Stability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vessel Name
---
Talking about stability, this ship, the Zhen Hua from Shanghai, entered Rotterdam last week. The voyage lasted 2 month, the 3 large cranes have a height off 127 meters.

kranen.jpg

Last edited:
There was a similar ship that came into Miami, not to long ago.

Attachments

• image-1192215623.jpg
    image-1192215623.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 560
Wow! And I thought some of the recently launched mega-cruise-ships looked top-heavy!

There seems to be a lot of latitude on this Forum for just exactly what the word "trawler" means. But I'll just bet that we can all agree that these are not trawlers! :)

Reiziger,
That's unbelievable. I wonder if they can shift the weight in some way? Doing that for a beam wind could promote some excitement if the wind died quickly. Paravanes?

jwnall,
After a year here you should know we have plenty of "latitude".
Speaking of latitude could you post a pic of your interesting avatar?
Can't make out much in the tiny thumbnail.

Last edited:
Speaking of latitude could you post a pic of your interesting avatar?
Can't make out much in the tiny thumbnail.

Google "the wind in the willows illustrations"

Are they delivering the cranes for use on land at a port or do they operate off of the ship?

Are they delivering the cranes for use on land at a port or do they operate off of the ship?

I'd like to see them get the cranes on and off the ship. What do they use? A bigger crane?

I think I have seen that dude in the Houston Ship Channel. They had to close the entire channel for it's transit.

I suppose they gain some stability in the same way a tight-rope walker does, with the long balancing pole. But they can't raise and lower these, so ?
It's hard to believe they make long voyages with these things on the deck!

And sometimes it goes wrong, February 2nd. 2008 the "Zhen Hua 10" was beached on the beach of Hook of Holland in a 11 Beaufort gale with an average wave height of 7-8 meters.

kranen2.jpg

Last edited:
Those Naval Architects earned their money with those crane transports. Looks like balancing a pencil point on a razor blade.

Those Naval Architects earned their money with those crane transports. Looks like balancing a pencil point on a razor blade.

Craig, did you notice that it looked like they flooded the tanks to get under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I guess they can do that to adjust the height for loading and unloading.

Craig, did you notice that it looked like they flooded the tanks to get under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I guess they can do that to adjust the height for loading and unloading.

I didn't click any of the links above but have been involved with enough "lifts" in my career to have a decent idea of what is possible Don. Adjusting ballast
at the dock is integral to loading and unloading as I imagine they are slid from dock to ship and back again. The only crane involved in the process would be used to adjust the dunnage. Once on the dock hydraulic jacks would most likely be doing any lifting and lowering is my best guess.

Big lifts are neat to participate in when done right. The planning and coordination of them are the most stressful part.

Didn't see that shot clearly earlier on my iPhone, wow! How would you like to be a spotter on top of the crane verifying bridge clearance prepping to go under the bridge? Talk about the pucker factor.

And sometimes it goes wrong, February 2nd. 2008 the "Zhen Hua 10" was beached on the beach of Hook of Holland in a 11 Beaufort gale with an average wave height of 7-8 meters.

kranen2.jpg

With all that gear, it looks like they could dig their own escape channel. :rolleyes:

This is what I'm talking about. She sure is riding low. That's not an over the horizon shot. The Bay is very narrow there.

"Unfortunately, the cranes’ massive height also made maneuvering them under the Bay and Francis Scott Key bridges a delicate task.
In order to ensure that the ship would fit under the bridges, crew members lowered the booms on each of the four cranes before passing under the bridges.
Ballast was also added to the ship, weighing it down just enough for the ship to pass under each bridge.
Still, even with these efforts, the clearance between the cranes and the bridges was an estimated six feet, close enough to cause the closure of both bridges for 20 minutes while the ship passed under." Dundalk Eagle

The Admiral and I where cruising in the upper bay in June 2012 and passed this as it was staged for going under the Bay bridge.

Bet the insurance company turned blue until the pass was completed.

Can you imagine if they screwed up the clearance.

This is what I'm talking about. She sure is riding low. That's not an over the horizon shot. The Bay is very narrow there.

All the "Zhen Hua" vessels are Submersible Heavy Cargo Ships.

kranen3.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom