USCG vessel reg. time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eseyoung

does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get the ownership/vessel name change back from the CG? We sent ours in on October 10, they charged my CC on the 15th. But as of about 10 mins ago the boat is still showing up on the PSIX as her old name and owner and i haven't gotten anything back from them.

It took almost six months to get our USCG Documentation (submitted in April, paperwork arrived late September). You should get a temporary documentation certificate from them in a week or two.

Good Luck

When we bought our boat we hire a company to take care of all the paperwork. He told us that it could be 6-8 moths before we heard back from them. In the mean time he gave us a "travelling Letter" and bill of sale to show we own the boat.

Since I did the paperwork myself I don't have any sort of traveling letter. I suppose my credit card statement where they charged me for it will have to do. Not sure if that is good enough but its all i have. i have copies of the application too so i guess between the two of them i can prove that i am in processing.

If you are planning a foreign trip, immediately call the Coast Guard Documentation Center and ask that your paperwork be expedited tell them you are leaving the United States. Not sure this is necessary if the foreign country is Canada, but I would ask for expedited service anyway.

Marty

Since I did the paperwork myself I don't have any sort of traveling letter.

The USCG began issuing temporary Documentation Certificates in August, because the back log was getting so long. They should get you the temp cert within a couple of weeks and it should cover you, even for entry into a foreign port.

Annual renewals are definitely on-time. Nevertheless, my initial documentation took about four months at the end of 2010. Be patient. ... They'll get to it. (The USCG documentation center is very friendly over the phone.)

You can check their website and see the dates they are currently processing.

I, personally don't care if it takes a year. However, they (may?) care that the ownership info and name isn't correct. i don't understand the idea of a temp document. Doesn't that just use resources and slow down the process even more? If the info is entered to create temp why not click 2 more boxes and just issue a real document? Bureaucracy and redundancy?

Ironically, the address of the processing center in WV is about 4 miles from where i work. perhaps i should drive over there on my lunch break and give them what for. :rofl:

Last edited:
Ironically, the address of the processing center in WV is about 4 miles from where i work. perhaps i should drive over there on my lunch break and give them what for. :rofl:

Yes you should. Be nice!

While you are there ask why they don't issue them for more than a year at a time.

Tom

And remember that they were, more than likely, on a paid vacation the first half of October. So any natural backlog is two weeks longer than when it was at the end of September.

Back
Top Bottom