SSB- single side band huh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
After reading Hollywood's thread about installing his SSB. It got me thinking we have on on the new boat, this is the setup M802 SSB Radio, AT140 tuner, and 23' Shakespeare galaxy antenna. Anyways how do I use it? Are there any guides out there? :banghead: Also we will be adding some small garmin for the SAT weather, so basically the only use I see with it is long range distress radio.

Oliver,
Check out the Cruising Club of America web site.
They have some good stuff on communications and some details on using the Icom 710 series of HF radios.
These are earlier models that the 820 but may be of some use.

Down here in our neck of the woods the HF is a great source of weather info if one travels off shore out of VHF range and also the best safety device other than the EPIRB ( these are compulsory down in Aus)

The sat phone is good but you can only ring one person the radio contacts everybody on the air waves .
Cheers
Benn

After reading Hollywood's thread about installing his SSB. It got me thinking we have on on the new boat, this is the setup M802 SSB Radio, AT140 tuner, and 23' Shakespeare galaxy antenna. Anyways how do I use it? Are there any guides out there? :banghead: Also we will be adding some small garmin for the SAT weather, so basically the only use I see with it is long range distress radio.

On Volunteer I kept a radio schedule with friends as they sailed around the Pacific, on last years delivery trip to mexico we used the ssb to communicate with a buddy boat out of vhf range. radio telephone,weather, email, ssb nets, news are just some of the reasons to use the ssb.

HOLLYWOOD

Oliver

Use will depend upon where you go. In the United States and Canada we generally rely upon cell phones and VHF radios. The SSB is sort of sidelined. Once you leave the US and Canada the SSB becomes both your telephone and your weather information source. Starting with the Bahamas there are specific weather broadcasts to listen to each morning and evening and very active cruisers' nets that will tell you both where your friends are and provide all sorts of information.

Noonsite has a list of cruising nets. Noonsite.com - The Ultimate Cruisers Planning Tool For weather in the Bahamas start with Chris Parker Marine Weather Center - Bahamas & Caribbean Marine Weather Services. There are many other sites you will learn about.

Marty

Oliver, Check out the Cruising Club of America web site. They have some good stuff on communications and some details on using the Icom 710 series of HF radios. These are earlier models that the 820 but may be of some use. Down here in our neck of the woods the HF is a great source of weather info if one travels off shore out of VHF range and also the best safety device other than the EPIRB ( these are compulsory down in Aus) The sat phone is good but you can only ring one person the radio contacts everybody on the air waves . Cheers Benn
Thanks Benn I'll check out that website. :)

Lots of good information available via SSB once you obtain broadcast schedules and frequencies from any of the above referenced sources. Ditto on Chris Parker Weather net for superb info in the Bahamas and throughout the Caribbean. No license is required to listen; however, if you want to transmit on SSB you will need a license (Marine Radio Operators Permit). They're fairly easy to obtain from the US FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and no longer expire.

On Volunteer I kept a radio schedule with friends as they sailed around the Pacific, on last years delivery trip to mexico we used the ssb to communicate with a buddy boat out of vhf range. radio telephone,weather, email, ssb nets, news are just some of the reasons to use the ssb. HOLLYWOOD
Thanks. :)

Oliver Use will depend upon where you go. In the United States and Canada we generally rely upon cell phones and VHF radios. The SSB is sort of sidelined. Once you leave the US and Canada the SSB becomes both your telephone and your weather information source. Starting with the Bahamas there are specific weather broadcasts to listen to each morning and evening and very active cruisers' nets that will tell you both where your friends are and provide all sorts of information. Noonsite has a list of cruising nets. Noonsite.com - The Ultimate Cruisers Planning Tool For weather in the Bahamas start with Chris Parker Marine Weather Center - Bahamas & Caribbean Marine Weather Services. There are many other sites you will learn about. Marty
Thanks I'll take a look at those websites. Well mainly be around the far Bahamas, so I check out those cruiser nets, also I heard that you can get grib files for weather how is this done? :)

Lots of good information available via SSB once you obtain broadcast schedules and frequencies from any of the above referenced sources. Ditto on Chris Parker Weather net for superb info in the Bahamas and throughout the Caribbean. No license is required to listen; however, if you want to transmit on SSB you will need a license (Marine Radio Operators Permit). They're fairly easy to obtain from the US FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and no longer expire.
Thanks, was not aware you need a permit though. :)

Last edited:
have you considered getting a HAM radio for SSB?
Not really because I'm just learning all the possibilities of an SSB. Don't really think I need ,but I might as learn how to use it if it's there. :)

Last edited:
We have the ICM802 with a SCS Pactor 3 modem. This allows us to send and receive emails and weather fax anywhere in the world. You can't surf the net but it's an easy way to stay in touch. You can usually find a used Pactor on E Bay or on the coconut telegraph. For SSB you'll be using Sailmail which costs $250/year.

SailMail

If you get your ham license (IC-M802 is ham ready), you can use Winlink. It's free with basically unlimited time.

http://www.winlink.org/

We have a subscription to Bouyweather and get daily weather forecasts and also passage forecasts. We have done the same thing with weather forecasts from Chris Parker. You can also download weather faxes from anywhere in the world.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf

HF Radio is a wonderful tool! :)

Oliver: When you start playing around with your radio, turn off all your onboard electronics which include you refrigeration, battery charger/inverter, florescent lights, etc. They will interferer with your reception. An easy way to get started is to listen to VOA or any of the news channels and start turning things back on. You'll be amazed at what interferes with the signal. You can also set your clocks to HF Timed Broadcasts. They give the time continually. Here are some of the frequencies: 5 MHz, 8MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz and 20MHz

We have the ICM802 with a SCS Pactor 3 modem. This allows us to send and receive emails and weather fax anywhere in the world. You can't surf the net but it's an easy way to stay in touch. You can usually find a used Pactor on E Bay or on the coconut telegraph. For SSB you'll be using Sailmail which costs $250/year. SailMail If you get your ham license (IC-M802 is ham ready), you can use Winlink. It's free with basically unlimited time. http://www.winlink.org/ We have a subscription to Bouyweather and get daily weather forecasts and also passage forecasts. We have done the same thing with weather forecasts from Chris Parker. You can also download weather faxes from anywhere in the world. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf HF Radio is a wonderful tool! :)
Thanks I'll take a look at the websites, for now I'll just use it for forecasts, then if I like it maybe get an license. :)

Last edited:
Oliver: When you start playing around with your radio, turn off all your onboard electronics which include you refrigeration, battery charger/inverter, florescent lights, etc. They will interferer with your reception. An easy way to get started is to listen to VOA or any of the news channels and start turning things back on. You'll be amazed at what interferes with the signal. You can also set your clocks to HF Timed Broadcasts. They give the time continually. Here are some of the frequencies: 5 MHz, 8MHz, 10MHz, 15MHz and 20MHz
Wow didn't know that thanks for the heads up. :)

Thanks I'll take a look at the websites, for now I'll just use it for forecasts, then if I like it maybe get an license.

For SSB frequencies you'll need to submit an application to the FCC but no test. I believe this is the same form you need to fill out if you are going to use your VHF radio outside the US. This one license will cover your SSB, VHF, EPIRB plus a few others. Anyone have the form number or want to add to this?

You will need to take a test for your Ham license if you are going to broadcast on the ham frequencies.

For SSB frequencies you'll need to submit an application to the FCC but no test. I believe this is the same form you need to fill out if you are going to use your VHF radio outside the US. This one license will cover your SSB, VHF, EPIRB plus a few others. Anyone have the form number or want to add to this? You will need to take a test for your Ham license if you are going to broadcast on the ham frequencies.
So I have to submit a forum to the FCC to listen in on frequencies?

If you go to the Bahamas you will need a license for your VHF and the SSB, EPRIB etc. can be part of the lience.

FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing

Who Needs a Ship Station License

You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft. The term "voluntary ships" does not apply to the following:
  1. Cargo ships over 300 gross tons navigating in the open sea;
  2. Ships certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry more than 6 passengers for hire in the open sea or tidewaters of the U.S.;
  3. Power driven ships over 20 meters in length on navigable waterways;
  4. Ships of more than 100 gross tons certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry at least one passenger on navigable waterways;
  5. Tow boats of more than 7.8 meters in length on navigable waterways; and,
  6. Uninspected commercial fishing industry vessels required to carry a VHF radio.
  7. Ships required to carry an Automatic Identification System (AIS) transceiver by the U.S. Coast Guard regulations enacted pursuant to the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2000.
Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit.

Last edited:
Unless you are cruising in an area with an active SSB Net, you may not find much to listen to on the SSB frequencies. Further, in an emergency it may be hard or impossible to raise any other station, CG or private, due to the relatively few stations listening 24/7. I have two suggestions that will make your SSB radio much more useful:

1) There are free computer programs (Google "Free weatherfax programs") that you can download to allow you to receive free Weather Fax broadcasts Marine Radiofax charts The only equipment you will need other than the SSB and computer is an audio cable. I find the Wind/Wave predictions on these charts very accurate for the Gulf and Bahamas. When you are out of internet range, this free service is priceless.

2) TonyB is correct: Get a General HAM license (no code test required) American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO It is legal to transmit on HAM frequencies using a SSB radio with a HAM license (However, it is NOT legal to transmit on SSB frequencies using a HAM radio). Most SSB radios can be set up to transmit and receive on the HAM frequencies, though the set up can be a bit of a fiddle (information on how to do it is all over the internet). The propagation of HF radio (SSB and HAM) is all about the atmospheric skip. With the large number of HAM operators out there, it is quite easy to find someone at the perfect distance to which you can communicate. Further, there are wonderful people who man the various HAM NETS eager to help any mariner with any issue.

Try tuning to 14.300 MHZ for the Marine Mobile Service Net during daylight hours Maritime Mobile Service Network to get an idea of the wonderful free service these volunteers provide.

No, you are free to listen without any forms required. You only need to register with the FCC if you wish to transmit.
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying. :)

If you go to the Bahamas you will need a license for your VHF and the SSB, EPRIB etc. can be part of the lience. FCC: Wireless Services: Ship Radio Stations: Licensing Who Needs a Ship Station License You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft. The term "voluntary ships" does not apply to the following: [*]Cargo ships over 300 gross tons navigating in the open sea; [*]Ships certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry more than 6 passengers for hire in the open sea or tidewaters of the U.S.; [*]Power driven ships over 20 meters in length on navigable waterways; [*]Ships of more than 100 gross tons certified by the U.S. Coast Guard to carry at least one passenger on navigable waterways; [*]Tow boats of more than 7.8 meters in length on navigable waterways; and, [*]Uninspected commercial fishing industry vessels required to carry a VHF radio. [*]Ships required to carry an Automatic Identification System (AIS) transceiver by the U.S. Coast Guard regulations enacted pursuant to the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2000. Ships are considered as operating domestically when they do not travel to foreign ports or do not transmit radio communications to foreign stations. Sailing in international waters is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to a foreign port (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands), a license is required. Additionally, if you travel to a foreign port, you are required to have an operator permit.
Thanks for the info! So I need an license for my VHF in the Bahamas? Never had one neither has anyone I know that travels the Bahamas.

Unless you are cruising in an area with an active SSB Net, you may not find much to listen to on the SSB frequencies. Further, in an emergency it may be hard or impossible to raise any other station, CG or private, due to the relatively few stations listening 24/7. I have two suggestions that will make your SSB radio much more useful: 1) There are free computer programs (Google "Free weatherfax programs") that you can download to allow you to receive free Weather Fax broadcasts Marine Radiofax charts The only equipment you will need other than the SSB and computer is an audio cable. I find the Wind/Wave predictions on these charts very accurate for the Gulf and Bahamas. When you are out of internet range, this free service is priceless. 2) TonyB is correct: Get a General HAM license (no code test required) American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO It is legal to transmit on HAM frequencies using a SSB radio with a HAM license (However, it is NOT legal to transmit on SSB frequencies using a HAM radio). Most SSB radios can be set up to transmit and receive on the HAM frequencies, though the set up can be a bit of a fiddle (information on how to do it is all over the internet). The propagation of HF radio (SSB and HAM) is all about the atmospheric skip. With the large number of HAM operators out there, it is quite easy to find someone at the perfect distance to which you can communicate. Further, there are wonderful people who man the various HAM NETS eager to help any mariner with any issue. Try tuning to 14.300 MHZ for the Marine Mobile Service Net during daylight hours Maritime Mobile Service Network to get an idea of the wonderful free service these volunteers provide.
Thanks, I think I'm just going stick to listening in on broadcasts.

N4712

By virtue of buying your N47 you took a few steps into the serious cruisers realm. Being able to send and receive on SSB will serve to increase your safety at sea as well as providing general communications and daily weather updates. Venturing a few miles offshore and losing all of today's modern cellular technology is a reality. SSB offers a really simple and time proven substitute.

It sounds like your vessel is well equipped; enjoyng it and all the Nordhavn pluses will be exciting.

N4712 By virtue of buying your N47 you took a few steps into the serious cruisers realm. Being able to send and receive on SSB will serve to increase your safety at sea as well as providing general communications and daily weather updates. Venturing a few miles offshore and losing all of today's modern cellular technology is a reality. SSB offers a really simple and time proven substitute. It sounds like your vessel is well equipped; enjoyng it and all the Nordhavn pluses will be exciting.
Totally agree, for weather were going have the garmins which is excellent. Also I see a distress button that will work the same as a vhf right?

Maybe you can clarify something for me re your weather info.
You say for weather you have your Garmins, what does that mean?
I know they make sounders/fish finders, plotters radars etc.

here in Aus for weather info we either get it from one of the suppliers via computer, BOM (Bureau of Meteorology ) Bouyweather and various other sites, over VHF from Marine Rescue Stations or via phone.
Once out of reach of these, about 30 miles off the coast it is down to sat phone or HF radio.

Cheers
Benn

Benn

I think this is what they are talking about

XM

Maybe you can clarify something for me re your weather info. You say for weather you have your Garmins, what does that mean? I know they make sounders/fish finders, plotters radars etc. here in Aus for weather info we either get it from one of the suppliers via computer, BOM (Bureau of Meteorology ) Bouyweather and various other sites, over VHF from Marine Rescue Stations or via phone. Once out of reach of these, about 30 miles off the coast it is down to sat phone or HF radio. Cheers Benn
Garmin has a weather service (Sirius) that gives a radar with realtime weather, tides and marinas around you. Great technology!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom