Silicone engine hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fryedaze

Guru
Vessel Name
Fryedaze
Vessel Make
MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
One of this winters projects is to change out all the water hoses on my 6BT5.9M Cummins. I found these on line and thought it would make a cool look for the ER. Any fatal flaws in using these? Other than it will cost alot just for pretty.

Attachments

• htsc_blue_175px.jpg
    htsc_blue_175px.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 332
  • htsec90-blue_175px.jpg
    htsec90-blue_175px.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 301
  • htst-blue_175px.jpg
    htst-blue_175px.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 307
Yes, silicone hoses need constant pressure clamps with rolled edges and no perforations. I have some silicone hoses, breather, turbo, aftercooler, turbo drain where they see hot oil or oil fumes. For coolant... waste of money.

Don't think that you can't burn through one easily because they claim "high temp resistance"...

I managed to burn through enough with the assistance towing boat so that the owners went back to the cheaper hose....:socool:

Love the silicone hose have it on all my hoses on boat engine and also we use it on all our engines in our tug fleet. mainly CAT 3516s with C17 gen sets. We get long life out of our hoses and all 14 of our tugs are on call 24/7. With a 24 hr maint period once a month. Good even clamping is essential.
Cheers
Benn

Love the silicone hose have it on all my hoses on boat engine and also we use it on all our engines in our tug fleet. mainly CAT 3516s with C17 gen sets. We get long life out of our hoses and all 14 of our tugs are on call 24/7. With a 24 hr maint period once a month. Good even clamping is essential.
Cheers
Benn

Benn, do you have a perferred supplier for the hoses?

Probably not a lot of use to you but we get a lot from Hose Supplies Australia and CAT also supply some but at elevated prices.
Cheers
Benn

Just be sure to use proper clamps and clean the mounting surfaces.

Just be sure to use proper clamps and clean the mounting surfaces.

Yep, it will require the stainless t bolt clamps at $3 each. I will need 60 new clamps.

Back
Top Bottom