New Members on a Mission...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harleythunder

Hello all,
My wife Michelle & I had a 19' Bayliner Cuddy when the kids were small and we loved cruising Lk Washington. It's long since sold but we've been boating with friends for the past couple years - most have power boats - but we really like motoring with our friends who have a President 41, and now we've caught The Bug.

We've been to a few boat shows, walked the slips, and have been lurking other forums as well as this site in an attempt to learn all we can before buying. We plan to pull the trigger within the next 12 months and have a budget up to $150k.

In that price range, we've found a very nice President 41 similar to our friends, but have also fallen in love with the Ocean Alexander 50, going back and forth between the MK I & MK II and although we haven't decided yet what we'll buy (still plenty of research needed) we wanted to go legit and move from lurker to participant. I'm sure we'll be asking plenty of questions even though we've learned a lot just reading many of the existing posts.

All comments and opinions on our plan or choice of yachts is welcomed.

Anyway - just wanted to say "Howdy" :thumb:
~Mike

Hello all, My wife Michelle & I had a 19' Bayliner Cuddy when the kids were small and we loved cruising Lk Washington. It's long since sold but we've been boating with friends for the past couple years - most have power boats - but we really like motoring with our friends who have a President 41, and now we've caught The Bug. We've been to a few boat shows, walked the slips, and have been lurking other forums as well as this site in an attempt to learn all we can before buying. We plan to pull the trigger within the next 12 months and have a budget up to $150k. In that price range, we've found a very nice President 41 similar to our friends, but have also fallen in love with the Ocean Alexander 50, going back and forth between the MK I & MK II and although we haven't decided yet what we'll buy (still plenty of research needed) we wanted to go legit and move from lurker to participant. I'm sure we'll be asking plenty of questions even though we've learned a lot just reading many of the existing posts. All comments and opinions on our plan or choice of yachts is welcomed. Anyway - just wanted to say "Howdy" :thumb: ~Mike
Welcome aboard, and happy hunting! :thumb: :)

Yes, welcome aboard the board. Good choices both as mentioned, but I guess I might be inclined to favour the Ocean Alexander given other things like condition, engine hours/care, instrumentation etc were about equal. Just because I think it would be a better offshore type design, is all. If not planning that then either, and there are many other similar designs, would be fine. Look at lots. Get a good survey on the one that seems to just leap out and grab you. With boats, in a way, at the end of the day...they choose you, most of us find...

Mike,

My wife, also a Michelle, and I did a similar thing. We jumped from a 24' Open bow to our 1983 45' CHB Europa. We have it in Everett in covered moorage. That MK1 in Anacortes has 555 Cummins which are similar to mine. I like the pilot house but also I like our Europa!

Good luck in the search. OA's are great boats but go slow and look around. Our boat had magnificent Lake Union front row firework watching moorage when we bought it. The decision to move on our boat was in some way determined by the moorage. We have since moved it to Everett because of convenience and it is my childhood home. What I have learned is that moorage is not as hard as it was to find. So go slow, find the right boat and then move it where you want it!

Feel free to ask tons of questions:)

Jeff

Jeff[/QUOTE]
We jumped from a 24' Open bow to our 1983 45' CHB Europa."

So here's the first question: What is 'CHB'?
~Mike

Last edited:
We jumped from a 24' Open bow to our 1983 45' CHB Europa."

So here's the first question: What is 'CHB'?
~Mike[/QUOTE]

CHB stands for Chien Hwa Boats. They are also known as Taiwanese trawlers, as many of the yards that produced the boats are in Taiwan. By and large, great boats!

Our PT52 was built in the Kha Shing yards- another well known Taiwanese yard.

As we're liveaboards, we prefer the aft cabin with cockpit configuration- great separation between the cabins, and excellent use of space. If you're in Seattle, touch base and we'll give you the nickel tour

Welcome, and enjoy the process- I like how it was put, that the boat will find you....

I just signed up for this forum for the same reason. We're getting ready to take the plunge as well. We've been researching like mad, looking at "cruising yachts" and trawlers. We looked at a Silverton 453 2000 that I was just crazy about. the space and layout was phenomenal. Then we went home and researched some more and heard about handling issues and repair (engine) issues. We've looked at Ocean Alexanders and Grand Banks over the years. The newest on the list that is absolutely beautiful is a 44 foot Tollycraft. Unfortunately, we couldn't get inside.

We too, are seeking advise on best seaworthiness, reliability, etc. If you find anything out, let us know!

Mike and Jessica

Welcome aboard to both "Newbies". I think you will find some good information on the Forum and a large number of people willing to help you out. The PNW is a great place to have a boat and can provide a lifetime of enjoyment.

Buying the first boat, or first large boat, which is the situation both of you are in is made easier if you think about how you will use the boat. The strengths and weaknesses of each model of trawler are there for a reason. Each model is aimed at a particular use/market. If you intend on going to San Diego each year you might buy a different boat than if you intend to stay in the PNW and cruise the San Juan islands, or use it as a home while you live and work. Family size, your physical condition (steps) etc can all affect the decision on what boat to buy. Some serious thought now may prevent the need to sell the 1st boat and buy a second which more closely fits your actual needs. Then again that is not major problem.

Good luck, looking forward to both of you on the Forum

Marty

We jumped from a 24' Open bow to our 1983 45' CHB Europa." So here's the first question: What is 'CHB'? ~Mike[/QUOTE]

Mike I mentioned our boat because you mentioned your friends President 41. Both boats fit into the category of Taiwanese Trawler.

I echo what others are saying. How do you want to use the boat? There are hundreds of permutations:)

Questions we considered:

-slow or fast
-diesel v. Gas
-tri-cabin v Europa v sedan
-pilot house?
-fishing?
-newer smaller v older bigger
-budget
-teak deck no teak deck
-fixer upper or ready to go

I remember coming to grips with the notion that I could spend six digits on a boat and still come home with a fixer upper:)

Welcome to the forum.

I remember coming to grips with the notion that I could spend six digits on a boat and still come home with a fixer upper:)

I think that's where the rubber meets the road for anyone new to larger boats. I know more than a couple people that are near the end of their rope (financially or mentally) with a boat they never imagined would be so much work. A survey can tell the condition but you have to be honest with yourself about the projects you're comfortable with. I went the ready to use route with no regrets, some like buying project boats and have the time to bring them up to scratch. Nothing wrong with either.

Go into boating with your eyes wide open and it's a ton of fun.

I am new to the trawler forum. we just bought a 37 ft Pacific Trawler and intend to spend the summer months cruising around SE Alaska. if you have similar plans perhaps we could talk about what we know and what we have heard. My focus right now is on Gambier Bay, Pybus Bay and the Bay of Pillars.

That's exactly the problem. We're planning to live aboard and cruise the San Juan's as often as possible.Summers we'd like to go to the Sea of Cortez. Trawlers versus motor yachts....the motor yachts are so much prettier..LOL. But I'm most concerned with seaworthiness and handling. :)

I won't steer you toward one brand or another but will offer a few words of advice.....

1. Buy your second boat first. Too many people rush into buying a boat without really thinking about what they plan to do with it, how they will use it, what waters they'll boat on, and what kind of layout they want. They have the boat for a year or two then decide that it doesn't suit their needs so they take a big loss and sell it so they can buy the RIGHT boat.

Do your homework, take your time, walk on lots of boats at the boat shows, DON'T RUSH, and make a list of the things you don't want on a boat. It's much easier to rule OUT boats than it is to pick the right one.

#2--the right boat, like a fine automobile or a fine wine, should make you smile. Your heart should beat a little faster as you walk down the dock towards it, and it will make you take a look back over your shoulder as you walk away from it. If the boat you're considering doesn't blow your hair back, it ain't the right boat.

#3--The wrong boat, at the best price in the world, is still the wrong boat.

Good luck with your search, and enjoy your new lifestyle.

Mike and Michelle, Welcome aboard!

I also have a Michelle :} If you follow the excellent advice on this forum you should have no problem finding the right yacht. We are in our final stages after looking for over a year and have a 6 week trip planned right after xmas to narrow it down to one boat and make some offers. The hardest part for me has been to stick with my game plan and not compromise. What I mean by that is I have all of my criteria and then I come across a fabulous deal on a yacht that isn't really what I want and fold like a cheap lawn chair! I think GFC said it already, the wrong boat at the best price is a huge mistake! We have the same budget so I have a good idea of whats out there for you if you need any help. Im not familiar with the PNW so I cant help you there. Also, we are moving aboard full time so our requirements are a little different. Good luck with your search and welcome aboard Matey:)

Brad and Michelle____________________________________

If you are new to boating, I would strongly recommend walk-around decks, for safety and boat handling. Cling-on decks are difficult for us more mature types. You sacrifice some interior room but you will progress in your confidence much faster.

Forgot to add, Welcome!

Greetings,
+1 for walk around decks but cling-on?
th

Yes, welcome aboard the board. Good choices both as mentioned, but I guess I might be inclined to favour the Ocean Alexander given other things like condition, engine hours/care, instrumentation etc were about equal. Just because I think it would be a better offshore type design, is all. If not planning that then either, and there are many other similar designs, would be fine. Look at lots. Get a good survey on the one that seems to just leap out and grab you. With boats, in a way, at the end of the day...they choose you, most of us find...
RE: The boat choosing you....
100% agree Pete - that's the same way I've found my motorcycles.....they choose me.
~Mike

"Cling-on decks"
Very descriptive. They don't bother me but my poor wife hates going forward on Possum.

That's exactly the problem. We're planning to live aboard and cruise the San Juan's as often as possible.Summers we'd like to go to the Sea of Cortez. Trawlers versus motor yachts....the motor yachts are so much prettier..LOL. But I'm most concerned with seaworthiness and handling. :)
Hey JJ -
We have similar plans....cruise the Islands until retirement, then head south, which is why we're leaning a bit toward the OA over the President; heavier, to weather the seas better, more room for longer hauls, and longer legs.

WE get up to Anacortes occasional, mostly looking thru the yacht yards... Maybe we can hook up sometime for a bite & cold drink and compare notes.
~Mike

Bought a President 41 last week and joined this forum today. We have been looking for a Taiwanese tri-cabin/sundeck/trawler for about two yrs. We kept refining our list of must haves and how the different boats met those requirements by chartering one or two different boats every summer/fall for the last several years. Chartered a President 37 (through Ship Harbour Yacht Charters in Skyline, we love these people) this fall and the President became our number one choice. We looked at 3 Presidents in the Puget Sound region; but they had been neglected. One source said that only 155 President 41s were made so its pretty slim pickings. As level of care of the boat by the previous owners and availability is such a big issue, we were more then willing to consider many of the other Taiwanese boats such as the OA, Ponderosa, Golden Star, etc.. We feel we lucked out when we found this one, formerly known as the "Ann Sage". We found the boat listed with NW Yachtnet in Tacoma; but even though we liked the boat very much, the sales rep gave me such an abiding feeling of caveat emptor, I was going to pass it up. My wife persuaded me to get Mark at Ship Harbour Yacht Charters to represent us and he made it happen and I feel like I know what I bought. Its in dry storage at Skyline to fix some blisters, and get bottom paint etc., which thanks to Mark, I knew about before I pulled the trigger. If you want to see her let me know.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom