Best way to clean and protect interior Teak and Holley floors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spottsville

Vessel Name
Quiet Company
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH-47
Our boat has interior Teak and Holley floors throughout. Its time to clean them and put on a finish treatment to protect. I googled Teak cleaner/finish/sealers and there are a blue gillion.

What is the best way to clean them and protect them from spills, (without making them slick when wet or barefooted)?

What brand of finish is the best performer?

Norm

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Is it real teak and holly (old) just sand and varnish with your favourite varnish (some use basketball court finish but it's got dangerous fumes) or if it is just a veneer, I would use hardwood floor cleaner like Pledge, or Linseed oil soap, or Murphy's. Try it in a closet or someplace inconspicuous first. If you plan to varnish, these cleaners will make varnishing very difficult.

Go easy sanding some of those verneers are thin.

Unbeknownst to me my wife cleaned our teak & holly floors with Pledge last spring and the first indication I had of her efforts was when I was slipping and sliding all over the place. (There may be more than one form of Pledge, I don't know, but whatever she used was deadly.)

Unbeknownst to me my wife cleaned our teak & holly floors with Pledge last spring and the first indication I had of her efforts was when I was slipping and sliding all over the place. (There may be more than one form of Pledge, I don't know, but whatever she used was deadly.)

Slick on a boat is not good!

Thx
Norm

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

The Pledge I'm thinking of, you squirt it on the floor, swoosh it about with a mop and leave it, it dries/vanishes/whatever. I used to use it in my house and didn't have a slippery issue. Lemon Pledge, excellent for plastic windshields and venturis, would be slippery as whale sh*t, as an old boss used to say.

The Pledge I'm thinking of, you squirt it on the floor, swoosh it about with a mop and leave it, it dries/vanishes/whatever. I used to use it in my house and didn't have a slippery issue. Lemon Pledge, excellent for plastic windshields and venturis, would be slippery as whale sh*t, as an old boss used to say.

I did detect a slight wiff of lemon as I was sliding out the pilothouse door...

Murphy Soap Oil and warm water.

If the floor is simply for show , (the holly does not stand proud) Gym or Bowling alley varnish will help with slipery when wet.

Beware on some for show floors the teak is as thick as a business card.

Back
Top Bottom