New Anchoring Restrictions For Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn Chuck

Guru
Just when you thought it was safe to drop anchor,
Florida: Less than a year after the Florida legislature enacted a boater-friendly law to prevent counties and cities from restricting the anchorage of cruisers, state Rep. Richard Steinberg (D-Miami Beach) has introduced HB 1361 to reverse that stance. A patchwork of restrictions in several coastal counties currently limits anchorage to as little as two days. Miami Beach, which has a seven-day restriction, was among the first to enact the limits to mollify waterfront property owners. NMMA and marine trade associations statewide are strongly opposing this bill.
Chuck

I'm not sure he'll have much success with that.* He's probably kissing butts for votes.

Courts in FL have already made decisions that counter local ordinances, but no doubt there will be a bit more of a battle over it.

I'm a resident of Florida....have been all of my life, and frankly....I have a simple answer to the issue:* Anchor where you can safely and legally (which to me is anywhere in the state that its safe) and if you are told you can't anchor there, then boycott that area...and somehow make sure they know you are boycotting them.* Boycott each and every business...and make sure that they know it....also let the Chamber of Commerce know it as well.

If enough boaters take the initiative to let the Mayor, the City Council, the County Commission, the Legislature, and the Governor know that they are losing tourist dollars...sooner or later....they'll pull their head out of rectal defilade and get with the program.

If you have a message for the Governor of Florida... Charlie Crist, then I suggest you email him:* Charlie.Christ@myflorida.com** Its actually a good way to get messages to the Governor and others in the state government.

Old Charlie would love to be the son of God, but maybe it is just a typo on the email address. Chuck

Capn Chuck wrote:

Old Charlie would love to be the son of God, but maybe it is just a typo on the email address. Chuck
Whooops!!* I tried to edit it...but it wouldn't let me!!
wink.gif

The last time we ventured into Fla waters, Lawton Chiles was the Gov and he leased out a massive chunk of underwater real estate to the oil companies. That's a safe place to anchor.

MMn...this was news to me.

I must contact my representative and see what I can find out.

We don't have those kinds of issues in NE Florida however.

Lot of rumblings in St. Augustine, but i suppose that is not considered NE Florida :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom