Feeling a bit nervous...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peter B

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Make
Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Ok, the time has come - can't put it off any longer - tomorrow Lotus comes out of the water for antifoul, insurance survey, and a couple of other jobs: e.g. replacement of raw water seacock, impeller, and repack of the stuffing box with that teflon impregnated packing. It is just over 3 years since she went in, and for sure the zincs will be need replacing as well, and I will be very interested to see how the Prop-speed has lasted, as it is the first time I have had that put on. I will take pics before the pressure clean, no matter how horrible, and after shots as well, of course, when ready to go back in, so you will all be able to judge for yourselves.

Peter,
Will be interesting to see how it all is.
3 years is a long time for prop speed, 2 is the very best that I have ever had.
Get the photos up, hope all goes well.
Cheers
Benn

Pete,

I know how you feel, Siesta is being hauled out next week for some work to be done.

I will post a separate thread with photo's in due course.

Good luck with yours.

3 years is a long time for all of that stuff!!!! Good luck!!!!

Zincs - 3 yrs - WOW! You been keeping an eye on em? Must be some real "cool" electric areas in which you keep her. Looking forward to see your picts. Best Luck! :thumb:

Pete, 3 years will be a very good effort if all comes up well. I had 2 years out of antifoul (Jotun Seaguardian) and figured that was good. Looking forward to the pics.

Ok, the time has come - can't put it off any longer - tomorrow Lotus comes out of the water for antifoul, insurance survey, and a couple of other jobs: e.g. replacement of raw water seacock, impeller, and repack of the stuffing box with that teflon impregnated packing. It is just over 3 years since she went in, and for sure the zincs will be need replacing as well, and I will be very interested to see how the Prop-speed has lasted, as it is the first time I have had that put on. I will take pics before the pressure clean, no matter how horrible, and after shots as well, of course, when ready to go back in, so you will all be able to judge for yourselves.

Looking forward to pics of the props and shafts. Am considering applying Prop Speed!

Looking forward to pics of the props and shafts. Am considering applying Prop Speed!

My boat has it and I elected not to put more on since I have a diver clean the bottom monthly. I'm hoping I made the right choice.

The one time I hauled after 3 years was at Craig Alaska and had little fowling due to my northern lats and the great performance of the Interlux Micron Extra coating. I'll NEVER use it again because it was hard and had quite a build. Was a terrible job to get the stuff off.

I adjusted the pics to best show the bottom. The prop had only ArmorAll to help prevent fowling.

I'm going to haul more often in the future and use a coating I'll not have to scrape off.

Attachments

• STH71237 copy.jpg
    STH71237 copy.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 157
  • STH71238 copy.jpg
    STH71238 copy.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 167
  • STH71244 copy.jpg
    STH71244 copy.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 164
The one time I hauled after 3 years was at Craig Alaska and had little fowling due to my northern lats and the great performance of the Interlux Micron Extra coating. I'll NEVER use it again because it was hard and had quite a build. Was a terrible job to get the stuff off.

I adjusted the pics to best show the bottom. The prop had only ArmorAll to help prevent fowling.

I'm going to haul more often in the future and use a coating I'll not have to scrape off.

Hi Eric

Some place before I've read/heard of this technique for keeping prop blades clean but I never followed up on it. I'm real interested now... 3 yrs in salt water with just ArmorAll kept your prop that clean?? Did you have diver do prop cleaning during that time... clean it at all after haul out? How did you apply the ArmorAll, just one thorough coat or several coats after each dried? Looks to be a good-go per pict of your prop! :thumb:

Siesta was last out of the water 14 months ago (at the time of purchase) and I had prop speed applied. I will report the results in the 'Siesta 2013 haul out thread" (yet to the be established) next week for those that are interested.

Last edited:
The ArmorAll thing does not sound right. But Eric`s prop says otherwise. If it washes off tyres surely it washes off a prop. But, maybe not. Anyone else used it?
Someone recently asked about copper plating props. I don`t think the thread went far, but there was logic in the question.

My boat has it and I elected not to put more on since I have a diver clean the bottom monthly. I'm hoping I made the right choice.

Well BB, you did, bacause the one thing one must not do with Prop-speed is rub it - it comes off. Thats how it works, and I can relate already that things went well, and I was impressed with how little was on the prop, and how well she cleaned up with the pressure wash. I felt like telling them to just plop her back in - almost… But seriously, the zincs still had half their meat left, as well - take note Art…
So…all in all…pretty pleased, and that was with (International/Interlux) Micron Extra two coats, and the Prop-speed on prop only. Maybe it should go on the rudder too. What do you think Benn..?
I'd say she scrubbed up quite well for 3 + yrs in warm Queensland waters. Normally when she comes out the prop looks ilke that first pic of the rudder, totally encrusted…
!st 2 shots before clean - 2nd 2 after pressure hose clean…

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Peter,
That looks pretty good.
No don.t Prop Speed the rudder , just dive on it now and again and give it a clean.
It requires that nice smooth surface like a bronze prop to be really effective.
Looks like you have done really well.
Cheers
Benn

Well BB, you did, bacause the one thing one must not do with Prop-speed is rub it - it comes off. Thats how it works, and I can relate already that things went well, and I was impressed with how little was on the prop, and how well she cleaned up with the pressure wash. I felt like telling them to just plop her back in - almost… But seriously, the zincs still had half their meat left, as well - take note Art…
So…all in all…pretty pleased, and that was with (International/Interlux) Micron Extra two coats, and the Prop-speed on prop only. Maybe it should go on the rudder too. What do you think Benn..?
I'd say she scrubbed up quite well for 3 + yrs in warm Queensland waters. Normally when she comes out the prop looks ilke that first pic of the rudder, totally encrusted…
!st 2 shots before clean - 2nd 2 after pressure hose clean…
Looks like Prop Speed did the trick! Don't remember if you said you applied it yourself?? I have read up on installation which is pretty specific- and given the cost, would probably apply myself.

Propspeed works, this is 13 months in Florida water never touched by anyone, just spun at least every 2 weeks. This picture was taken after pressure washing but I told them not to touch the prop as I did not want any ill effects to the coating.

img_196573_0_6c3b33a91bdc859f4055768aec11310f.jpg

Peter your bum looks better than I anticipated for 3 years in warm water. Made a believer out of me, when Bliss gets her bottom done the prop will be treated similarly.

Peter, Clearly what you are doing works well. The Propspeed is impressive, I`ll try it next time.

Hi Eric

Some place before I've read/heard of this technique for keeping prop blades clean but I never followed up on it. I'm real interested now... 3 yrs in salt water with just ArmorAll kept your prop that clean?? Did you have diver do prop cleaning during that time... clean it at all after haul out? How did you apply the ArmorAll, just one thorough coat or several coats after each dried? Looks to be a good-go per pict of your prop! :thumb:

You read about it????

I have an old (73) Buick that I bought about 14 years ago and the guy covered the whole car w ArmorAll. Actually I'm only 95% sure it's ArmorAll. But 10 years later the water beads up on the car everywhere. At hwy speeds the water beads up in very small drops and runs across the windshield. At rest drops on the hood can be 1/2" in dia. The effect is still strong.
Anyway I noticed it and thought if it can stay on the car at hwy speeds for all those years it may stay on the prop.
Been putting it on ever since and my prop stays clean. You must realize that in the cold Alaskan waters fowling takes place much slower than places like Florida. I don't remember much fowling before I started using the ArmorAll either so the effects may to quite likely be minimal.
To apply I wipe it on w a rag w several coats as heavy as I can. And I wash the prop w Acetone or MEK before application.

You read about it????

I have an old (73) Buick that I bought about 14 years ago and the guy covered the whole car w ArmorAll. Actually I'm only 95% sure it's ArmorAll. But 10 years later the water beads up on the car everywhere. At hwy speeds the water beads up in very small drops and runs across the windshield. At rest drops on the hood can be 1/2" in dia. The effect is still strong.
Anyway I noticed it and thought if it can stay on the car at hwy speeds for all those years it may stay on the prop.
Been putting it on ever since and my prop stays clean. You must realize that in the cold Alaskan waters fowling takes place much slower than places like Florida. I don't remember much fowling before I started using the ArmorAll either so the effects may to quite likely be minimal.
To apply I wipe it on w a rag w several coats as heavy as I can. And I wash the prop w Acetone or MEK before application.

TY Eric - Now I recall you posting that about your Buick some time ago. I'm going to purchase some ArmorAll liquid and begin testing on various items' different surafces. Your reports are notable of ongoing results. :thumb:

Last edited:
...zincs still had half their meat left, as well - take note Art… So…all in all…pretty pleased

Hey Peter

50% zinc still there after 3 yrs - Congrats! That's great for salt water!

You must have low electric current in your area. In salt I usually need to replace zinc in 6 months to about 1 yr max. In fresh water with low electric current area zinc can still have some mass left up to 4 yrs. However, zinc in fresh water builds oxidation coating and requires wire brushing at least three times annually. Too much oxidation build up and zinc's anode quality can be greatly reduced or even nullified if left too long. Magnesium works well in fresh and needs no brushing. In salt mag evaporates too quickly and zinc flakes quickly enough so oxidation never builds.

Happy Launch and Boating Daze!! - Art

Good stuff Pete!!

My turn next Tuesday. I will start a separate thread on Monday.

As you guys know from previous posts I am a great advocate of Prop Speed and have been using it for about 6 years after many years of battling growth in the semi tropics using any and everything to treat the prop.
This stuff is just hard to beat, I think there may still be photos in my album on this forum from years ago supporting this.
Nice stuff Peter you must feel pretty good after that haul out , I suppose the antifoul was starting to loose its life after all that time.

Cheers
Benn

I see a lot of yards now spraying the props with a heavy coat of zinc paint. As well as shafts and underwater hardware. If marine growth stays off anodes would not it hold true for any metal item coated with zinc ?? Must investigate deeper. How bout zinc paint then coat with ArmorAll.

Before changing to Prop Speed zinc painting was one of the systems that I had tried. About the same effectiveness as hard antifoul.
Cheers
Benn

Not so nervous now...

Ok guys, as promised, here be the after pics - note I decided to have a change of colour and went from blue to black antifoul, but for sure, Prop-speed back on the, well…the prop of course…oh yes, and the small hull blisters, there forever, had not changed...
Sorry a bit of sun glare crept into a couple…

Of course, as usual, costs escalated, hence the nervousness. In the end, thanks to the insurance surveyor, (also required), it needed new raw water seacock and strainer, (plastic strainer no longer allowed - ironic after it's lasted 33 odd years, but that's life), then new impeller, re-packing of stuffing box, finally the antifoul and Prop-speed...
Still, now I can rest easy...apart from the bills of course. Wife not impressed, as usual.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Image 6.jpg
    Image 6.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 128
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Image 7.jpg
    Image 7.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Peter,
Looks good.
As my Partner says it is for my state of mental health so it doesn't matter.

You seem to carry a lot of zinc around the boat , have you had it tested as it would appear it is over zinced.
Some years ago I had mine tested whilst in water and as such reduced the zincs by 50% the next slipping and paint and underwater fittings have been a lot better and the zincs work well.

Nice to be back in the water isn't it.
Cheers
Benn

Peter great picts, looks real good, nice bottom, glad all went well! Dem wifes - Geeeezzz! Maybe it's your boats pretty bottom that has your Admiral all a flurry! lol

Tidahapah - Interesting comment about over zinced: Not that I think my boat is... but how do you test for that? Is there a formula for ratio of anode compared to exposed diode in the water... or is it a galvanization/corrosion meter that tells the story while in the water? Must be different amounts per anode - vs - diode regarding immersion in Salt, brakeage, fresh waters... do you have a net address with scientific explanation on correct anode amounts?

Interesting topic... fastbottoms will probably have good input, hope he reads this thread.

Art: We had a corrosion survey done this past July and it was well worth the $65 we paid for one hour. We've put Hobo in a marina, that's up a river, in brackish water and the summer rains hadn't really started yet. We wanted to see if our bonding system was in good order and that we didn't have any stray current in AC or DC systems.

The results showed that the bonding system and AC/DC systems were fine and we were within the recommended range of -550 to -1100 millivolt. We tested -635 millivolts. The technician suggested that even adding more zincs may not get us more negative because of the freshwater content potently increasing so he suggested that we switch to aluminum anodes. A week later after changing from zinc to aluminum anodes he retested. The reading was -1028. We changed out a 6" x12" x 1/2" plate, prop and rudder zinc all to aluminum. The change-over was ~$10 more.

Boatzincs.com has a carrion quiz that has some useful information.

Corrosion Quiz: Question 1

Check out the corrosion site that Larry M has suggested.
Good info.
Cheers
Benn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom