Top Ten Rules Of The Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of great stuff. One that I don't see though and maybe it's only me.
No glass bottles are allowed on deck. We only allow plastic cups and cans.
Cheers and thanks to all the contributors and the OP for bringing this forward.

1) No dark sole shoes allowed on the boat.
2) Don't touch any switches (that one's mainly for my grandson)

I really don't like Wine out of plastic.....

If I had that rule, I'd be banned from my own boat! I drink from beer bottles, but our wine glasses are polymer. For that special beer from a glass, it's made from stainless steel.

... She can comfortably handle 6 for drinks, 4 for dinner and 2 overnight. ...

Nevertheless, Al, the Coot can easily handle twelve for drinks, six for meals, and two overnight (five in a crises) in about the same-size, if not smaller, package. (Al and I are pals, so this is merely friendly banter.)

img_194474_0_77b0caace6e5009b0126d2e5f88f559a.jpg

Last edited:
"Nevertheless, Al, the Coot can easily handle twelve for drinks, six for meals, and two overnight (five in a crises) in about the same-size, if not smaller, package."

...and at 4 times the price, it better. :whistling: Note I used the term 'comfortably'. I have slept 4 many times, fed 6 a few times and had 23 on board for her christening, nearly all with a drink in their hand. All memorable events, but not as comfortable for all involved.

But I like my galley and cockpit. Besides, all boats are compromises.

Sorry for the thread creep...

Last edited:
I like it!! I want to be serious and also want to educate for safety, but I also feel like you, that people need to be reminded to just relax and enjoy. Go job!

Thanks so much!
Norm

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

I really don't like Wine out of plastic.....
Me neither. Life is too short to drink poor wine, same goes for glasses. Expensive plastic ones start clear- get cloudy, separate into stem and cup. I can nearly buy 6 "everyday" glass ones, for the cost of just 1 plastic one. We`ve not broken a glass one yet, not even the champagne ones ($18 for 6, not real flutes, they`d never survive).

As the forum's designated redneck. Red solo cups are aboard my boat for your alcoholic consumption pleasure.

No rules only suggestions...and those who break them seem to never come aboard again. Here's one of our favorite suggestions:

image-2213748166.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Love that "red soolo cup clip, Craig! ... And "As Good As I Once Was" hits too close to home.

Last edited:
Wine away is awesome stuff.

We really don't have much in the way of rules. Just be safe. It's usually just the two if us though. :)

"One Hand for the Sailor and One Hand for the Ship"
"If you didn't eat it... don't flush it"

My grandaughters (8 & 12) have been able to recite my four simple rules since they were toddler's

- No whining on the boat.
- Papa get hugs whenever he wants (even if you don't want to).
- Papa gets all the chocolate.
- I don't give a damn who bought it, the last beer is mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard Wine Away is great stuff, but if I don't allow red wine on the boat I never have to test it out.

A neighbor of ours who knew about the rule snuck a bottle of red on board a couple of years ago in a carry on bag. I didn't know it but when I saw it open on the galley counter I quietly picked it up and dumped it down the galley sink, then set it back on the counter.

A bit later he came to it for another glass of wine and found it empty. He loudly asked "Hey, what happened to my wine?" I (just as loudly) explained that red wine isn't allowed on my boat, so I dumped it.

That was his last trip on Beachcomber.

Red wine is more than welcome on my boat, especially a good Coonawarra shiraz.
Guests on board Kokanee have also found their bottle empty. One of the joys of boat ownership. The captain gets to make the rules!

Everybody here seems to complains about teak..

You can spill all the red wine or blow puke on it all you want..

diesel not so much..

GFC has a SeaRay that most likely has wall to wall carpet.. I hated that in my SeaRay... not to mention most of them are off white.. on a boat ?? seriously?? white??

Personally I don't want a boat that cannot take a little red wine spill in stride..or black soled shoes.

I went to a boat show once where the Catalina sail boats had a no shoe policy... next to them were Dehler or some other euro higher end boats that welcomed you and your evil shoes.. guess which ones I looked at?

HOLLYWOOD

:banghead:

I (just as loudly) explained that red wine isn't allowed on my boat, so I dumped it.

Geez, I routinely attend some of the most expensive yachts on the planet and have yet to see one where red wine is forbidden. Those boats have countertops that cost more than 5 or 6 times what your entire boat is worth.

That was his last trip on Beachcomber.

Can't say as I blame the guy ... life is too short to spend it in that kind of environment.

No particular set of rules aboard, But have one for dock neighbors which is:
If the boat's a rockin', don't come a knockin'.

Rule #1
Rule # 2 usually takes care of itself
When at Sea copy.jpg

Greetings,
Er, Captrigney, wouldn't your a**hole be facing the bowl if you're sitting or is there some sort of anatomical anomaly at work here?

Guest are told before leaving the dock, "we will not return until the Captain is ready to return". I other words if you think you may have some other thing going on in your life that might cause the rest of us to interrupt our cruise you may want to just remain behind.

Geez, I routinely attend some of the most expensive yachts on the planet and have yet to see one where red wine is forbidden. Those boats have countertops that cost more than 5 or 6 times what your entire boat is worth.

Can't say as I blame the guy ... life is too short to spend it in that kind of environment.
Rick, I guess it all comes down to this: It's my boat, I get to make the rules. If you know what the rules are and choose to disobey them, then I get to enforce my rules.

We all have choices to make. If you make a poor choice, you stand to lose.

My boat, my rules. If you notice, I only have two rules for my boat. I make the "No Red Wine" rule very clear ahead of time so everyone who is a guest on board knows about it.

I guess I would turn that situation around and say....If the guy knew the rule (he did, he's a neighbor of mine and we'd talked about it before) why would he choose to disobey that rule? In my opinion he was playing a power trip game, trying to show me that his desires out trumped my rule. If you knew the guy you would understand.

Back
Top Bottom