Top Ten Rules Of The Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It hoses right off the nonskid in the cockpit.

Not so much with the white carpet!

image-1438631527.jpg

Here's my grown up sippy cup. Not spill proof but it would take awhile for it ALL to spill out. :)

I'm with Bruce K on this one. Life is too short to drink nice wine out of plastic sippy glasses.
I'll stick with my dark brown carpet. (I wonder what colour it was originally)

Aus,
Probably white, all that SA red wine does that to a carpet.
Cheers
Benn

Boy, imagine if you invited somebody to your house and laid down a set of rules. Sheesh. Okay, I know, different, people can't drown if they trip out your front door and fall on the lawn. I find most people are so anxious or unfamiliar with bigger boats that they appreciate directions - especially with marine toilets - but I hope I never have to treat my guests like impressed sailors in the British navy. And the red wine thing - boy, seems to me (1) if the guy's so undesirable why is he on your boat in the first place, and (2) just because he's rude doesn't give you license to be rude back. Now where's my glass of cab?

("can of whipped cream with throw pillows" - now that's funny.)

Haven't seen anyone mention that for guests: no hard luggage, must be duffle bags.

Marty

So we actually have guests this weekend. We told them how to use the head and asked them not to touch any switches on the electrical panel. Also we told them not to use the coffee maker, toaster and microwave at the same time (running the generator at anchor). And we warned them the hot water would be super hot. So far so good, we're only about 20 hours in. :).

We made two grave errors this weekend. 1) didn't realize we were almost out of coffee. 2) didn't notice we were almost out of red wine. :nonono:

I got my sippy cup pictured previously for use on the speed boat. :). Though we don't have much glass on the mother ship, maybe because we used to be sailors. We had two glass champagne flutes and I forget what happened that we now only have one. LOL. I think it broke in the dishwasher though.

Our boat is pretty impervious to spills. No carpet, leather upholstery. Old throw pillows. :)

Anyway it is very interesting to read different peoples thoughts. It seems to me people with more robust "rules" or perhaps "instructions" have more frequent guests? We have made an instruction manual that we have provided a couple of times we've let people stay on our boat when we aren't there. it's pretty extensive, explaining how things work and what switches should be left on, stuff like that.

We made two grave errors this weekend. 1) didn't realize we were almost out of coffee. 2) didn't notice we were almost out of red wine. :nonono:

Call if a rescue mission needs to be organized, just do so quietly please. Red wine was served with mint vodka chaser shots last night. After all, tis the season :)

...We have made an instruction manual that we have provided a couple of times we've let people stay on our boat when we aren't there. it's pretty extensive, explaining how things work and what switches should be left on, stuff like that.

Now that I understand completely. To me that's very different than rules. I've stayed on big boats that I don't know well -- or at all -- and I really appreciate instructions. Boats are complex things and if you do the wrong thing by accident you could come back to the boat the next morning and just see the top of an antenna breaking the surface. I've spent three years learning our boat and I'm still learning new things. I'll never forget the time when I thought I had clogged the (vacuflush) toilet on a 56 SeaRay. I won't go into details, some of us will be having dinner later, but I was still washing my hands three days later. I had no idea that the crew head was on a different switch on the (very complicated) breaker panel, in another area of the panel entirely. There was enough negative pressure left in the system and enough force of gravity to where I thought it was still operating. Some things any experienced boater should know, like don't leave the fresh water supply connection open when you leave the boat at the slip, but one hundred other things are quirks of each boat and so tips and instructions are always appreciated. Well, kind of like the "owner's notes" that some charter companies give you for each boat.

Guess I'm just too AR to follow P-Girl's lead... therefore, IMHO, letting any person stay aboard our beloved Tolly without us (actually that B - me!) there to make sure all items are going well and correctly simply ain’t a gonna happen - LOL!

Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl
...We have made an instruction manual that we have provided a couple of times we've let people stay on our boat when we aren't there. it's pretty extensive, explaining how things work and what switches should be left on, stuff like that.

That said: For near a year, with all insurance needs affordably covered by a national rental organization, I’ve been seeking to locate the "correct" simple and durable used cruiser (28’ to 33’ +/-) that I could utilize as a rent-a-boat for qualified “customers” to rent and use on a day or weekend basis in SF Bay/Delta. I would have extensive rules, a single person as a “signed - pre qualified” and already knowledgeable pleasure cruiser adaptable “self-rental boat operator”, and a big security deposit. So far no luck finding the correct craft. If/when I do find the correct boat it will be used exclusively as a rental... with others on it sans me!

Happy Holidays to All!! And, of course, Happy Boating Daze!!! :D

Art there are two ppl we've allowed to stay on our boat. Both if whom own sailboats and "should" be somewhat boat knowledgeable. The two people bring my husband's brother (and his family) and my husband's best friend (and his wife). We let Matt's brother use our ski boat and he did not read the instructions and forgot to put the plug in it!! They got it back on the trailer before TOO much water got in it. :nonono: I don't sleep well when other people are in my boat. We do NOT let them take it out. :)

Art, How bout I email you the specs for my next boat and let you buy it. I'll gladly pay daily rental fees for the right boat ;)

Same group that would blast a shotgun at an intruder, is worried about wine stains..?

Just because we would have no qualms about blasting an intruder doesn't mean that we're not sensitive.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Same group that would blast a shotgun at an intruder, is worried about wine stains..?

...at least he's consistent. In both cases, he's just taking it upon himself to protect his own property, and not rely on someone else doing it for him. I gotta admire that!!

Blue Heron, the trick is to blast 'em all before they get on the boat. That way if there's any cleanup to be done it's all on THEIR boat, not my boat. Besides, if they were drinking red wine before they attempted to storm my boat, the stains on their boat would blend right in!

:dance::dance::dance:

Heh, heh, heh.

img_195738_0_8d6fceb6d41bce5eb08cb7f8590d30fd.jpg

Geez, I routinely attend some of the most expensive yachts on the planet and have yet to see one where red wine is forbidden. Those boats have countertops that cost more than 5 or 6 times what your entire boat is worth.

Can't say as I blame the guy ... life is too short to spend it in that kind of environment.

Well…I'm no wine buff, but I'm with you on that Rick. Mind you, my my boat is so full of imperfections, I must admit, a bit of a wine stain somewhere - which has never happened actually - would be the least of my worries. Life is indeed too short...

Well…I'm no wine buff, but I'm with you on that Rick..... a bit of a wine stain somewhere - which has never happened actually - would be the least of my worries. Life is indeed too short...
Peter, talking of wine, people are posting on the "SSB" thread discussing radios! Aussies know SSB is a white wine blend of semillon and sauvignon blanc. I`m happy with a red wine tolerant boat.

Bruce,
You don't want to encourage those frivolous Sauvignon Blanc drinking kiddies on to your boat, give me a good old fashioned big wooded chardy any day.
Glasses are also a must as life is to short to drink cheap wine and or out of plastic.
I keep a spare box of white wine , red wine glasses and champagne flutes on board as replacements for the ones in the ready use rack.
They are Woolies glasses so not expensive and also we actually don't have that many breakages which is surprising considering the amount of that sort of thing that happens on Tidahapah
Anyhow it is that time of day, must of for a drink.
Cheers
Benn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom