• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: I like these, Kadey Krogen 42 estate sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is she has a wet hull.

somehing's amiss with the boat or they forgot the "1" in front of the other numbers in the price

True points and no doubt the boat probably has some "issues". But then again it could be fire sale priced by the heirs in order to liquidate the estate ASAP. Not altogether uncommon either.

This appears to be the one I looked at on Kent Island Maryland 2 years ago. If it's the same boat, the hull was reglassed over the core. Boat sat out of the water for several years and "oil canned" while blocked on land.

Ted

With the KK42 the house roof line follows the sheer line and presumably the outside deck. That would presumably transfer to the inside decks so walking fwd would be like climbing a hill. I'm not sure if I would like that unless it was low angle that would not be noticed. An extreme example would be the Lord Nelson Tug Yacht. It reminds me of cartoon images of tugboats w baseball cap wheelhouses. I don't really care for the look of it but it may look even more strange if the entire house was horizontal especially nested within a hull w a steeply ramped up sheer. If I had designed the Lord Nelson I may have considered splitting the slope difference between the outside decks and the inside in the wheelhouse. But I think I've seen boats w a horizontal cabin roof and sloping decks inside. The OB cruiser called a (Swansborough ?) has as I recall has a sweeping fwd sheer w a horizontal cabin roof. I assume that's to maintain headroom as it's a small boat and that the inside floors are probably horizontal for the same reason. This is an element of design not often considered.

Is the KK extreme in this way? I can think of only one more-so on this regard and that's the LN.

Diver you mean "oil canned" as in "hogged keel"? That would be BAD.

Last edited:
I just texted the guy asking if it had hull issues and he said it needed a bottom job.

I guess he meant replace the whole bottom! :)

Diver you mean "oil canned" as in "hogged keel"? That would be BAD.
This really deals more with sections of the hull flexing and stress cracking. In an otherwise proven hull design, this might indicate insufficient layers of glass in a reglassed hull. Hull might be salvageable by simply peeling and reglassing. But then I'm not a hull expert, and have never played one on TV.

Ted

I talked to the owner. She has moisture in the hull coring and soft spots on the fly and foredeck.

I dunno. Seeing an ad with the price scares me. If one bought the boat with say, a resolution that one would spend another 40 K making it right, you'd still end up with a KK 42. But I'd pay for someone who's done a lot of the work, like Osprey Boatworks, MD, to go up there and give me the straight of it. The reconditioning of cored hulls is something they pioneered, KK's included.

I dunno. Seeing an ad with the price scares me. If one bought the boat with say, a resolution that one would spend another 40 K making it right, you'd still end up with a KK 42. But I'd pay for someone who's done a lot of the work, like Osprey Boatworks, MD, to go up there and give me the straight of it. The reconditioning of cored hulls is something they pioneered, KK's included.

Everything can be fixed or made better than new for a price. You just have to run the numbers and see if it makes sense for you. 5-15K for soft spots. 20-30K hull to the water line. Above waterline who knows?

Here's a picture of the section removed, recored and reglassed on my boat. The engine vent leaked. Everything was above the waterline

imagejpeg_2_6.jpg

Without even looking at the boat, I'd say its a prime candidate for a refit making the boat as good as new.

Having been through a total refit, I would guess that by the time a good shipyard made the boat to like new condition, new gen, engine, everything you'd still be at or less than 225k and have a brand new boat

That makes it a great deal for a potential new owner with the means to make the boat new again.

I talked to the owner. She has moisture in the hull coring and soft spots on the fly and foredeck.
I had the same response when I spoke with him and he indicted a repair quote of 20k to the water line. Sounded like this was/is a real problem with early PVC cored boats. It's a great boat but can this issue be corrected and does 20 grand sound reasonable? Just not sure this is worth following up on.

The question should be what is the boat worth if the hull issues did not exist?

Answer that question and deduct the purchase price. If the hull can be made right with the difference or less it could be a good buy. Heal hustler mentioned an experienced yard in this thread.

The question should be what is the boat worth if the hull issues did not exist? Answer that question and deduct the purchase price. If the hull can be made right with the difference or less it could be a good buy. Heal hustler mentioned an experienced yard in this thread.
I understand the economics just concerned about the science of fixing this type of problem. I'm waiting for a call back from Osprey to check on the repair possibilities. Who knows it could be a good deal.

My Krogen is a 1986. Oil canning consists of 4 deflections in the hull shape due to the use of an alternate to the specified PVC coring. It's not structural and does not need to be fixed, but if you do, Washburn's has the technique. Mine had extensive blistering when I bought it, so I had the hull peeled and post-cured using the Hotvac system. Relaminated and nary a blister since the work in about 2003. $25,000 for that work. You can search the site for more details. That is a really good price for a Krogen even of that vintage unless it's been sunk.

Why do the repair?

For most inland cruising the boat should be fine as is?

AFTER the repair , it probably would not be trustworthy to go in blue water with , so why not

DONT WORRY BE HAPPY, and just go?

It always amazes me some people's lack of knowledge on what you can actually do with composite construction. I worked with a very well known highly respected composite aircraft company in the defense industry in the 1980s. They had a prototype aircraft that had a warping wing..and on initial flight testing the aircraft was completely unstable. they literally sawed the wings of of the fuselage one day and worked for 3 days to rebond the wings and move all of the systems. They flew it on the 4th day with completely acceptable results. Composite repairs can be made on some amazingly damaged structures. Wet cord halls are typically more of a problem of weight than with actual structural failure. the boat could probably bought and used and then sold at the same discounted rate with a lot less an initial outlay.. provided one can get insurance on that with a survey.
I've always been a fan of the Krogan yachts think they're great value for the dollar.

Hollywood

Last edited:
There is an old adage at play here: "With my great ideas and your money we can go a long way."

Unless one has a good heated shed and sound mechanical, FRP and composite skills this would not be a project for the faint hearted. If the previous owners let it go to hell this way, what other surprises are lurking?

I've a friend with a similar vintage KK42 wet hull and all. He elected to do as Hollywood suggests, use as is but first dry it out, find out first where the coring is breached, fix it and then party on. The vessel has made several trips from Seattle area to Glacier Bay as is. But, the rest of the vessel was very nice and needed little attention.

How come no one has bought this boat yet? Don't make me do it :banghead:

Why do the repair?

AFTER the repair , it probably would not be trustworthy to go in blue water with , so why not

I was thinking the same thing FF!!!

I also made an inquiry and believe was told that engine hours were around 11,000 so this may also be driving the price

Why do the repair?

Don't know whether the statement about the repairs will be true or not. But as a very happy Krogen 42 owner my feelings are that a Krogen 42 does not make a very good inland cruiser. Single engine, poor backward visibility, 4' 6" draft and huge fuel tanks are made for long distance open water cruising. There are probably better boats to pick for exclusive use on rivers and the ICW.

Just an opinion

Marty

Don't know whether the statement about the repairs will be true or not. But as a very happy Krogen 42 owner my feelings are that a Krogen 42 does not make a very good inland cruiser. Single engine, poor backward visibility, 4' 6" draft and huge fuel tanks are made for long distance open water cruising. There are probably better boats to pick for exclusive use on rivers and the ICW.

Just an opinion

Marty

I think he meant after repairs ....that's all it would be suitable for...

His faith in composites or those who work with them seems to be less than stellar.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom