Title has larger size for boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IwillIt

Vessel Make
1983 26' Outer Reef Trawler
Anyone know why my title has my boat 2 feet longer than what its supposed to be. I have a 26' outer reef. Are they including a swim platform if i choose to put one on in the future? Or are they just sticking it to me for the tax on the extra length?

Is the vessel 26' LOA, or the length on the sales brochure? Have you taped it out?

Anyone know why my title has my boat 2 feet longer than what its supposed to be. I have a 26' outer reef. Are they including a swim platform if i choose to put one on in the future? Or are they just sticking it to me for the tax on the extra length?

If you are going to document it you can use the cg form for simplified measurement form cg-5397. Basically anything that is not part of the buoyant hull envelope is excluded. Manufactures who ship their boats use loa's which include bow sprits and swim platforms if the are being shipped attached because that is how they get charged.

Via iPad using Trawler

If you are going to document it you can use the cg form for simplified measurement form cg-5397. Basically anything that is not part of the buoyant hull envelope is excluded. Manufactures who ship their boats use loa's which include bow sprits and swim platforms if the are being shipped attached because that is how they get charged.

Via iPad using Trawler

He's titled, not documented.....

My boat's manufacturer variously describes the length variously as 35 feet, 35 feet 8 inches, and 36 feet. Overall, including the anchor/bow pulpit and folded swim step, it's an estimated 38 feet. To people making a general, non-precise inquiry on the boat's length, I use one of the three manufacturer's descriptions depending on my mood.

The general rule is to describe a boat's length by the length of the hull, excluding extensions such as swim platform and bowsprit and anchor roller and anchor. Manufacturers will usually use an approximation of the overall length including non-hull extensions in order to magnify the boat's size as a marketing strategy. Marinas are likely more interested in the overall length, including overhanging davits/dinghy. For registration or documentation purposes, use hull length unless otherwise specified.

Last edited:

If your registration fee is based on length (or if having the incorrect length registered really irritates you), contact the state and ask how this can be corrected.

I think that fall in a high tax rate at 23. Jut got a dive platform so its close to 28 now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom