Bring the Dink aboard.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of your links above is the Nick Jackson Co. Nick is currently in the process of making a pipe dinghy crane for Bay Pelican. Will know how it works in another month.

Decision was based on looking forward as the years go by. The system of the last 15 years, block and tackle using Bay Pelican's boom and an electric windlass seems more difficult each year. Also slightly more likely that there will be operator error.

Thus to keep boating we make accommodations.

Marty

I sure do like those Nick Jackson transom davits!

Can't speak as to the proper size, but I can say that I love the crane on our Bayliner.

We have a 750 lb RIB center console, with 30 hp outboard, and the crane makes launching and stowing the skiff a one person job that takes all of 5 minutes.

Can't speak as to the proper size, but I can say that I love the crane on our Bayliner. We have a 750 lb RIB center console, with 30 hp outboard, and the crane makes launching and stowing the skiff a one person job that takes all of 5 minutes.
+1 We just unloaded our dink to get maintenance done on it, it's an easy one man job.

We built this 500# dinghy crane over the summer ourselves after not finding exactly what we wanted elsewhere. Cost of welding, materials, and a little help at the end was 990 bucks. Flex with 500 lbs. is 2". If we get heavier than 400 lbs. on or dinghy, I'd probably add a 1" tube backbone reinforcement just in case. Standpipe is 2.5" solid bar aluminum. Total weight of entire setup is 144 lbs.. Davit position was chosen not only for lifting clearance on port, but to pull up and in on port side dinghy davit (as attached in picture one) when motor is left attached to dinghy on short runs. The crane is easily removable and I'll probably add the same standpipe to starboard for those times when I need a starboard lift. Winch is Fulton 900#, line is 5400 lb. Amsteel.

Attachments

• davit location.jpg
    davit location.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 343
  • photo 11.jpg
    photo 11.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 243
  • photo 8.jpg
    photo 8.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 191
  • photo 14.jpg
    photo 14.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
We built this 500# dinghy crane over the summer ourselves after not finding exactly what we wanted elsewhere. Cost of welding, materials, and a little help at the end was 990 bucks. Flex with 500 lbs. is 2". If we get heavier than 400 lbs. on or dinghy, I'd probably add a 1" tube backbone reinforcement just in case. Standpipe is 2.5" solid bar aluminum. Total weight of entire setup is 144 lbs.. Davit position was chosen not only for lifting clearance on port, but to pull up and in on port side dinghy davit (as attached in picture one) when motor is left attached to dinghy on short runs. The crane is easily removable and I'll probably add the same standpipe to starboard for those times when I need a starboard lift. Winch is Fulton 900#, line is 5400 lb. Amsteel.
You did an awesome job!!! :flowers: :)

Speaking of davits I got this cool photo with the gopro with a suction cup mount.

Attachments

• image-3905215563.jpg
    image-3905215563.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 220
Pretty cool, Oliver. Pretty cool.:socool::thumb:

Some folks with smaller dinks have the pipe crane able to be moved with multiple mounts.

Nice to bring aboard that 125 storm anchor and heavy chain at the twist of a switch.

Back
Top Bottom