View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #74
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Eric- The "Tenacious" is a 30' SD hull and was the model per-cursor for the 36 GB. We have discussed this earlier. She is a 19,000 # hull with a 60 HP diesel driving a 2:1 gear and produces 7 knots at 1.5 GPH. Our current boat is a 28' FD hull displacing 11,000# driven by a 58 HP with a 3:1 gear making 6.6 knots at 1.25 GPH fuel burn. There is just not that much difference when hull speed is the goal.
RJTrang on page three seems to agree with his proclamation:

We built the original Great Harbor 37s with a pair of Yanmar 39 HP diesels. During initial sea trials, we recorded top speeds of 8 knots plus.

The move to 54 HP motors was primarily a marketing move - to most shoppers, the 39s seemed too small. Of course, they weren't too small - just perceived as too small."

As to the Perkins, we have the 4-154. I used the 107 and 108 as examples of current engines on EBay for sale. The prices of those plus shipping seems a reasonable amount to invest in running takeouts. (Yes I am and would be aware of the risk of online purchases)

BerretaRacer appears to have full grasp of the concept that I was laying out including the purpose of taking on such a project.

This has been a forum that exceeded all expectation with participation, Eric, thank you and all who have contributed.
Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote