45' Kit Cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
This is a boat I've been watching and talking to the seller about it for awhile. Finally going to go look at it here in a week or so. After my failed GH37 attempt this might seem like an odd switch , but it fits most if my criteria, and I can get it for $78000.

She's not real purty, but it's an interesting boat-- 45', 21' beam. Twin 4 Stroke outboards. 2' draft. Huge interior. Kind of basic and not very "yachty" from what I understand, but I like it.

Can I call this a trawler if I go slow? :) Actually with those big Suzuki outboards I better go slow if I want to pass a gas station. image-3863784440.jpg image-3202214708.jpg More pics https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...2&authkey=!AEbgQrvrEvI4n18&ithint=folder,.JPG

Last edited:
I like it!:dance:
Kind of what I originally had in mind before joining the forum, in motor sailor format.

Info on the Suzuki OB's?

I like it!:dance:
Kind of what I originally had in mind before joining the forum, in motor sailor format.

Info on the Suzuki OB's?

250hp 4 strokes. 2006 model year. 500 hours.

These engines seem like serious overkill to me, but if I cruise them slow I think it might be OK. According to the owner it got 1 nmpg at 18 knots allegedly. 300 gallon fuel capacity.

I had a Suzuki 4 stroke outboard on my last fishing boat and really liked it. Super quiet and good on gas. Could idle it all day long and it didn't care.

Last edited:
I definitely dont like this

082.JPG

Looks to be about 300mm and it'll slam quite badly I would think.
Most decent powercats in that size would have around 700mm or more.
Hard angles on hull to BD joint could lead to stress cracks, it should have been radiused or at least have a large fillet.

Like this
1_3.jpg

82103d1372137793-wheelchair-accessible-powercat-036-copy.jpg

Last edited:
I definitely dont like this

Looks to be about 300mm and it'll slam quite badly I would think.
Most decent powercats in that size would have around 700mm or more.
Hard angles on hull to BD joint could lead to stress cracks, it should have been radiused or at least have a large fillet.

I wondered about slamming as well with that big flat section-- what is the 300mm measurement you mention?

Also, with this hull design at what size chop would it start to slam do you think? I was thinking it would be good for ICW cruising and hopefully the Bahamas.

If it gets rough and starts slamming can you just slow down to stop it? I don't know anything about cats obviously.

That section where it delaminated has been repaired BTW The boat (including hull) vinylester resin cored with nidacore.

Thanks

I wondered about slamming as well with that big flat section-- what is the 300mm measurement you mention?
Bridgedeck panel to water

Also, with this hull design at what size chop would it start to slam do you think? I was thinking it would be good for ICW cruising and hopefully the Bahamas.
I reckon 12 knots of wind and less than a metre

If it gets rough and starts slamming can you just slow down to stop it? I don't know anything about cats obviously.
sure you can and if running downhill it'll be even less of an issue

That section where it delaminated

That should tell you something
Hard points, sharp angles, low BD clearance and 400hp? ridiculous.
In Australia, things like that cruise inside waterways with 2x60hp o/b's

I would be very cautious about taking that boat in open water. I did see her on the ICW and took some pics. That design is only for very flat water.

Holy smokes, Cardude. I never saw that photo of the bridge-deck clearance. Sure would be good for space, but she must be a slammer, maybe a sneezer too. Of course, if you opted to make due with some small outboards and smoother water, all the better for cheap cruising.

Hmmmm. So slamming/sneezing in just 3 foot chop possibly? That would suck. I'm not looking for an offshore boat with this thing, but our bays get rougher than that down here.

I'm scheduled to go look and check it out on the water, so hopefully it will be rough out!

Thanks for all the input...

I can get it for $78000.

She's not real purty, but it's an interesting boat-- 45', 21' beam. Twin 4 Stroke outboards. 2' draft. Huge interior. Kind of basic and not very "yachty" from what I understand, but I like it.

Cardude, one of my main rules (there's only 3) about buying a boat is this....

The wrong boat, at the best price in the world, is still the wrong boat.

Think about it.

Hard headed guy that I am I just had to see this boat, so we flew down last weekend and checked it out and did a sea trial. And hopeless romantic that I am I decided to combine this trip with our anniversary, killing two birds with one stone so to speak! ?

Luckily my DW is open minded and adventurous, and doesn't mind spending part of her anniversary on a home-made catamaran that smells like decomposing reptile inside!

Seriously though, those big four stroke Suzukis back there were so quiet at a 9 knot cruise you could barely hear them. In fact, when the port engine crapped out the captain could not even tell at first! He later tilted that engine up and we made the trip back on one engine at 6 knots and it tracked really well. I guess if one was super fuel conscious the boat could be run on one like this.

We did get out into the gulf for a bit (before the engine failure) and the seas were 2-3 short period swell. Coming out of the jetty we had to head directly into the waves and the boat really pitched like a hobby horse. I don't know if all cats do this or just this one due to a bad design, but it was uncomfortable. The captain (a Nordy delivery captain allegedly) said he would not take this boat in any more than 2-3' seas. I know this was designed as a coastal boat but what happens if one gets caught out in some seas at some point accidentally? It honestly was not all that rough IMO. My wife said turn this thing around-- she had shopping to do.

The outboard idea was interesting and could work IMO, but the engines on this rig sat very low in the water and would not tilt out of the water all the way, so there was serious galvanic pitting going on in the lower units. Also the motor mount at the transom was corroding as it was completely under water. I don't know why they designed it like this. It defeats the idea of an outboard if you can't get it out of the water!

Anyway, we are not going to buy the boat so y'all can all jump on it now. ?

I am currently enjoying the shopping phase of our anniversary! ?

image-1105793551.jpg

Sitting low in the water.

Just came across this thread and looked at the pictures. This boat will slam not only while moving but also when anchored if there is any kind of wind. We bought a small sail cat a few years ago. While bringing her home we anchored one night and a front came through during the night. Just sitting there the slamming was so bad the whole boat shook like it was going to come apart.

Sold her before we got her home.

Bob

Sorry the sea-trial didn't make us all wrong but at least you got to confirm many of your suspicions about the boat, and it is, after all, a point of reference that will bring you that much closer to your dream boat. Now that your done with Slamadamadingdong, what's next:):)

Slamadamadingdong. You're killing me. Lol.

Funny thing was, it never slammed. The guy driving slowed way down when we hit the swells so it never got a chance to slam or sneeze or cough or whatever.

The boat was pretty disappointing overall, but my wife and I had a nice trip. Not sure what my next stupid idea is actually-- think I will lick my wounds and lay low for awhile.

Sorry the sea-trial didn't make us all wrong but at least you got to confirm many of your suspicions about the boat, and it is, after all, a point of reference that will bring you that much closer to your dream boat. Now that your done with Slamadamadingdong, what's next:):)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom