A Trawler's Mast in 2 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Portuguese

Guru
Vessel Name
Rainha Jannota
Vessel Make
Curruira 46
Greetings guys

Here are the pictures while constructing my wood/epoxy mast. One guy, 2 days, 14 working hours.

4 boards 14' x 10" x 1 3/8" (light wood: red/yellow cedar or similar)
Epoxy to glue
Epoxy to impregnate
Fiber glass mat

Attachments

• Mastro_ini.JPG
    Mastro_ini.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Mastro2.JPG
    Mastro2.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Mastro3.JPG
    Mastro3.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Mastro_Glue1.JPG
    Mastro_Glue1.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Mastro 6.jpg
    Mastro 6.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 445
  • Mastro_FG.JPG
    Mastro_FG.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 440
  • Fuzil_ChainPlate.JPG
    Fuzil_ChainPlate.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 125
More pictures of building details

For the amusement of woodboat lovers!

Attachments

• Detalhes2.JPG
    Detalhes2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Detalhes3.JPG
    Detalhes3.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Mesa1_ChartTable.JPG
    Mesa1_ChartTable.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Piloto_Seat1.JPG
    Piloto_Seat1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Comando_Seat.JPG
    Comando_Seat.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 107
You are so fortunate to live somewhere you can get good wood without paying double it's cost to get it shipped to you... I am going to have to formica face parts of my interior with teak grained plastic to match my upgrades. Beautiful woodwork!

AK

We in Brazil are already paying too much for wood. The one you see in these pictures is all re-forested wood that we also export to USA.

My luck is that when I bought the wood, this particular kind was still available. (red cedar). In other parts of my boat the wood is yellow cedar which is not as beautiful

Thanks for you comments.

Portuguese

When I brought my boat up from Anacortes this summer, I was amazed to find out that all of the timber visible from the water has been logged off at least twice and sometimes three times. The early explorers really raped the world of the best timber. I thought some of those 150' plus tall trees were old growth. Nope! The only thing that saved any old growth was that it was too hard to get to the water to ship out. I was in a cave at the Grand Canyon that had timbers from South America that were over 150 years old and in perfect condition. Many attempts to purchase old timbers from mines and such where the "old" timber was utilized, many old mines stripped of the good stuff.

Within 10 to 20 years from now, Brazil will invade the wood market with timber that has not been in the market since early 80's. These are woods that are not suitable for boatbuilding but were very popular in President's and king's palaces. Jacaranda, also known as (Brownwood or redwood), Ipe, Mahogany, the real thing not the fake one that is marketed in the Far East as such, are just some of the kinds that we are farming in huge quantities. We also farmed teak but it is not the real deal. There is only one teak which is the Burmese one. (Myanmar), the rest are look-a-likes.

Nice work Marty,
Can't wait to see the completed vessel in the water.
All the best Benn

Benn

Marty is not building a boat as far as I know. The Portuguese is...
Anyway, I understood the intenbtion. Thanks

Portuguese

Beautiful work!

Yes - good quality would is very hard to come by. Its not only our forefathers that have raped the forests; we continue to do it today. Every time I go home to the Kootenays of BC, I see more old cedar forests that have been cleared and replanted with a fast growing pine farm. We haven't learned much.

AusCan

The idea of re-foresting is not cut what is good and seed what grows fast.
The idea is to maintain the native species alive and growing. For each Cedar we cut, we plant 3. No cedar can be cut before reaching 25 Y.O.
I do not care about the bad propaganda that European/USA makes about burning the Amazon. That is not correct as only the fires are reported. My wife belongs to a civil organization that is re-planting Jacaranda (the wood of the kings, at it was known in the 17th. 18th & 19th century). These trees were devastated from Brazilian soil and they were robbed to be planted in Africa and Far East countries in centuries mentioned above. However, the small plants died crossing the oceans which did not happen with the rubber trees.
3 million hectares are expected to be re-forested with high quality wood in 2015 on ly in Southeast Brazil. From this area, half million hectares are already ready to cut.

Yes we can have good wood as our predecessors had, we only need to stop being greedy.

Its good to hear Brazil is looking after its forests, Portuguese.

I wish Canada (my home) country was doing the same. A mono-culture of pines does not equal a forest.

I love the Jacarandas, we have them lining many streets here in Australia. When they flower the whole street turns purple.

New Pic

...My soon to be Dinner Table....I don't think I will eat often in it!!!

Attachments

• Mesa_Tampo.JPG
    Mesa_Tampo.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 181
Back
Top Bottom