Powercat Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
;) What do you think..

attachment.php

Definitely this due to the fact that you have a "go fast" look hullshape so the cabin suites that image

Sun flogging in through sloped front is a downer.

>Of course I follow and love the Dashew FPBs and really like Tads Passagemaker concepts as well. I just happen to be a multihull guy and think that you shouldn't rule out the two or three huller just yet.<

My first ocean worthy boat was a Hedly Nichol Voyager 45 ft of cold molded TRI , built in then British Honduras in 1966.

Multihulls are great , cats for coastal, tris for offshore , but as mostly inshore cruisers they leave a lot to be desired.

Unless huge the live aboard weight load is minor , the hull deck surface area makes them really hard to heat or cool.
24Ft wide slips are not common and the light construction makes it a hassle at times.

On a sea wall sometimes you tie up to a tug , sometimes the tug ties to you!

Much unfun with light construction.

A fine lead sled motor sailor is a great cruiser , BUT most marine motorists want to be UP where the view is , not down below for living style.

Coastal cats do just fine at being UP for a living style , but travel at displacement speeds most of the time (sq rt LWL x .9 to 1.15) at low MPG due to their higher hull surface area , even if kept light.

They can usually match the speed of a Semi Plaining boat at the same fuel burn,, 1MPG or less.

In small anchorages the concept of being wind born , not current born , can add much complexity to the evening anchoring drill.

And in some cruising where wave action does not reflect the wind blowing (like St Barts) there is even more anchoring fun , in order to pitch not roll 24/7.

Since the 60s I have concluded that a small 30-35 ft cat for coastal cruising , IF set to use the shallow draft to take the ground , might be a worthwhile concept .Sail;s could help the fuel burn , but the mast would require bridge opennings.

Offshore world cruise ,,a Try would be fine , if kept in temperate zones , and kept light.

Last edited:
Jeff,
I thought you were doing the loop?

Yep - Pensacola, Destin, and now anchored in Panama City as we're making our way east.

We picked up 2 Garmin design engineers at Pensacola are have been experimenting with some user-interface ideas for future products and having a regular old geekfest onboard. We'll be crossing to Clearwater and down the coast after Christmas after staying here in Panama City at the municipal marina until then.

Domino Headed Across the Pacific

I'm glad you brought up the Domino 20 powercat.

If you really want to have some fun go visit their BlogSpot
DOMINO 20

....and take a look at some of the total distances they have covered from their building place in South America, up thru the Caribbean, up and back down the East Coast of the USA, down Central America, and now holding over in Panama waiting for the next big journey out thru the Pacific.

This is an ocean going powerboat

Thought I would 'reintoduce' this very interesting blogspot for Domino, particularly now that they are on the move again and heading across the Pacific
DOMINO 20

...and an interesting 'bottom job scheme'
DOMINO 20: FLAMENCO HAULOUT

I think you naysayers need to go back to the first page of this subject thread and look at a few of the vessels presented there.

Then I would strongly suggest you have a look thru this extensive blog by the owners of Domino, a 20m (65') Tennant powercat that has done a considerable bit long range cruising, including offshore. They are getting ready to do the Pacific now.

DOMINO 20

View attachment 24220
View attachment 24221

By the way, I had suggested that a version of this design could be converted into a 'motorsailer' with the addition of my aft-mast rig.
View attachment 24222

BTW Maltese, if you wanted vertical windows on your cabintop superstructure you could have made them look like this design :thumb:

Attachments

• dominio3, postsize.jpg
    dominio3, postsize.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Domino Powercat stern view lg.jpg
    Domino Powercat stern view lg.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 203
Actuly, he still can by simply adding a "hat". Most fly edges are not integral anyway. If he doesn't want a fly bridge, he can use the space inside the fairing fore hidden dink storage and sat tv antenna.

Attachments

• Domino with Aftmast Rig.jpg
    Domino with Aftmast Rig.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 134
  • santo bipod bleu, 640.jpg
    santo bipod bleu, 640.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 140
  • HK40, 640.jpg
    HK40, 640.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 157
This powercat pulled into our dock at Pensacola yesterday and I got to spend a while talking to the captain about it. It's a very large cat - 82' x 32' constructed of carbon fiber.

It was an amazing vessel.

537b.jpg

More info here:
Catamaran from Nova Scotia Yard
hotip537.htm

Jeff, is this her or a sister. I saw this one in Marsh Harbor in June '12.

img_197636_2_04a081bb64fda9c0032e9c6433613fd3.jpg

The captain told me it was a custom build so I'd figure it's the same boat. They've put 30,000 nm on the boat since 2009 so it's not surprising that it would have been in Marsh Harbor and Pensacola within 15 months or so.

Brian,
Wanted to help display the look we are trying to achieve. Naturally it might work better on a bigger platform:):) or smaller one:):) does this help explain the vision for finished cabin house design.. A mix of old and new.. Would you call these ugly?
Blackpeppertop.jpg

panamaxhouse.jpg

royalhuisman.jpg

Kamax.jpg

We are trying to achieve to a certain degree with the Maltese 52. shown below.
12-1.jpg
MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg

BTW Maltese, if you wanted vertical windows on your cabintop superstructure you could have made them look like this design :thumb:

Speaking of the Indikon project and Journey catamarans, anyone happen to know their latest pricing and what is their speed range? I know Journey cats are meant to be fast and compete with the Mainecat p47 design which I think is prettiest of them all. I dont see any speed range for the indikon motor sailor or powercat, but judging by transom shape and size of engines (170-220hp) each side I venture that they are aiming for maybe low twenties?

Our MP52- Trawler was intended for what I thought was that perfect sweet spot of 10-12 and doing so on (75-120hp) each side while sipping fuel.
Prices for the Mainecat P47 and Journey 47 are both 889K I believe?
Wonder what the new 40ft indikon P4 will be, Did they advertise pricing at boat show?

All I can say you might be hard pressed to find a 52ft power/trawler cat for the 450K we are offering the Maltese MP52- Trawler for...
Don't even need to mention that the Mainecat and Maltese are only ones made in good old USA. :)

Maltese Catamarans MP52- Trawler
MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg
MP52-Trawler_Cabin2.jpg
12-1.jpg

Speaking of the Indikon project and Journey catamarans, anyone happen to know their latest pricing and what is their speed range? I know Journey cats are meant to be fast and compete with the Mainecat p47 design which I think is prettiest of them all. I dont see any speed range for the indikon motor sailor or powercat, but judging by transom shape and size of engines (170-220hp) each side I venture that they are aiming for maybe low twenties? Our MP52- Trawler was intended for what I thought was that perfect sweet spot of 10-12 and doing so on (75-120hp) each side while sipping fuel. Prices for the Mainecat P47 and Journey 47 are both 889K I believe? Wonder what the new 40ft indikon P4 will be, Did they advertise pricing at boat show? All I can say you might be hard pressed to find a 52ft power/trawler cat for the 450K we are offering the Maltese MP52- Trawler for... Don't even need to mention that the Mainecat and Maltese are only ones made in good old USA. :) Maltese Catamarans MP52- Trawler
Do you have any other photos of the M-52 being built besides those two, kinda getting old looking at those same two pics.

N4712,
We have plenty of photos on our website which I don't think i can post here but they are easy to google at Maltese Catamarans. Be happy to share a build diary photo log that I've compiled over time with any interested party but will this do for now?:ermm:

12-9.jpg

12-16.jpg

13.06.25 CAT new.jpg

12-10.jpg

Attachments

• 12-11.jpg
    12-11.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 113
N4712, We have plenty of photos on our website which I don't think i can post here but they are easy to google at Maltese Catamarans. Be happy to share a build diary photo log that I've compiled over time with any interested party but will this do for now?:ermm:
Oh, sorry didn't realize that. :)

No Worries Oliver. Happy to Share. :):)
This one goes back about a year ago.
plug.jpg
And this one is about 8-9 months?
early work.jpg

give you an idea of work involved to get to this point..
MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg
12-1.jpg

In design there can be subtle differences that add collectively to completely change the overall look. In the pic you posted the square cabin does look right.. but it has a cambered roof, overhangs, a shorter profile, the deck is also cambered, the cabin also has a slight taper. Many of these elements add relief and a shadow line that reduces the visual height if the cabin.

All the above are elements of proper design, both marine and dirt based design. Even the last generation of charter cats that have those vertical windows have all the above mentioned elements.

Also, the square cabin look may have been out of necessity.. composity have allowed us to design the swoopy designs that were not possible to do before wood was vacuum cold molded

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• Blackpeppertop.jpg
    Blackpeppertop.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,558
Last edited:
Brian,
Thats a nice trawler cat but not really a fuel efficient option though with twin 370HP and weighing 46000 lbs. I do like the interior though :) and not bad price at 695K.

Speaking of the Indikon project and Journey catamarans you mentioned do you happen to know their latest pricing and what is their speed range? I know Journey cats are meant to be fast and compete with the Mainecat p47 design which I think is prettiest of them all. I dont see any speed range for the indikon motor sailor or powercat, but judging by transom shape and size of engines (170-220hp) each side I venture that they are aiming for maybe low twenties?

Our MP52- Trawler was intended for what I thought was that perfect sweet spot of 10-12 and doing so on (75-120hp) each side while sipping fuel. And at 450K for "motor away" pricing its a nice addition to the cat trawler market.
Prices for the Mainecat P47 and Journey 47 are both 889K I believe? Wonder what the new 40ft indikon P4 will be, Did they advertise pricing at boat show?
MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg

Brian,
Thats a nice trawler cat but not really a fuel efficient option though with twin 370HP and weighing 46000 lbs. I do like the interior though :) and not bad price at 695K.

Speaking of the Indikon project and Journey catamarans you mentioned do you happen to know their latest pricing and what is their speed range? I know Journey cats are meant to be fast and compete with the Mainecat p47 design which I think is prettiest of them all. I dont see any speed range for the indikon motor sailor or powercat, but judging by transom shape and size of engines (170-220hp) each side I venture that they are aiming for maybe low twenties?

Our MP52- Trawler was intended for what I thought was that perfect sweet spot of 10-12 and doing so on (75-120hp) each side while sipping fuel. And at 450K for "motor away" pricing its a nice addition to the cat trawler market.
Prices for the Mainecat P47 and Journey 47 are both 889K I believe? Wonder what the new 40ft indikon P4 will be, Did they advertise pricing at boat show?
View attachment 25563

I think you already posted these questions above in #102
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Powercat Trawlers

....and your photos over and over again....a few too many times.

Brian,
You claimed to have spoken with them (indikon and journey) about their projects. Surely a multihull authority and promoter like you enquired about the pricing? Was just Asking you to share the information for other forum members... Since you did not answer the question or address it at all I thought you missed it. You seemed to know about all the back stories of these designs and surely you have some opinion or info about pricing.

As for the Maltese MP52-trawler. It's just another offering to the field that I'm sharing with forum members. It's not the only one I am sharing info about. Clearly I like and promote all the offerings in the power catamaran market. But unfortunately I can only drive one boat at a time :)

Thanks Reiziger:thumb:

Sitting in office today while bosses were out for test sail with Client on Lagoon 39 gave me chance to play with one of our Ads that displayed possible look of Maltese 52 underway. Have a look... Maybe Lagoon will build a version after all...It would be very easy to tweak out the Maltese Cabinhouse to replicate the look. All that for a whole lot cheaper...

Attachments

• LagoonMaltese.jpg
    LagoonMaltese.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 106
  • MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg
    MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 96
Yikes!

10-12 and doing so on (75-120hp) each side while sipping fuel

120 HP with a very well engineered setup is 6 GHP per engine.

12K at 12 GPH (2 engines) is hardly sipping fuel.

1 NM per gallon can be done in most sport fish at 2X the speed.

FF,
Perhaps you should check your calcs a bit.. I said the boat was designed to cruise at 10-12 knots, which is just about hull speed for a narrow waterline cat. Surely you are not suggesting that it would take all the available HP to move her to that speed. We know that not to be the case, through plenty of available info out there. Couple that with the fact that slender hulls are more efficient to start with and you get in ballpark of much lower HP number needed to achieve that speed in a catamaran hull. The 120 HP at WOT theoretically burns 6 gal/hr and if you had two running at WOT you could be burning 12 gal/hr but at much higher speed, probably closer to 20 knots? The 75 HP option would have a lower top end speed but even better efficiency. Hull design was for efficiency at 10-12 knots sweet spot that most if cruise at and surely will be better than any comparable length trawler. Your average 52 ft sport fish running twin 800HP will be more efficiency exactly how again??:banghead:

For reference, Journey catamarans LRC 47 shows fuel consumption chart that they tested against. They get 7.7 g/hr total at 10.2 knots using two 220HP engines with a shorter waterline length and heavier (albeit, very nice interior layout & finish) 37000 LB boat.

Actuly, he still can by simply adding a "hat". Most fly edges are not integral anyway. If he doesn't want a fly bridge, he can use the space inside the fairing fore hidden dink storage and sat tv antenna.

Agreed, that would be a big improvement.

Journey 47 LRC power catamaran

Here is a new entre to the field that I think is quite nice looking.
Long Range Cruising Power Catamarans by Journey Catamarans

Here is a Passagemaker mag boat review (nice pics also of quality built interior):
PassageMaker's Boat Review - Journey Catamarans

...an excerpt...
Underway, the twin 220hp Cummins QSD diesels turning 20
x 20 x 4 props through Seatorque drive shafts produced a smooth and quiet ride at the lower helm. New 21 x 19 x 5 Michigan Wheel M500 series props are planned for hull number one, adding about 30 percent more surface area and an anticipated increase in economy and performance.
Beginning with hull number two, standard 260hp Yanmar 6BY diesels spinning 24-inch diameter props will be standard propulsion, adding 40 more horsepower and blade area, and reducing weight by 100 lb. per engine.

Fuel Consumption on that 62' Tennant design

The powercat I started this tread out with,...owned by a friend of mine,...and for sale now.

Sorry, as FF has pointed out I got the decimal point wrong.

It was 90 gal per 5.5 hrs = 16.4 gal/hr at 18 knts
That's 1.1 nmpg

According to the article that is estimated to double at 12 knts of speed...
2.2 nmpg

I'll have to see if I can find an updated fuel burn from the current owner.

Sorry for that mistake.

The owner reports, "Going about 19-20 knots we burn about a gallon a mile, and at 9-10 knots we burn about a gallon every three miles."

>Couple that with the fact that slender hulls are more efficient to start with and you get in ballpark of much lower HP number needed to achieve that speed in a catamaran hull.<

While there is no question at SPEED slender hulls are cheaper to push (before plaining) . but weight for weight down at slow trawler speeds SL 1 or so a beach ball underwarer shape would have the least wetted surface , and wetted surface is the price at slow speeds , not wave making.

Back in the 1960 era when multihulls came on the modern scene the AYRS was the premier publisher of info.
The AYRS came up with a simple method of figuring "hull" speed for a variety of boats.
The old formula was created by looking at fat boats of the time , and doesn't work well for skinny fast boats.

S = L/3b X SQRT (L)

When run for some theoretical hulls it may be a bit fast , but seems to work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom