Raft ups

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeD

Vessel Name
Siesta
Vessel Make
Pelin Sterling 36
Show us your "raft up" pictures....

The photos below are from January this year in Waitata Bay, Pelorus Sound.

As we are now moving into summer (sorry all you Northern Hemisphere boaties) this will be a regular occurrance over the next few months :)

-Mike

p.s. that crayfish was a beauty! The guys from Primetime dived for it near D'Urville Island that day!

Attachments

• raft1.jpg
    raft1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 134
  • raft2.jpg
    raft2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 137
  • raft3.jpg
    raft3.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 153
  • raft4.jpg
    raft4.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
That's a good group, were you guys on anchor or moorings?

Sugarloaf Bay Sydney

Some sailors understand that motor boats can carry more ice.

Attachments

• aug13 MHYC raftup (800x451).jpg
    aug13 MHYC raftup (800x451).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 142
Let me see now . . . what is the probability that a '73 Gulfstar could make it from Florida to New Zealand? :)

I like a smaller raft up especially in tricky weather and in this photo we had to lower antenna's and back down the channel to raft because of width and limited depth of creek off the TN river last month.

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
We were all on bow anchors and every other boat had a stern anchor.

Al, I need you to show how this is done, setting the anchors, maneuvering among other boats. Perhaps the sticky mud of The Delta helps. I've only anchored solitaire.

Al, you've expressed disdain rafting in the rolly waters of Hospital (Ayala) Cove at Angel Island. Presumably waters are generally calmer in the Delta (definitely fewer ferries).

img_195075_0_a62eacf01a5f600081c35142ce13c619.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like the boating equivalent to riding a cruise ship.

You think thats yuck. That goes for on for another mile. Note, you don't see my boat there.

:)

Yes, that was on Mildred Island, the flooded tract, with good wind breaks and no current. Here's how the Sea Ray Club does it there every year. According to last year's commodore, it takes advance planning and coordination re: beam and LOA, setting anchors and lines at GPS coordinates and good timing for arrival/departure. An advance team sets up lines the day before others arrive.

circle.jpg

Had the ship all to myself after everyone unloaded.

232323232%7Ffp734%3A6%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D396%3A%3C36463336nu0mrj

Yeah, just you and 2000+ crewmembers! :rofl:

Actually, 1100 (Grand Princess). They have their own dining rooms, lounges, recreational facilities, etcetera, separate from the passengers.

Rafted with my son on the Niagara River. He got to spend sometime with us this summer while he towed his boat cross country from Long Island to Euraka, CA. He is serving in the USCG, currently getting qualified as a surfman. He carries on a long family tradition of boating and the love of water.

img_195208_0_855ac3fc999ad5064e07cef5ffebd5d5.jpg

The pic is of Pottahawk point. It's a popular island on long point in Lake Erie. The second Sunday of July they come from everywhere and gather at the point. Sorta like Sturgis of boating.

Rafted with my son on the Niagara River. He got to spend sometime with us this summer while he towed his boat cross country from Long Island to Euraka, CA. He is serving in the USCG, currently getting qualified as a surfman. He carries on a long family tradition of boating and the love of water.

img_195231_0_855ac3fc999ad5064e07cef5ffebd5d5.jpg

How cool is that? Rafting with your son who lives away. Certainly a special time. Surf boats are the ultimate. Please pass along our thanks to your son.

Not many people raft up in these parts. Often you don't see another boat all day.

The only raft up I remember seeing was about 15 years ago when a dead southern right whale was floating off the coast with dozens of great white sharks feeding on it. About 10 boats were rafted to the whale and people had climbed aboard the carcass to watch the feeding frenzy.
I didn't bother to get too close to the action. Some of those sharks were bigger than my little 17ft plywood boat.

The attached was 2 weeks ago at Bobby's Fish Camp on the Tenn-Tom Waterway. There's room for 3 boats at the dock. When 6 show up and they're serving catfish that night, you find a way...

Attachments

• dee dee at bobbys.JPG
    dee dee at bobbys.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 80
  • bobbys.jpg
    bobbys.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 85
Our yacht club sponsors four raft-ups a year, each one with a different theme. The pictures are from our annual Memorial Day raft-up at another yacht club. We alternate with one boat having out a bow anchor and the other boat with a stern anchor. Our next year's raft master want s to have the power boats put their bow anchors and the sailboats put out their stern hooks. The bulk of the strain would be on the power boat anchors with the sailboats keepin' the line straight. The current is no issue but the wind could be.

Attachments

• CCYC Strawberry Cruise 002 (1024x768).jpg
    CCYC Strawberry Cruise 002 (1024x768).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 79
  • CCYC Strawberry Cruise 004 (1024x768).jpg
    CCYC Strawberry Cruise 004 (1024x768).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 73
  • CCYC Strawberry Cruise 005.jpg
    CCYC Strawberry Cruise 005.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts

Back