Final jobs before Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeD

Vessel Name
Siesta
Vessel Make
Pelin Sterling 36
I am off to Havelock tomorrow to complete the final jobs on Siesta before Christmas. The pressure is on as I will be heading up to the boat for nearly a month on the 21st and I would rather be fishing than working on the boat, plus I need to be at work next week.

Anyway here is the todo list for the next 4 days....

- Get the boat hauled, hull cleaned and new anti foul and prop speed applied, plus new zinc anodes. This is after 14 months so it will be interesting and I am hoping there are no other issues found. I will post before and after pictures.

- Finish painting the sink cabinet in the cockpit.

- Sand and paint the walls in the shower.

- apply new decktread (Kiwigrip) to the swim platform.

- install new VHF and AM/FM antenna's on the mast.

- install a back up VHF radio.

- install multiple USB (Bluesea) charging ports throughout the boat to cope with the families charging requirements over the holiday. The joys of modern devices!

I will be doing everything except the work on the hull (I have a contractor for that work), so it looks like the next few days will be busy. Hopefully the weather will not interfere.

Photo's coming soon.

Last edited:
Here are some 'before' photos.

Note the zinc anode has nearly gone after only 14 months. Based on that I will be hauling Siesta every 12 months from now on, as I would not like it to get any worse than this. At least it is doing its' job :)

Work has now started and I will post updates during the next few days as I work through the 'To Do' list.

Attachments

• Siesta14-0040.jpg
    Siesta14-0040.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 116
  • Siesta14-0039.jpg
    Siesta14-0039.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 113
  • Siesta14-0042.jpg
    Siesta14-0042.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Siesta14-0044.jpg
    Siesta14-0044.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Siesta14-0045.jpg
    Siesta14-0045.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 109
Divers who do my occasional hull clean will replace anodes too. That would be heaps cheaper than hauling and antifouling early. They clean with air/water jets, preserving the a/f.

Divers who do my occasional hull clean will replace anodes too. That would be heaps cheaper than hauling and antifouling early. They clean with air/water jets, preserving the a/f.

Unfortunately there is no dive service here, maybe becasue the water is a little cooler :mad:

That said, the haul out and antifoul should come in at around NZ$1000 (US$ 800), so not too bad if you budget for it.

Have just seen the weather forecast, expected high temperature of 26 degrees celcius tomorrow! Need to get up at 6am to finish painting the swim platform before it gets too hot.

Attachments

• IMG_6113.jpg
    IMG_6113.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Not sure if I will sleep too well tonight :confused::confused:

I am staying on the boat while it is on a trailer on the hard, hence no rocking to sleep :-(

This is a Mercedes Vito van central seat mounted in a VETUS pedestal activated by gas.
It is possible to turn it 360º becoming an additional seat for the saloon
(for the captain, obviously...)

Attachments

• DSC04514.jpg
    DSC04514.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC04515.jpg
    DSC04515.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 103
This is a Mercedes Vito van central seat mounted in a VETUS pedestal activated by gas.

Very nice, but I have to ask. Did you reinforce the bottom or framing of the seat for marine use. I've seen some pretty nice van seats, but none of them had the strength as-is to mount unmodified. Because my boat is a single helm on the 2nd deck, there can be some rather severe lateral forces when rolling.

Good Question,

I inserted between the seat (the slider frames) and the pedestal, two aluminium plates to adapt to the size of pedestal bolts. It makes with some flexion asoft rolling.

Also quality is high as it is for Daimler premium. (manufactured by the Company I work for.
I had to cross the floor with bolts and to reinforce with a strong plate in the engine room

The sliders of the seat + the sliders of the pedestal and the retractile foot rest makes a good access to the cabin between rudder control and seat.

On top of this, very comfortable.

Have just seen the weather forecast, expected high temperature of 26 degrees celcius tomorrow! Need to get up at 6am to finish painting the swim platform before it gets too hot.

I remember those day in Kiwi land of 26C or 78F now after to many northern summers 78F is just a tad warm and 100F is much better.

In AZ at our house 120F can be normal in July which is a too hot.

Good to see other Kiwi's on this site brings back good memories and smiles and Christmas BBQ's. :thumb:

MikeD, if you move that zinc to your transom, you can monitor its condition and change it out yourself when it gets old.

MikeD, if you move that zinc to your transom, you can monitor its condition and change it out yourself when it gets old.

Good idea, but unfortunately it would be very difficult to get an earth cable through to the anode due to the way the swim platform was built, but not impossible. Anyway she is back in the water tomorrow morning,so a bit tight for time now.

I will try to remember this for next year.

Update coming shortly....

Very busy day here today.... :)

- antifoul applied

- new zinc fitted

- new VHF(2) and AM/FM antennas installed. This was hard work in the heat with reflection of sun off the roof.

- new backup VHF radio installed.

Now waiting for the sun to go down so that I can enamel the outer edges of the swim platform. Kiwigrip deck tread will go on tomorrow morning, probably when I am back at my berth in the marina.

The rest of the 'To Do' list will be done at our berth. All in time for when the Admiral comes up to the boat for Christmas.

Attachments

• Siesta15-0046.jpg
    Siesta15-0046.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Siesta15-0047.jpg
    Siesta15-0047.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Siesta15-0048.jpg
    Siesta15-0048.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Siesta15-0049.jpg
    Siesta15-0049.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Siesta15-0050.jpg
    Siesta15-0050.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Hmmmm.... very interesting. Do you think I need ro upgrade my helm seat? :ermm:

Man, that looks so good - I wish there was room for one of them in my boat. I have to make do with this…..

Attachments

• IMG_7778.jpg
    IMG_7778.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5967.jpg
    IMG_5967.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7680.jpg
    IMG_7680.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7424.jpg
    IMG_7424.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 87
Well Mike , to go for a new seat, is important. Probably our average age is high and we spend hours piloting as, we go slow and far.

My recommendation is to look in to the market, and select a good pedestal.
My previous one was a movie director foldable chair, but I decided that is not any good for a trip of nine hours damping.

danger is that you become sleepy easier !!!

It is also very useful for those nights in which you are anchored, and the wind and waves become strong. I seat there whatching my anemometer..

In actual fact I replaced the helm seat at the beginning of this year. :thumb:

Attachments

• Siesta16-0052.jpg
    Siesta16-0052.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 66
Ok, Siesta is back in the water and looking very sharp!

The deck tread on the boarding platform is also finished.

Still have a few jobs to go, but very happy with progress this week.

Attachments

• Siesta16-0053.jpg
    Siesta16-0053.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Siesta16-0054.jpg
    Siesta16-0054.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Siesta16-0055.jpg
    Siesta16-0055.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 87
In actual fact I replaced the helm seat at the beginning of this year. :thumb:
Mike, such luxury! Mine looks like Pete`s, with different upholstery.
Siesta`s new pictures reflect some Alaska design. Secretly (well,until now) I covet an Alaska. Enjoy the Christmas cruising.

Siesta`s new pictures reflect some Alaska design. Secretly (well,until now) I covet an Alaska. Enjoy the Christmas cruising.

Thanks Bruce.

Me too bRuce. An Alaska 46 sedan would do just nicely. Mind you...the Clipper Cordova 45 is kinda nice...

Back
Top Bottom