Best Exterior Varnish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc

Guru
Two 24" name boards and 4 vertical narrow steps to top level. What is the longest lasting exterior varnish?

When Powerboat Reports tested them, Fabula's Honey Teak came out on top, followed by Smith & Company's Five Year Clear. The latter has been discontinued and*Smith now recommends Epifanes Gloss instead.

I've been using the Honey Teak for 9 years now and love it. http://www.fabulainc.com/*You can read the test results from Practical Sailor and Powerboat Reports on their site.

I think you'll get many different responses! Bottom line, there is no magic product that will last forever. They key is good preparation, 5-6 coats and 1-2 maintenance coats every year.

Personnaly, I've had very good results with Epifanes.

For the*heavy weather areas I use West Wystem clear epoxy first which protect the wood with a few clear coats a varnish which helps protect the epoxy from sun.** Interlux Gold Spar clear is a Polyurethane that* I use and holds up well. *

Brooklin Boat Yard in Maine (who do mostly wooden boats, traditional carvel planked or cold molded) has a couple of slatted benches they keep out in the weather. They used to do each slat with a a fair amount of coats of different varnishes or other coatings and let the benches sit for a few seasons to "season" as it were. Even with this method I am not sure if a consensus was ever reached as to the "best" coating. Sometimes they seemed to favor one brand/type over another and then, for some reason, they switched to a different one. But Epifanes always seemed to come back as the one they used consistently.

Fotoman wrote:

I think you'll get many different responses! Bottom line, there is no magic product that will last forever. They key is good preparation, 5-6 coats and 1-2 maintenance coats every year.

Personnally, I've had very good results with Epifanes.
The above quote pretty much sums up my experience.

Start with 2 coats of "sealer" on the bare wood. Then 6 coats of varnish. Lastly, finish it off with 2 coats of Awlgrip Clear. The Awlgrip clear will provide great UV protection and make the varnish last alot longer. 2 years before you have to touch it!
Steve

Taras wrote:

Start with 2 coats of "sealer" on the bare wood. Then 6 coats of varnish. Lastly, finish it off with 2 coats of Awlgrip Clear. The Awlgrip clear will provide great UV protection and make the varnish last alot longer. 2 years before you have to touch it!
Steve
I've also heard people put a car clear coat and then polish it to a mirror finish.

-- Edited by Fotoman on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 07:07:10 AM

I use Awlvarnish. Seems fine but as always, only as good as the prep.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom