Trawlerfest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denverd0n

Guru
I see that "Trawlerfest" is scheduled for Lake Park, FL in February. Anyone been to one of these? Did you find it worthwhile? Would it be worthwhile to a trawler-newbie? From the website it's not quite clear to me what all it is, exactly. Like a boat show plus?

Thanks for any info.

I see that "Trawlerfest" is scheduled for Lake Park, FL in February. Anyone been to one of these? Did you find it worthwhile? Would it be worthwhile to a trawler-newbie? From the website it's not quite clear to me what all it is, exactly. Like a boat show plus?

Thanks for any info.

Yeah, it could be worthwhile for a trawler newbie. It depends on how much you want to sign up for, but it can get expensive. You will see different kinds of trawlers, and meet people actually doing it. The trawler crawl is usually worthwhile.

Trawler Fest 2014 – Lake Park, FL | PassageMaker

Not sure what all they are doing nowadays....

I taught at a few...the different lectures can be hit or miss depending on your boating style...the hands on training like fire extinguishers and flares, damage control are good if you never have done any of these hands on.

The open discussion forums can be really worth it...

Like an form of boat show...it's often talking to other boates, owners, captains are the hidden gems of info.

Some make long lasting friends there as they are completely different than you typical boat show...they were designed that way.

I was at the last two in Ft. Lauderdale. The Lake Park show is the same one, moved up the ICW just outside of West Palm Beach. Should be the same draw. Lots of classes, discussions, meals together, etc...and of course, the latest and greatest in Trawlers. Bob Vincent from Endeavour Cats attended last year with his 40 Sky Lounge and remodeled 44. Leopard Cats were there with a 38 and 47 I think. A decent range of used broker boats. KK was impressive, Nordhavn too. Tugs from American and Ranger. It was a pretty good show. Vendor show was small but helpful. My Admiral and I did some classes in and out. We felt it was worth the money, but register for the classes you want ahead of time....they fill up.

I've spoken at several of them, on safety issues and on the refurb of our old Uniflite. As mentioned, it can get expensive if you go to many seminars. My wife took the women-only twin-screw handling class during the Trawlerfest University that's held a few days before the show, and she had a good time doing the "twin screw two-step" in a Grand Banks 53 Europa. Tuition for that 2-day session was $400.

If you enjoy wrenching and want to learn more about marine diesels and systems, I recommend Steve D'Antonio's seminars. They usually sell out. He's a good speaker, and a knowledgeable guy.

Trawlerfest is definitely a moneymaker for the Passagemaker folks. All the stuff they cover is available elsewhere, but the fact that it's all available in one place may make it worth the $$ to you. The socializing is definitely a fun part of it.

I went to one several years ago and enjoyed it you will meet lots of owners and see lots of trawlers. If you have a short list you might meet owners of the makes on your list.

They are pretty good and a good way to see different styles of trawlers. However the economy has hit theses, I just went to Baltimore trawler Fest in October and not very many products.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Back
Top Bottom