inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cpw5

I am going to install an inverter on my 36 foot trawler.*I will be using it to run my*new tv/dvd player, laptop, microwave etc.
On doing some research on inverters, the lastest Practical Sailor says that you should use a pure sine wave inverter to power the items that I plan on using it for. |For example, PS says that lines will show up on the tv if using a modified sine wave.*
PSW are considerable more expensive than a modified sine wave ones.
Does anyone use a modified sine wave now to power the latest tv's, laptops etc.? Are there any issues that you see with using a MSW instead of a PSW?
Thanks in advance for your input.
CPW5

I use a 1750watt Xantrex modified sine wave inverter on my 36' trawler to run the exact same things you mentioned as well as a few others. I have never had any problem running any of the equipment, they all perform the same as when I'm on shore power.

I would not recommend Xantrex based on recent issues with quality and after sale service. We recently installed an inverter on board,* [url]http://tinyurl.com/ygne73d[/url]
and have never had issues running any electrical or electronics from this type of inverter. We don't get any interference on our digital TV, satellite receiver, DVD recorder/player or anything else. Chuck

Chuck, Daddyo, thanks very much for your comments.*I will not be purchasing a Xantrex. Chuck,*I have at looked at your installation on your site and*I will probably go the same route. I have been following your site for a couple of years now and*I have got alot of good info from it. Thanks very much.

Don't know about the Xantrex problems but my unit which is a couple of years old has worked without issues. What are the new problems?

Daddyo wrote:

Don't know about the Xantrex problems but my unit which is a couple of years old has worked without issues. What are the new problems?
Have a Xantrex Link 1000 with Heart Interface 3000w inverter/charger. I too would like to know what problems these unit might visit upon me.

Hey,

What problems? I would like to know too, I am selling a new Freedom 20 in the classifieds here (that I am not going to use) but if there are problems with these, I will pull the ad, I sure don't want to stick a forum member with a problem.

My charger is a Xantrex 40 amp which seems to work fine and is several years old.

cpw5 wrote:

Does anyone use a modified sine wave now to power the latest tv's, laptops etc.? Are there any issues that you see with using a MSW instead of a PSW?
Thanks in advance for your input.
CPW5
We use a modified sine wave to power almost all 110vac equipment on our boat.* The only exception is our Toyo oil stove that uses a VFD* (variable frequency drive) to control the speed of the blower motor.* The installation instructions specifically said not to use a modified sine wave inverter, so after a little research, I purchased an inverter used in the RV industry for less than half the price of a marine unit.* The one I used is identical to the marine unit,(according to the manufacturer)* except for the outlet plug being on the opposite side.* Otherwise, our modified wave unit powers our computers, entertainment system, microwave and everything else just fine.* ...............Well now that I think of it, we did go through two electric blankets in which the controller failed almost immediately.* After the second one, it occurred to me that it probably didn't like the inverter, so I went back to an old blanket that works great. So, for most things I think the modified wave works fine..................Arctic Traveller

Stop and see us at the San Diego Trawler Fest* March 4,5 and 6th

I have a Xantrex 2kw inverter/charger that has performed flawlessly for the past 4 or 5 years.
Don't have an opinion on modified v true sine wave. Never had any troubles with either. I used to use small, cheap inverters, still have one on my laptop, 300 watt, bought it at Costco.

The key reason for a true sine wave inverter is to operate a large induction motor to full output.

If you are running a water maker scuba compressor or air cond from the inverter the results will be far better with a sine wave.

The fact that the wave form is crap matters only to some bubble jet printers and a rare few items.

Most TV take the power offered and change it to what it needs.

A microwave will loose speed but not burn out, just need 10% to 15% more time to reach temps.

An interesting experiment is to put a measuring pitcher in the microwave and bring it to a boil with shore power. Then do it again on the inverter on battery power.A stopwatch will show the time difference .

For a better look at inverters go to Home Power Mag and read about the 1/2 dozen different methods of creating "house current".

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 2nd of March 2010 05:22:34 AM

I've also had good luck with with Xantrex inverters. I just finished install the Freedom 2500 model with no problems except the electric blanket.

Dave

koliver wrote:

I have a Xantrex 2kw inverter/charger that has performed flawlessly for the past 4 or 5 years.
Don't have an opinion on modified v true sine wave. Never had any troubles with either. I used to use small, cheap inverters, still have one on my laptop, 300 watt, bought it at Costco.

I hear this over and over again in these types for threads on how my 5 year old or ten year old equipment is working just fine. The issue becomes that 5 or 10 year old equipment IS NOT the same equipment or quality that is put out today so that comparison won't be helpful to anyone looking for feedback, as will comments that I just installed mine last week and it is working fine.* Chuck

OK Chuck,
Since your the one who said there is a problem with these inverters and we're just asking what the problem is how about you get off your horse and instead of lecturing us on how to phrase a question you just answer it? Is that better Sir?
disbelief.gif

-- Edited by Daddyo on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 12:09:47 AM

Although I have Xantrex( works fine), the "best" units according to Steve Dashew are Victrons. Since Dashew seems to be right on most things cruising, that brand would be my replacement. Inverters are only as good as the systems and chargers they are hooked up with - so IMHO the brand is less important than the overall system design and installation protocol.

sunchaser wrote:

Although I have Xantrex( works fine), the "best" units according to Steve Dashew are Victrons. Since Dashew seems to be right on most things cruising, that brand would be my replacement. Inverters are only as good as the systems and chargers they are hooked up with - so IMHO the brand is less important than the overall system design and installation protocol.
I have seen several recent high end instillation's using Outback inverters, and think they may be worthy of consideration too, although they are expensive...............Arctic Traveller

Daddyo wrote:

OK Chuck,
Since your the one who said there is a problem with these inverters and we're just asking what the problem is how about you get off your horse and instead of lecturing us on how to phrase a question you just answer it? Is that better Sir?
disbelief.gif

-- Edited by Daddyo on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 12:09:47 AM

They fail, the chargers stop charging, the inverters stop inverting, the monitors stop monitoring. Is that adequate ? Chuck

No but thanks for playing, bye.

"with no problems except the electric blanket."

There are 12V electric SHEETS made for boats and trucks.

Our 30 year old units are still fine .

The sheet goes under a mattress pad and the normal covering works as insulation.

Offshore (on the bright side) about 15 min before the watch change

the stander would brew a cup of Joe for the next watch keeper and flip on the sheet.

The bunk was warm and toasty in 15 min so time lost shivering , waiting for the bunk to warm was Zero, allowing 4on 4 of to be acceptable (sort of).

Even with more crew with 3 on 6 off, the warm bunk made the trips so comfortable that passagemaking was relaxing.

FF

FF wrote:

Even with more crew with 3 on 6 off, the warm bunk made the trips so comfortable that passagemaking was relaxing.

FF
Our older electric blanket works just fine, it seems to have some type of by-metalic switch in the controller, while the newer ones seem to be all electronic, and dislike anything less than a perfect sinewave. As for watches, I prefer a crew of three and a watch schedule of four on, and four off.* I also prefer the four to eight schedule as it allows me to watch the sun coming up, and going down.* After sunset, I can get a full nights sleep, but will still be relatively rested if I'm needed on the bridge in the middle of the night (and all watch standers are told to call me if they have ANY questions, or a radar target enters a two mile range marker on the radar).* The electric blanket does make it a little harder to get out of the rack though........Arctic Traveller

With a good self steering gear , moderate weather or an autopilot 4 hours at night is LONG , at least for me.

Xantrex True Sine Wave 1800 watt inverter....6 years old and no problems!

John, As I said earlier, your 6 year old inverter is nothing like the inverter you can buy from Xantrex today. They have changed the units, the manufacturing standards and the components. That is why I mentioned that getting feedback on the same equipment but older may not be a recommendation to buy that same equipment today. Raymarine is a good example. There is 10 year old or more Raymarine equipment operating perfectly out there, but that same radar or depth sounder or whatever is a totally different animal today. And not necessarily for the better. We have major manufacturers that have a failure rate of almost 50 % right out of the box and brand new, and have another 20% fail before it is a year old. That same manufacturers equipment even 5 years ago would never have a problem and is probably fully functional today. I just believe that folks coming onto sites like this looking for recommendations need to understand that rather than go out and buy a piece of equipment based on several recommendations that read "Mine have been working great for years" , they need to do more research and get some current, real life feedback. Chuck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom