Steering wheel solutions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The AutoHelm wheel pilots are supposed to be able to work with a GPS to follow a course. You will need the very hard to find interface box to put between the controller and the GPS. I found such a box, but no instructions. I'm still trying to figure out the correct combination of wires to connect and buttons to push to make that feature work. I'll get there eventually.

But in the meantime, just having the wheel pilot hold a course for me works very well.

FWIW - I've found the best way to locate some of these hard to find items is to use Google Alerts. I was able to find that rare interface box and the elusive SL 555 Sea Tiger manual winch with this method. It may take months before you get a hit. But eventually, someone, somewhere in the world is going to post a "for sale" for the item you want. And Google will find it and notify you.

FWIW - I've found the best way to locate some of these hard to find items is to use Google Alerts.

Great idea! I've gone ahead and created one for "autohelm for sale". Let's see what happens. (dibs btw :))

Another vote for the Autohelm/Wheel Pilot solution. Mine is mounted on a hydraulic steering system, but keeps up with the gain set to maximum. Throw in a following sea on the square transom and it's more than the Wheel Pilot can handle.

img_195713_0_bd0a03fb6840875d6a67b7c5ec068c1d.jpg

The leather wheel wrap makes those hand steering moments much more comfortable.

When it comes time to leave the helm and go below, if I can't pass it off to an able-bodied crew member, the power goes to idle and trannies to neutral until I can return to the helm duties. If the waterway is too confined to allow me to drift safely, the anchor would get deployed at the touch of a button. (It's never come to that....yet.)

Last edited:
>If the waterway is too confined to allow me to drift safely, the anchor would get deployed<

And the Black Ball hoisted to let the rest of the traffic know you are anchored?

It's been many years since I've sailed, but I recall the boat had a wheel drive like this. The radio and Loran were below at the nav table for weather protection, which made the autohelm a necessity but anchoring with sails up to go below to the radio would be unwise to say the least! Reflecting on that makes me question whether it really is that crazy - in calm waters with no traffic - to pop down below (briefly) while underway with the autohelm operating.

We occasionally make long trips and autopilot would be nice. I was considering the Raymarine SPX-5R, which can handle "hydraulic steered boats up to 7,000 lbs" up to 30'. The unit can be set/configured for full displacement boats. Unfortunately, I am about 1000+ pounds over the limit--would have been a nice option.

Raymarine SPX-5R Helm Mount Fixed Pilot

The West Marine catalogue rates it for 7700 lbs.

Maybe a mistake?
Link isn't showing on my screen. ??

Here are the specs from Raymarine:
  • Mechanical steered boats – up to 4,400 lbs (2,000 kg)
  • Hydraulic steered boats – up to 7,000 lbs (3,181 kg)
Not sure why the link isn't working: Raymarine SPX-5R Helm Mount Fixed Pilot

Go to Raymarine's website and search for Raymarine SPX-5R Helm Mount Fixed Pilot. You can read the installation and operation manual, which are in pdf format.

It appears Raymarine cites a different figure on another portion of their website:

This is from their spec page:

Mechanical: 4400lbs (2000kg)
Hydraulic: 7700lbs (3500kg)

The missing link I referred to is a link I put in my own post to the West Marine catalogue which also shows 7700 lbs. for hydraulic.

Cashing - my feeling is the pilot would work fine. The pump may be a bit slow to react if your ram cylinder is bigger than called for. The brains won't know the difference.

Back
Top Bottom