Rub Rail Screws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Quick question. Do these screws hold the wood or just the stainless strip? I want to polish the stainless on a bench but more importantly, Bess wants to refinish the wood more completely without the strip in place.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image-2872104656.jpg
    image-2872104656.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 104
On our boat those screws just hold the SS trim, remove a section and you will probably see much large screws underneath in the wood that hold the wood.

They hold the stainless strip to the wood. When you remove the strip you will see either countersink bolt heads (from the bolts holding on the wood) or wood plugs covering the holes where the bolts live.

Thanks. I actually pulled a few screws and am now sure they are too short to hold the wood on too. Thanks again!!

But of course if you pull the stainless off, and then the wood falls off too, then you will know that you miscalculated! :)

Just baiting you a little, Tom. I agree with the earlier postings about the larger screws underneath.

Check the screw head type and placement.
I think I read that
grand Banks used oval headed screws mostly, but used flat heads to mark where you should place lifting straps.
Ted

Back
Top Bottom