Galverston area marina recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimer2

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Baobab
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
We are in the process of upgrading from a 32 foot, twin gas go fast to a 46 foot diesel trawler. The only marina we have used for full time mooring, is the Blue Dolphin. As the new (to us) trawler will take almost 4 hours to get out of the bay, this marina is no longer convenient and we would like to relocate somewhere either on the ICW or in the Galverston area. As we live in Conroe, we are not very familiar with the options and hope for some recommendations. Covered would be nice but not essential. Ability to perform minor maintenance and secure parking while cruising is important.
Many thanks in advance.

We are in Waterford Harbor and recently also looked at marinas in the Galveston area for the same reason, the long slog up and down the ship channel. Harborwalk is really nice and we also considered Galveston Yacht Basin although it seems to have a poor reputation. There is also a marina in Offatts Bayou, Pelican Rest, but very expensive and doesn't allow working on the boat.

We live in Montgomery and seriously considered Harborwalk but decided to stay in Waterford. Two reasons, I absolutely hate I45 and the distance to any stores and restaurants. If you have a new to you boat I think you will appreciate being close to WM, Kemah Hardware, Home Depot and such. Not to mention the choice of restaurants in the area. If I were in your shoes, I would consider a marina on the south side of the lake until you have the boat sorted and then maybe consider one in the Galveston area.

Bob

If you take Bob's advice you would be just fine. We spent several years at Waterford Harbor Marina. There is a Restaurant right in the Marina for all intents and purposes. VERY safe area and everything is always kept clean. OR..........you could go back to Blue Dolphin - nothing like being under a covered slip.

I have been to Harborwalk visiting a few years back. It was a great looking place but nothing nearby at the time. maybe some semblance of civilization is there now.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I see the covered slips at the Dolphin are only $175 more than Waterford and it sure is nice being covered when there's work to be done.

>>>I have been to Harborwalk visiting a few years back. It was a great looking place but nothing nearby at the time. maybe some semblance of civilization is there now. <<<

Still nothing even close, we checked them out a couple of months ago.

There were times this summer, actually every time we were on the boat, when we wished for a covered slip. Even with an awning covering the front deck and the black sunscreens on all the windows, even on the fly bridge, the two A/C units could not quite keep up with the Texas heat. We did check out Blue Dolphin when we bought the boat but didn't like the fixed docks and it seems like the finger piers were really narrow.

Bob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom