View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Dog Died. What next?

I'm a pretty stable person and a mature adult. Two weeks ago, our dog Marley got hit by a car and died. My 20-y.o. daughter was with him so my wife and I came home to carry him to the vet and cremation. I don't think I'll spend money on counseling, but I'm considering it. Our family and mostly I did everything with this dog. Kids grew up with him, so it's a shock and a milestone of sorts. He was 8. I'm focusing on work and home projects, but from time to time, I get paralyzed about his loss. Wondering about my kids as well.

Thinking about another dog in the future, but feel as though it's way too early, and even more so, the eight years of emotional time in Marley is too valued to think about inserting a "replacement player".

Don't mean to do a tear-jerker post, but curious how others have dealt with the loss of a furry friend.
The other thing is he was an awesome boat, water, and marina dog. So this stings on a few levels.

Definitely not running out to get the next pet, but I am wondering how others worked through the void that goes with the loss of a great dog?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-22 17.01.03.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	25564
Attached Thumbnails
2013-08-23 19.30.47.jpg