New US built Catamaran Trawler - Maltese52

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltese52

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Maltese 52
Wanted to introduce and get a little feedback on our new Trawlercat design the Maltese MP52-Trawler. A 52 ft light displacement, fuel efficient power cat with some Downeast styling cues. We hope to do semi custom builds like the one nearly completed for customers looking for something that is designed, built, and configured for the way most of us actually use our trawlers which is coastal trips and day outings with friends and family. Feel free to take a look at our website and share some thoughts or questions. MALTESE CATAMARANS

As a small operation, its nice to get some grassroots feedback.
:)

Attachments

• MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg
    MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 375
  • 12-1.jpg
    12-1.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 342
fuel efficient power cat

And the speed /fuel burn chart is???

Any specs? HP? Speed predictions? Fuel calls?

Hulls look lean - length/waterline beam ratio?

Looks pretty slippery. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check out the web site.

Great idea trawler cats...

But that cabin has to go... And I thought the Dashew boats cabin's looked boxy..

Redesign the cabin and you might be able to sell more. Sorry to to rip the design but somebody has to say it..

Great looking hulls though..

HOLLYWOOD

The front end tie strut, potential loadings and connection points look interesting. So much competition for Cats in this size range too

With all of the hi-tech materials you are using to build this vessel, what do you suppose your pricing is going to look like??

Great idea trawler cats...

But that cabin has to go... And I thought the Dashew boats cabin's looked boxy..

Redesign the cabin and you might be able to sell more. Sorry to to rip the design but somebody has to say it..

Great looking hulls though..

HOLLYWOOD

I agree; that house design will stop most prospective buyers in their tracks I would think. Also wonder about the sloped surfaces inside the cabin that would be useless where one would expect flat shelves.

There are some fantastic power cat designs and builders out there , that is just another sail cat with the mast off and yes the wheelhouse design could do with a whole heap more design, flair at the moment it looks like a butter box to agricultural.
It would have to look a lot better if you are going to put them on the market, Australia is full of failed catamaran designs that did not appeal to the public and or had poor quality finish.
Cheers
Benn

I think its a pretty darn nice design. It looks fuel efficient , roomy, and rather sleek. Cats cant really to conform too much to mono hull design since they all end up looking, to some degree, like some sort of aquatic insect when you see them from ahead or abaft. But cat design is well proven so; I think the downeast styling is cool, but I think you have taken it a little too far.. Im specifically talking about the vertical/plumb windshield on the front of the main salon. If your making a sailboat, I would expect the front windshields to slope down and forward. If your making it a power boat, maybe reverse the slope of the windshields in the main salon or slope them down and forward as I suggested before.. And why no flybridge? or even a pilothouse on top of the main salon? After all there is no pesky boom and rigging to get in the way and you do have all that real estate just begging for more structure..

Looks great, though! Please keep us informed on the build!

Scott

Come-on guys. Even being a cat lover, I can't think of a handful of good looking "trawler cats". Functional, yes, good looking, not too many. The MaineCat 47 is a decent looking Downeast style catamaran, PDQ 41, maybe Leopard 38 & 47, Africat 42, the older Lagoon 43-44 was pretty sexy, Fontaine Pajot 37 Maryland was a balanced looking vessel, and their 40 and above new models are pretty slick. I haven't seen the 47 Journey yet, and the new charter cats built for Marine Max are a good use of space, but not what I'd call attractive.

I've come to appreciate cats for what they offer, but if I wanted a trawler cat (trawler cat being a vessel that is capable, efficient and having trawler like features and space) that made me swoon, it would have to be swoon of practicality or a very expensive custom build. By the way, at the last Trawler Fest in Ft. Lauderdale, Leopard had their 38 tied in front of a new 44 Endeavour, and I have to say that Endeavour won the looks contest this time. Bob Vincent did a pretty good job of a minor restyle on the pilothouse, and the sweeping high bows made her look much better. My opinion.

Indikon Catamaran

What is it with Califormia?,...everyone whats to come out with a new powercat,....ha...ha

Here is another one I saw at the Powerboat show and the Sailboat shows in Annapolis this past fall. I posted the link and the photo over on the Powercat subject thread where we were reviewing a host of different designs.

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Powercat Trawlers

I'll just insert a cross-linked subject thread I started on powercat trawlers:
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/powercat-trawlers-11299.html

...and then wonder that you fellows couldn't find happiness with the Journey 46 or the Domino 20m powercats??

Brian,
I think you and I agree that Domino is one of if not the most fully conceived power cat built to date. She just looks right from all angles and she is putting in the miles right now.

Domino in Jackson Creek, Deltaville, VA two years ago.

Attachments

• IMAG0866.jpg
    IMAG0866.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 214
  • IMAG0867.jpg
    IMAG0867.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMAG0869.jpg
    IMAG0869.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
It would have to look a lot better if you are going to put them on the market, Australia is full of failed catamaran designs that did not appeal to the public and or had poor quality finish.
Cheers
Benn
Benn, the larger Seawind sailing cats seem popular, do they figure in hire fleets up north?The builder may have changed by now but I remember having fun on an original Seawind 23.
I see a Voyager power cat regularly on Sydney Harbour. Could be the same one, or there could be several around.

A few of our locally produced cats, built in Noosa and Bundaberg.

Attachments

• K Dick cat #2.jpg
    K Dick cat #2.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Kev Dick Cat 36 ft.jpg
    Kev Dick Cat 36 ft.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 232
  • P6300032.jpg
    P6300032.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 195
  • P6300033.jpg
    P6300033.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 192
  • P6300034.jpg
    P6300034.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 187
  • P6300035.jpg
    P6300035.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 194
Come-on guys. Even being a cat lover, I can't think of a handful of good looking "trawler cats". Functional, yes, good looking, not too many. The MaineCat 47 is a decent looking Downeast style catamaran, PDQ 41, maybe Leopard 38 & 47, Africat 42, the older Lagoon 43-44 was pretty sexy, Fontaine Pajot 37 Maryland was a balanced looking vessel, and their 40 and above new models are pretty slick. I haven't seen the 47 Journey yet, and the new charter cats built for Marine Max are a good use of space, but not what I'd call attractive.
I agree with you Healhustler, there are not a lot of pretty ones out there. That Mainecat is a very functional 'New England' looking vessel that is nicely proportioned.

You should have a look thru a lot of the Journey 46/47 presentation,...and particularly some of the archived webpages they have since removed,...some of the stuff they presented as they were developing and building the first vessel. These guys were a couple of brokers who put a lot of effort into researching the market and developing that design. It is a nice looking functional design. Too bad they hit the market just when the whole boating market went upside down. I'm guessing they are going to have trouble surviving,...in fact quite a lot of new projects may have trouble surviving these times.

That Tennant designed Domino 20 is a nice looking design

I'll post some more photos of that HongKong 40 when I get a chance. Even she is a better looking boat than this Maltese

Last edited:
Bruce,
Seawind are one of the most successful sailing catamaran builders in Australia, I think now produced in Thailand or the Phillipines not sure.
They did take on the Tasman power cats at one stage but don't know if they are still in production, these were another power cat that looked very much like a sailing cat same as the Perry cats and their power version.

Seawinds are still very popular in the charter fleets although the Frogie cats seem to have a big the edge now days.

Cheers
Benn

Sorry Gang,
didn't see the amount of posts till now. I appreciate the comments about the MP52-Trawler (the good and bad ones) and Brian I do know some of the other designs out there like the Indikon project. They seem to be going about things the standard industry way, that is design, market, sell, then Build.
Being a young but long time member of the marine industry, I have seen many fortunes spent on trying to introduce new designs that never go anywhere and didn't want to fall casualty to that. So I took the build it and they will come approach (hopefully):)
I do get some grief about the cabin house design, though many can't argue with its functionality in real world use. It is a little commercial/military looking but with the teak brow and railings planned, I think it will come together nicely. Its just hard to envision at moment but think down east style look? Of course we are offering and willing to change the design for any potential customer. Speaking of customers we hope to find one soon as we are offering the base boat pricing of 450K motor away...
Really enjoy the exchange and happy to answer any questions.;)
As for the Power Chart and Fuel Burn Numbers, hope to have those options all charted and added to the Website shortly. But they are looking good!!

Attachments

• MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg
    MP52-Trawlercolor.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 12-10.jpg
    12-10.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 194
  • 12-15.jpg
    12-15.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 196
Brian,
I really enjoyed reading all your posts over the last few years and know that your a big proponent of multihull industry... So It does hurt my feelings a bit you don't love the Maltese MP Trawler but you seem like a hard man to please and enjoy your feedback nevertheless. We must meet and have a drink one day to discuss some of the ideas you've written about. I for one particularly enjoy the Downeast/Classic styling vs the curvy aero lines that look great but suffer in functionality. As they say more than one way to skin a cat...

I think that the pricing of some of the other boats you mentioned are 800K for the Mainecat P47, 889K for the Journey 47, the HK starts at 300K? base price?
Remember that the Maltese is a Corecell Foam Epoxy built boat with Awlgrip Finish. Its easy to keep things cheaper with Gelcoat, balsa, and Polyester.
Don't forget she was built in the good old USA :) So I think 450K Motor Away pricing is very fair. I'll even redesign the cabin house for you...:banghead:

I agree with you Healhustler, there are not a lot of pretty ones out there. That Mainecat is a very functional 'New England' looking vessel that is nicely proportioned.

You should have a look thru a lot of the Journey 46/47 presentation,...and particularly some of the archived webpages they have since removed,...some of the stuff they presented as they were developing and building the first vessel. These guys were a couple of brokers who put a lot of effort into researching the market and developing that design. It is a nice looking functional design. Too bad they hit the market just when the whole boating market went upside down. I'm guessing they are going to have trouble surviving,...in fact quite a lot of new projects may have trouble surviving these times.

That Tennant designed Domino 20 is a nice looking design

I'll post some more photos of that HongKong 40 when I get a chance. Even she is a better looking boat than this Maltese

Tida,
The common theme of all the cats you displayed are they have the Power Yacht look vs a Downeast Style / Trawler look that we were going for. Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I understand how these designs can appealing.

Yeah Pete when I was getting serious about cats some years ago I approached Scimitar re building a larger version as the 1010 is just a bit small for full time living and cruising.
They said it was in the pipeline but never happened.
Didn't happen anyway.
Cheers
Benn

Yeah Pete when I was getting serious about cats some years ago I approached Scimitar re building a larger version as the 1010 is just a bit small for full time living and cruising.
They said it was in the pipeline but never happened.
Didn't happen anyway.
Cheers
Benn

Probably should have spoken to Peter directly
img-2.jpg

Welcome to the Frontpage

I like this one as well, without the tower
3131392_0_20110116155358_3_0.jpg

http://www.boats.com/listing/galler...g-60/117724811?r=117724811&entityid=117724811

Last edited:
Wanted to introduce and get a little feedback on our new Trawlercat design the Maltese MP52-Trawler.

This will have squatting problems under power I think.

mx.jpg

Shouldnt it be more reversed, flattened and squared up in the bum, like this but even squarer?

p29.png

Ok, I'll toss my newbie $.02 in here.
FWIW, I kind of like the design of the cabin. The low, as you put it commercial/military design, from the side, the design sort of reminds me of some of the old school yachts belonging to various stars, moguls and presidents that I've seen over the years. The old school look kind of appeals to me :thumb:

I do agree that a pilot house or flybridge should be added. The low profile cabin doesn't appear to lend itself well to docking and close quarter maneuvering such a wide boat.

The wife and I were at one of the local Marinas a couple of days ago, and there was a 60?' cat in for maintenance. What an awesome sight:D but very modern and "sterile".

Then we walked over and checked out a Ranger Tug, a GB and an older Trawler (sorry, I forgot to check the make while I was busy drooling}.

Now I love catamarans, but the looks of the older, more conventional trawler's still won my heart. I guess for me at least, it's the difference between the old and new. Maybe it's my age, or maybe it's a desire for a simpler time, but the looks of a conventional trawler keep winning me over.

That square cabin on your design adds just that sort of old school look.
IDK, maybe if you added a slight roundness to the forward area of the cabin in may be more appealing some?

Anyway, cool design. Way outside my budget, and boat design is above my pay grade, but all the best with the sales:thumb:

OD

Oh Yeah! I like them both, but especially the more masculine, workboat lines of the first one. Schweet!

If you want to sell the M52 you wil need to change the cabin... it isnt modern, utility, or industrial looking.
Boats need to have a look that appears slippery.. streamlined to go into the wind etc..

Below are boats that have the boxy modern look but still pull it off. I even included a Dashew boat ( FPB.. which I think means fugly power boat ) as much more pleasing to the eye.

I know that the builder appears to be trying to market a US built cat for a reasonable price.. but it is off the mark. Of course this is just my opinion but I hate to see someone get in so deep because no one will stand up and declare it is less than pleasing.

A good looking boat uses the same materials as a ugly one... it is just a different use of the materials

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 625
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 616
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 608
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 681
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 702
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 673
Maltese52 Trawler

Hollywood & OD,
Appreciate your comments and do acknowledge that the cabin house design is weak point of design. Probably too much input from me :) wanting that masculine look that you speak of. Potential clients who have seen it in person either love it or hate it, but the functionality is hard to beat. Without the teak brow trim that was planned and railings it does look bare at moment. Will be adding some alternative house design to our site shortly to help calm some nerves :)

However we are offering to redesign/change the cabin house for any potential client so there is a perfect opportunity to say "I want that" at we can make it happen. I for one prefer the workboat cabin house style and have some confidence that will look nice when complete.

As for power and speed projections. We are working up chart for 75hp to 120hp. Looking to get cruising speeds of 12-15kts. You don't experience the squatting problems mentioned unless you try running this hull design over 20kts as per design team. Hence the MP52 - Trawler. Plus 10-12 is the sweet spot according to the cruising legends.? No

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom