Nordhavn #3 - A Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Satcom

... I specifically wanted something simpler... no generator (had to accept this one since it came with it)...

Ok I gotta ask.. Didn't you mention installing a sat system to watch the Super Bowl on the hook off Catalina. How big a battery bank did you plan on? Or were you skipping the pre-game antics? :)

Dave

Excellent question, yes I did mention the desire to install Satcom for the Sunday games but planned to run off the battery bank as did with the other two boats (we hardly ran the generator and those boats had Sub-zero refrigerators and freezers). The two estimates we received have the Satcom at over $5K so it may have to wait a couple of months. Trying to balance the money into the boat with recovery if we decide to sell her in a year and look for N4. Time will tell.

John

Excellent question, yes I did mention the desire to install Satcom for the Sunday games but planned to run off the battery bank as did with the other two boats (we hardly ran the generator and those boats had Sub-zero refrigerators and freezers). The two estimates we received have the Satcom at over $5K so it may have to wait a couple of months. Trying to balance the money into the boat with recovery if we decide to sell her in a year and look for N4. Time will tell. John
Is that for an M-5, we are going install one of those.

N3 A Little Bonus

One of the advantages of working of working with a sales person from PAE Nordhavn like our good friend Jeff Merrill is that you still get all the goodies that come with a new build (owners manual, technical data, training, more training, T-Shirts) and ......................new floor mats for your boat.:)

Attachments

• Floormat.jpg
    Floormat.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 117
I love the style of the N35. The crows nest is a necessity for me when the Admiral wants me "out" (a standup engine room would be preferred). A masculine, heavy duty mast with pipe stays would give the Coot a run for the money. Huge SS engine intakes, vault-like cabin, great pilothouse, an engine room door instead of a hatch. Awful big horsepower in a semi-displacement hull makes me wonder about consumption.....never heard any figures from an owner. It would look right with paravanes though. Nice, beefy boat worth the Nordhavn label.

Satcom

Is that for an M-5, we are going install one of those.

We are looking at the Intellian i2 US HD Satellite TV System for this boat since we will not be traveling across any oceans. We have had good luck with previous Intellian systems on our other boats.

John

I just priced the I2 last month for $2000. Not sure where you looked but you may want to look again.

We are looking at the Intellian i2 US HD Satellite TV System for this boat since we will not be traveling across any oceans. We have had good luck with previous Intellian systems on our other boats. John
Oh.

Cost of Satcom

I just priced the I2 last month for $2000. Not sure where you looked but you may want to look again.

Price of unit is $2,300 plus mount $300 plus installation $2,000 plus misc. $400. I obtained two quotes and they were within $200. Ouch!

Just installed the Intellian I 4. Watching it now. The larger one was installed to get service farther down in the Bahamas. Great picture. Because I have DirectTV at home the service cost on the boat is $6.00 per set per month. Great deal.

Price of unit is $2,300 plus mount $300 plus installation $2,000 plus misc. $400. I obtained two quotes and they were within $200. Ouch![/QUOTE We'll I'm not sure where you got your #'s but I got it at 1999 plus 150 for the mount. I did the install myself since it just requires fishing the cable and bolting up the dish. If someone can get 2 grand for that then I may have to start a new business. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
I was just thinking that.

Cost of owning

Price of unit is $2,300 plus mount $300 plus installation $2,000 plus misc. $400. I obtained two quotes and they were within $200. Ouch![/QUOTE We'll I'm not sure where you got your #'s but I got it at 1999 plus 150 for the mount. I did the install myself since it just requires fishing the cable and bolting up the dish. If someone can get 2 grand for that then I may have to start a new business. Good luck with it.

I need to move to a different city / state. We went through this with our other boats, comparing the costs of products and services with other owners in different places and always conclude that we pay premium in southern California especially in San Diego.

Painting new boat name

Well this simple task ended up being a little more then we thought. It took us more than a month just to identify an artist who still paints names. The older gentleman we used on the other two boats up at Dana Point has since retired and it turns out that most people are using computer generated vinyl type lettering. We searched from Newport Beach to San Diego on line and came up empty. Fortunately the Flemming Yacht dealer at our marina knew of one artist that still does boats. We shared pictures of our other boats before agreeing on the style and coloring we will use for La Tempestad. If all goes as planned we should have the new name painted by Christmas.

Yesterday we came down to the boat to spend our second weekend aboard and moved the boat to a new slip. We lost the bow thruster during the process which always makes for a fun time during strong cross winds.

Still a lot to learn about this boat and enjoying the journey.

I don't know that location has anything to do with it. Maybe for your interior design work which I think you were getting boned on as well, but certainly not for electronics. I watched the internet prices for months waiting to see it on sale. I then walked into my local worst marine store, showed them the ad and they priced matched. You can always order online but I suspect your a bit like me and like to deal locally when possible. In any event, Google can be your best friend when sourcing stuff and it always a good way to check the quotes you get to see that your not being ripped off. I'm guessing that the people that are quoting you these prices are assuming that since you have a Nordy you must have lots of money too! Just my 2 cents...

Cheers :)

Well this simple task ended up being a little more then we thought. It took us more than a month just to identify an artist who still paints names. The older gentleman we used on the other two boats up at Dana Point has since retired and it turns out that most people are using computer generated vinyl type lettering. We searched from Newport Beach to San Diego on line and came up empty. Fortunately the Flemming Yacht dealer at our marina knew of one artist that still does boats. We shared pictures of our other boats before agreeing on the style and coloring we will use for La Tempestad. If all goes as planned we should have the new name painted by Christmas.

Yesterday we came down to the boat to spend our second weekend aboard and moved the boat to a new slip. We lost the bow thruster during the process which always makes for a fun time during strong cross winds.

Still a lot to learn about this boat and enjoying the journey.

There is a reason for this....

Designing using a computer and vinyl costs less, has less liability and iffy factors for the painter/ sign person, holds up better, looks better, has way more options.
Last of all boats change names more frequently than in the past and so do the names... way easier to redo a vinyl name than a painted one.

I am fortunate to live in a town with a actual sign painter... no way I would spring for him to letter my boat

HOLLYWOOD

Fire at the docks

Well a little more excitement today. I received a call from one of the interior decorators employees advising he was at the boat to pickup up all the cushions and other items when he tells me there is a boat on fire. He was on a cell phone with poor reception and it sounded like he said your boat is on fire. Needless to say my heart stopped as I asked for clarification. He quickly went to explain all the fire fighting agencies and failed to answer my question. After a heated second request for clarification he explained the boat on fire was on "A" dock (we are on "G" dock). I quickly went on line to check local news agencies but nothing. I then called the marina who explained it was a small boat and everything was under control. No other boats were at risk. Glade that's over.

Last night we stayed to watch the San Diego Boat Parade and was it amazing. Over 70 boats of all shapes and sizes with some outrageous decorating. Thousands of people crowded the shore line from Sheltor Island to Downtown. Great weather upper 60's / low 70's. Typical San Diego!

That's all for today. :)

I was looking at the old Photobucket archives today and thought you'd get a kick out of this one. Years ago, some guy requested a Military spec version of an N-35 "Patrol". Well armed and armored.

N3 - Update

Today was another day to address a stinky problem we identified last weekend. We noticed the holding tank was sending out a very bad odor every time the head was flushed. We found this strange since the entire system was updated earlier this year including opening the tank and scrubbing the walls. All new hoses and the addition of a vent filter that had a siphon valve inside the OSR. I asked the mechanic who did most of the work to configure the system back to its original design with a simple vent line exiting outside the boat. Next week we will flush out the system a few times and start over. We had very few issues with our previous two Nordhavn's so I have to believe going back to basic should work. Just another aspect of buying a used boat that had original owner modifications performed.

Tomorrow, we have the windows tinted.

John T.

I think those vent filters only make matters worse. If there is anything other than complete free air flow through them, it creates back-pressure in the tank which finds it's way out other places.

Inerior and other items

We came down to SD on Monday to meet the interior guys and assist them with installing the new carpeting and leather seating. Looks great! We went with light colors (creams and tans) to brighten up the boat. Window shades are a mix of Roman Shades and Cell Blinds (smaller windows). We also had all the windows tinted dark (except forward looking) which adds a sleek look to the boat. Still a few more small things to do but we are getting there. Took the boat out yesterday and today around the bay. Trying to get the stuffing box to drip correctly. I'll attempt to add a few pictures.

Happy Holidays

N3522
La Tempestad

Attachments

• N352 Leather.jpg
    N352 Leather.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 500
  • n5322 carpet.jpg
    n5322 carpet.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 498
Window Tinting

Attached is a photo of our salon window after we had them tinted. We like the privacy it provides during day time plus it helps keep the sun from fading the wood and blinds. From the outside we believe it makes the boat look a little sleeker. An inexpensive touch that adds many benefits.

Attachments

• N3522 WIndow Tint.jpg
    N3522 WIndow Tint.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 437
Great idea with the tints. I was thinking on adding the tints on my bridge, but I didn't know who to call for such application. I'm not sure calling the same folks that do cars is the best approach. How did you find the installers that did it for you?

Window Tint

Great idea with the tints. I was thinking on adding the tints on my bridge, but I didn't know who to call for such application. I'm not sure calling the same folks that do cars is the best approach. How did you find the installers that did it for you?

We did some research and received quotes from a few companies that did cars, homes, businesses and boats. Few do all boats. What we found was similar materials (commercial grade versus what you find on cars). On our N40 we used the same material used on cars and had no issues for three years then we sold the boat. On N3522 we used a different company that did small boats along with cars and he did a good job. Since boats are hand cut and the worker had to work against window sealant that was not perfectly straight he did leave a few spaces and offered to come back and redo the job. I'm first exploring how to clean up the sealant with a straight bead overlapping his work by 1/16". I suggest you go online and look up window tinting for boats and talk with the companies. I would think you will be ok.

N3 - A few new pictures

Here are few more pictures N3522 after we completed the interior and tinted the windows.

John T.
La Tempestad

Attachments

• N35 Window Shade 1.jpg
    N35 Window Shade 1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 151
  • N352 Leather.jpg
    N352 Leather.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 275
  • N3522 Front Side View.jpg
    N3522 Front Side View.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 157
  • N3522 Side Aft View.jpg
    N3522 Side Aft View.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 284
Here are few more pictures N3522 after we completed the interior and tinted the windows. John T. La Tempestad

Looks great!! Congrats again on your new boat!

I know when I am trolling YW, I often think "The first thing I'd do is recover all the upholstery! Yours is an example of how effective that minor of a change can be!

Back
Top Bottom