Your Next (Only?) Galley Gadget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captrigney

Vessel Name
Meander
Vessel Make
1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
GE's Ingenious Idea for Simplifying Every Gadget in Your Kitchen | Wired Design | Wired.com

ge-05-660x460.jpg

Greetings,
Diesel?

I depend emotionally on two good laughs a day. One from whatever is on onion.com, and the other from whatever RT Firefly decides to post. :)

Soooo... no get home burner? Is that what you're saying...

Dave

Last edited:
I want the Star Trek food replicator!

Looked at the TV cookplates with a temp dial, but have been told they dont like inverter power.

Decades ago Sears introduced a table saw with a computer in it. I didn't see the need then and I don't see the need now to have to use a microprocessor to boil water. Guess I'm just resistant to change.

Ted

If it works as the Wired article indicates, it sounds like it'd be right at home in my galley. There's never enough room for stuff. And my wife , who likes Margaritas , has to lug the home blender aboard for cocktail cruising.

For that function alone , I'm in! Induction cooking is the frosting on the cake.

Last edited:
No new gadgets for our galley...GW already has the boat well stocked with about every shape/size/color of galley gadgets she can think of. Same same with our kitchen at home. More gadgets than counter or cupboard space allow.

Neat-O!

"“GE could open this tech up to hacker spaces and license the technology to other companies who could invent new functions.”

Ok, so now you would have to worry about your cooktop getting HACKED!

On a side note, we bought a $60 single induction cooktop for our boat last year. They are wonderful, instant heat and low power consumption. We didn't use the Princess range once after we got this gadget. Only drawback is that we had to buy new cookware, non-ferrous does not work.

3-in-1 appliances are nice until you need to do 2 things at once. How an I supposed to cook on the boat without margaritas? I guess I'd have to interrupt cooking dinner to make the second round. Priorities!

Last edited:
On a side note, we bought a $60 single induction cooktop for our boat last year. They are wonderful, instant heat and low power consumption. We didn't use the Princess range once after we got this gadget. Only drawback is that we had to buy new cookware, non-ferrous does not work.

But does it make margaritas?

Ronlord. If you were as much a dinosaur as many on this form seem to be, you wouldn't have needed new pans for your induction cooktop. You would have still been using cast iron skillets.

Regarding multifunction gear - seems all the latest plotters do many things - charts - radar - fish finding - speed. Not sure many would prefer to replace with stand alone Loran, lead line and taff rail log? LOL!

What's with the guns thing again.

The thread was about kitchen appliances and yet again it gets back to guns or peoples attitudes to them.If you want to talk about guns etc , there is a thread to do that in.It's OTDE(well this is going to be a popular post)

FWIW, the best kitchen appliance is a quality kitchen knife.If you want some Margarita's buy some crushed ice.( gee I'm sounding like my dad)

Very true. And I'm learning that the smaller the boat, the more each surface or seat serves as a multi-function device. Flip-over helm seat, convertible settee, cutting board stovetop, flip down tables, wet heads, TV/ER camera monitor, etc.

My boat is a floating multifunction tool!

What's with the guns thing again.

The thread was about kitchen appliances and yet again it gets back to guns or peoples attitudes to them.If you want to talk about guns etc , there is a thread to do that in.It's OTDE(well this is going to be a popular post)

Not anymore Andy, it's all about kitchen appliances again. Funny how that works :whistling:

Love the Doctor Who picture RT :)

Having an induction cooktop is a no-brainer. Having the other functions is frosting on the cake. Unless it carries a ridiculously high price tag?

Margaritas with your frittatas?

FWIW, the best kitchen appliance is a quality kitchen knife.If you want some Margarita's buy some crushed ice.( gee I'm sounding like my dad)

Disagree. The best kitchen appliance is a wife who is a great cook and does the dishes.

Ron

P.S.
Al, please don't let this get any further.

Disagree. The best kitchen appliance is a wife who is a great cook and does the dishes.

Ron

P.S.
Al, please don't let this get any further.

LOL! No worries. But just for the record, I'd NEVER refer to my loving Admiral as a kitchen appliance. (yes, she's looking over my shoulder... :hide: )

Looked at this online but can't find specs for it, would like to know if it would work with my 1500 watt inverter. Anyone know?

Looked at this online but can't find specs for it, would like to know if it would work with my 1500 watt inverter. Anyone know?
Is it an pure sine wave inverter, or modified sine wave inverter?

Modified I think, at the time I bought it I didn't know the difference

Assuming it plugs into a 15 amp circuit , max watts would be 1,800, a bit more than your. 1,500 watt inverter. Most likely, it would work on low l medium , high but not ultra high.

I have 1,800 watt commercial induction cooktops in Sunsine and they work fine on my pure sine wave Outback inverters (all my 120 VAC items work on inverted power). The outbacks are 3,600 watts each.

Assuming it plugs into a 15 amp circuit , max watts would be 1,800, a bit more than your. 1,500 watt inverter. Most likely, it would work on low l medium , high but not ultra high. I have 1,800 watt commercial induction cooktops in Sunsine and they work fine on my pure sine wave Outback inverters (all my 120 VAC items work on inverted power). The outbacks are 3,600 watts each.
How do you like your out backs? Are they inverter/charger units? Were might have to replace our trace, as it's giving us an error. We've looked at mastervolts and magnums.

I can't recommend them highly enough (the Out Back)" inverters. Low overhead. Reliable. Fabulous customer service ( replaced ALL the circuit boards of a unit that was not working correctly - for free).

Since mine are located in a dry space, I use the non-sealed units. They have a bit more power.

Charger/inverter units. Can be ganged to provide more amps at 120 V or to produce the same amps at 240 V. Remote is a bit basic but has loads of info.

Now that I have a Lithium battery I no longer use the charger part having a dedicated charger. The OB has a variety of charge settings, including AGM.

On ALL our new builds of Island Pilots, I plan on using the Outbacks. I have used Heart, Trace, Xantex and others.

Back
Top Bottom