Proximity of AM/Fm antenna to Radar Radome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeD

Vessel Name
Siesta
Vessel Make
Pelin Sterling 36
Next week we will be hauling Siesta out for the hull to be cleaned and a new coat of antifoul applied. She will be out of the water for 3 days and then we will be ready for summer :)

At the same time I am replacing the VHF and AM/FM antennas on the mast. The VHF antenna is to top one in the picture below, so don't expect an issues as the new one will be in the same position.

The AM/FM antenna is a 1.8m long whip and will be installed where you see the small antenna in front of the radome. The antenna will therefore be in the path of the signal from the radome.

I am not concerned about interference on the radio from the radar as generally the radio is off when we are using the radar. However, I am questioning whether the antenna might create a blind spot on the radar display. I don't believe it will be an issue but am not sure.

I would appreciate any views or experience with this.

Attachments

• IMG_5990.jpg
    IMG_5990.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 91
Mike,

I have an anchor light within the beam of the radar antenna. I suspect its metal content, larger diameter and greater mass create a larger obstacle to the radar energy than a composite antenna. I have never seen any shadowing from this anchor light mast.

img_196016_0_9ce63c093c34b13350fb98dacf7ed58c.jpg

Thanks Al, I am pretty sure it will be Ok as well, but sometimes it is good to hear from others before you drill holes and run cables.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom