Aluminum Cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xsbank

Guru
Vessel Name
Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Make
Custom Aluminum 52
Does anybody know of an aluminum cleaner product that does not contain hydrofluoric acid? The only one I found does, but that acid is too hazardous to use and I don't want it near me, let alone taking a risk of getting it on me.

Does anybody know of an aluminum cleaner product that does not contain hydrofluoric acid? The only one I found does, but that acid is too hazardous to use and I don't want it near me, let alone taking a risk of getting it on me.

Why is it to hazardous to use?

I have been using allbright heavy (10% hydrofluoric ) for near 30 years and have had no issues whatsoever.
Of course I make a reasonable attempt not to swim in it or drink it and wash it off if I do get it on my skin.

Henkel - Henkel Indusrial Chemicals - Cleaning Enhanser - Turco Albright Heavy - Telford Industries

Xsbank, Without knowing your project, I had good results from "Autosol Marine Shine", in 100gm tube, 750gm tub. 3" aluminum cockpit trim edging was so degraded I applied it with furniture grade steel wool initially, graduating to cloth.Comes from Germany. I used it on brass,s/steel, and for marks/stains on gelcoat or painted surfaces where polish won`t do it. Could be expensive for a large area, eg may not suit reviving a pitted aluminum dinghy.

Cool, Bruce, I appreciate the info but:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 104
Try a two liter bottle of coca cola in a less conspicuous area as a test. For that big of a job a mop and bucket may be the set up. Experiment for desired result but I've found it to be cheap and effective for larger aluminum cleaning jobs.

Sounds crazy but it's worked for me.

Edit: Have a bottle of rum handy for any left over cleaning solvent.

Last edited:
I don't want it shiny, merely clean. Hydrofluoric acid is evil, it sinks into your skin like water into a sponge and it basically dissolves you from the inside out. There are specific responses to exposure that can mitigate the damage but it doesn't even burn your skin until sometime after exposure, by which time you have been seriously injured.

The aluminum oxide will return very quickly but the rust streaks and black streaks will have to start all over. The anchor chain is rusty and as it is on a drum winch not a chain locker, it has left rust stains on the hull sides that I'd like to remove. I can probably show you a photo and you will see why.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Use phosphoric acid for the rust. Coca Cola or Ospho. No need to use hydroflouric.

Sorry about the squint photo...

I'm looking for new chain.

I don't want it shiny, merely clean.
Well, allbright heavy which is only 10% makes it shiney
Imagine what a 100% solution will be like.
Hydrofluoric acid is evil, it sinks into your skin like water into a sponge and it basically dissolves you from the inside out.
Yes I know that but thats why they make appropriate clothing.
Like I said, I have used it several times a year for 30 years and haven't dissolved myself yet.
Worst I have had is a burn the size of a match head on my hand now from a few days ago, probably because I wasn't wearing gloves.:eek:

I would think if you wore gloves and shoes and used a $10 weed sprayer to apply on a windless day doing a few m2 at a time and hose off, there would be little to no chance of you dissolving.

Of course if there is something else that works as well as a simple brush/hose on hose off, and is perfectly safe, I'd use that.

Last edited:
Cool, Bruce, I appreciate the info but:
Helps knowing the actual job.:) I got close at 'pitted aluminum dinghy". Sounds like a good use for Coca Cola.

Ken, thought of CLR for the staining? Could also consider soda blasting next time she's on the hard. - Boyd

Hi Boyd, I'm going to have her bottom soda-blasted (or dry ice or...) in order to prime and bottom paint her. I don't think I can afford to have the entire lump done, although she would certainly look terrific. I'll ask the yard, their workers might enjoy labouring upright?

The French cruisers seem to use a big grinder with a soft pad on which they stick a pad like a scotch brite pad.

These come in a large variety of aggressiveness .

Leaves a very fine swirl in the hull finish , and is easy to spot refinish as required.

Try a two liter bottle of coca cola in a less conspicuous area as a test. For that big of a job a mop and bucket may be the set up. Experiment for desired result but I've found it to be cheap and effective for larger aluminum cleaning jobs.

I can hear a USCG boarding crew "Sir, there are traces of Coke all over this boat"

If you're trying to remove rust stains, try a Davis product called FSR - Fiberglass Stain Remover. Its active ingredient is oxalic acid, which is pretty mild. FSR is a blue gel that adheres pretty well to vertical surfaces. Several applications may be needed, since it's intentionally not very aggressive. And, it's kind of expensive. Another source of oxalic acid that's cheaper is BoatLife TeakBrite powder. You can mix it with a small amount of water to make a paste, which will stick to vertical surfaces. Make a thick slurry, brush it on, let it work a while, and scrub it off with lots of fresh water before it dries completely.

Ospho and dish cleaner like JOY mixed is great to brush on much of the Chinese SS deck hardware.

It removes much of the rust on the non electro polished SS.

Ge the anchor chain re-galvanized and enjoy a maintenance free hull. There is a reason they don't paint those things.

If you're trying to remove rust stains, try a Davis product called FSR - Fiberglass Stain Remover. Its active ingredient is oxalic acid, which is pretty mild. FSR is a blue gel that adheres pretty well to vertical surfaces. Several applications may be needed, since it's intentionally not very aggressive. And, it's kind of expensive. Another source of oxalic acid that's cheaper is BoatLife TeakBrite powder. You can mix it with a small amount of water to make a paste, which will stick to vertical surfaces. Make a thick slurry, brush it on, let it work a while, and scrub it off with lots of fresh water before it dries completely.

A cheap way to get Oxalic acid is at ACE Hardware, buy a small tub of Wood Bleach (less than $6). Mix to the strength you need with water (start with weaker first). Works great to remove your boats mustache too.

Norm
Quiet company

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Back
Top Bottom