Engine Mount Replacement -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelfastCruiser

Veteran Member
The old engine mounts are tired - time to replace. Cat 3208. What says the group on replacing the mounts without lifting the engine? I was considering raising diagonal corners all the way up, lowering another corner all the way down, which would theoretically lift the 4th corner up enough to where I could remove and replace the mount (X4) Its sometimes done this way on smaller engines, but I haven't seen it on heavier diesels. Opinions?

Attachments

• DSCF5240.jpg
    DSCF5240.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Copy of bristol5.jpg
    Copy of bristol5.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 98
http://www.thermoboat.com/polyflex-001.htmRaising diagonal corners by adjusting them up and lowering one of the two remaining mounts and removing it's opposite is the way I've always done it. The adjustment screws must be high enough for that and space to the side needs to be available too.

As for mounts this is what I've used. With traditional rubber R&D is excellent. The dimensions of the new mounts must match the old of course unless new mounting holes are acceptable and appropriate.

Last edited:
And the realignment process? How difficult is that?
(Doing this engine mount job over the winter as well)

You should be able to slip your mounts in place w/o a lot of jacking by taking the feet off the engine (one at a time) installing the mount on the foot then replacing the foot, all with a bottle jack and some blocks. Be sure to uncouple the shaft b/4 you start. It looks like you do not have the height to install modern, shear type, mounts which is a shame because they are much better than the compression type which you now have. R&D is a good source for these as mentioned b/4. Of course you could notch your beds an inch or so to gain height. When you replace the engine feet, be sure to use the same type bolts if you renew them, they are usually grade 5 or 8

Thanks Brooksie,
I have a good bit of room on the forward mounts - (picture attched) so I might be able to use more modern mounts forward and old school similarly rated mounts aft? Or would that just create a lot more problems. Thanks

Soundown the noise insulation folks used to offer quiet engine mounts.

If this is of interest,, other items like exhaust and fuel supply might have to also be upgraded for the larger engine movements.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom