solar controller mounting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
Where do you mount your solar controller. I was thinkin the engine room would be to hot ??

If it has a inbuilt temperature sensor, then it should be mounted as close as possible to the battery bank as it will adjust the charging voltage depending on the temperature.

I dont think the ER temperature will be a major issue for the controller.

Mine (digital) are in the ER. A friend has his on the switch panel. I`d have mine near the helm if I had room, they tell you a lot about what is happening, both ends.

Mine (Morningstar Pro-Star30) has a separate pair of wires to detect temperature at the batts. I have mine in the cabin where I can read it all the time. It's nice to know the amount of amperage in and when I'm at absorption charge status and I would not want it hidden away.

Mine is in the ER with the battery bank.
I would prefer it to be up where I could read it all the time but was informed it had to go as close as possible to the battery bank.
I can still read what is going in and out of the battery bank from my BMV battery monitor.

In the wiring space behind the helm.

Easy to take a quick look and see if the set is 100$ and on Float.

We chose the Trace C 12 (12A of charge control).

The unit is very easy to adjust , so in summer when the boat sits for 6 months the charge voltage is lowered to reduce water use.

In winter during boat use the full charge is set back to 14.4 , and the float to 13.8 , as we check batt water monthly in season.

Back
Top Bottom