didn't get their mail by letter carrier, so it wouldn't be political suicide to phase them out. Apperently Canada Post figures 2/3 of Canadians don't get letter carrier delivery, so it's time to go for it.

Well, sort of go for it, because yesterdays announcement was that they are planning to make a future announcement about this. No 100% commitment yet. That, and they dropped this the day after Members of Parliament went on their Christmas break, so it's still a political hot potato.

We'll see where the truth lay in the new year.

Back
Top Bottom