Norcold fridges makes a lot of noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamdouglass

Vessel Name
Summer Wind 1
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 41
I am going to trouble shoot my Norcold fridge. It is a 12 volt only, the model is a DE 0061 7cu/ft 12v only fridge. When the compressor comes on it makes a major rattling noise. I plan to:

1. Move the fridge to the middle of the salon.
2. Wait for the compressor to come on and tighten any thing that is loose.
and/or
3. Remove the refrigeration coils on the back and check for any loose parts and tighten those parts.

Has any one had the same experience? Tell me what happened and what you did.

Sounds like you are going down the right path.

If you have a rattling sound then one strong possibility could be worn rubber 'anti vibration' mounts on the compressor. The compressor is your only moving part and most movement will come each time the compressor starts.

Funny how something like a vibrating copper pipe, that's not touching anything else, can setup a harmonic vibration in a non associated part.

I had the same problem on my Norcold. A small piece of insulating foam between the high pressure pipe (the cold side) and the sheet metal back on the fridge solved the problem permanently. :flowers:

I removed the plastic bins from an almost new Nocold .

Free to anyone , stop by or pay shipping.

I have the same fridge & it's not noisy at all, been a really great unit. I installed in 2010 & have been pleased with it until the 120v AC power cord burnt all the insulation off about a month ago. It was running on battery power when it happened. I replaced the cord & now it only runs on 120v, the repair will have to wait till spring when the resident dock electrician is back.

Back
Top Bottom