Side Power bow thruster repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Burnham

Can the electric motor for SP 75 Ti thruster be pulled from the tube bracket while the boat is still in the water? I can't find anything in the manual or Side Power website to address this question

thanks, Bob

Yes it can. Just undue the 4 bolts and Viola!

Last edited:
I really appreciate your reply ... especially in the affirmative.

Do you or anyone on the forum have any experience sending the motors to a good starter repair shop for rebuilding or better option to just replace from vendor?

thx Jukesy.

Depends on what the problem is first. I serviced mine this summer and it fairly straight forward. You may be able to do it yourself and avoid shipping etc. give me some details on what's happening with your unit.

I really appreciate your reply ... especially in the affirmative.

Do you or anyone on the forum have any experience sending the motors to a good starter repair shop for rebuilding or better option to just replace from vendor?

thx Jukesy.

Usually can be repaired. I have sen[ them out for checking out, cleaning, brushes, etc. Don't know what a motor would cost, but imagine it would be very expensive.

Contact IMTRA.

They have consistently given me great service and advice over the last few year.

Just had to replace an SP55s motor on our stern thruster. Imtra gave me a good deal on a reconditioned, upgraded SE60 unit with a generous previous customer discount.

And, yes, the motor can be removed with the boat in the water. The gearleg, no.

Their website gives prices (you have to hunt a bit) for the various motors. Those are for new units. Call to see if they have any recons.

Last edited:
All good information. The motor took a bath after a pump failure on a slow leak [bow first] while I was out of town. Discovered by live aboard neighbor in plenty of time to save the boat and not the thruster

I have used very good local rebuilder shops for starters, mags & alternators on rare, old tractors, etc. .... just nothing like these reversible motors. I will be pulling it and take it to a shop and see what they have to say.

Thanks guys, Bob

Bob, call Rodgers Marine in Portland (503-287-1101) and ask for Marty Belinsky. If they don't repair them, Marty will be able to recommend someone who can.

When you get him on the phone tell him the guy from the Tri Cities recommended them. They just installed a new radar and plotter for me an did a great job!

Sorry to hear that. Dwhatty is right. Give Imtra a call. There customer service is top shelf. You might also consider the q prop upgrade for that thruster as well.

All good information & I really appreciate the insight and support you guys provided for my questions and those of others on this forum!

Bob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom