Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
With the purchase of N4712, we've been going through systems and getting parts, etc. It's time to replace the batteries :nonono::hide: there are 7 8D lifeline AGM's and one 4D lifeline. Should we replace them with lifelines, or is there an another brand we should consider?:confused:

How deep is your wallet ? :)

I'm a big fan of replacing 8D units with 6v batteries- they weigh less (easier for 1 man to handle) and can provide all the power requirements you need.

How deep is your wallet ? :) I'm a big fan of replacing 8D units with 6v batteries- they weigh less (easier for 1 man to handle) and can provide all the power requirements you need.
We would really like to keep everything the same way it's setup. Were going pay for someone to do it no matter what (to much weight lifting :hide: )just wanted to know if there were other brand AGM's that were good also. :)

Last edited:
I vote for Peter's suggestion. Lifelines will be 3-5 times as expensive per amphour of capacity as top of the line Trojan 6V golf cart batteries.

Two 6V batteries will fit in the same space as an 8D. All it takes is another jumper to parallel two batteries to make 12V.

The only downside to flooded cell batteries is checking the water in the cells. I check mine every 3 months and usually have to add water twice each year. Pretty small effort to save thousands of dollars.

David

Maybe I worded my question wrong, I just want to know if there any other manufactures of agm 4D's and 8D's that people have used and want their opinions. money is not the problem, nor is weight.

I have used Lifeline Batteries and I think they are terrific. I decided that I couldn't afford them the last time I changed batteries so I went with batteries made by Full River in China. I've had them in service for a little over a year now and so far so good. My boat has 2 - 4D and 1 Group 31 Battery. Full River batteries are sold under a couple of different names here in the States.

I'm with Hopcar on this. I have gone with Fullriver AGM s for house and start.
Have not had them in for long but so far I am extremely happy with my new set up 8 x 250 amp/hr batteries @ $320.00 each and 2 x 12 V start batteries @ $400.00 each. These are Aussie prices and probably cheaper in the US.
My marine leckky here in Aus swears by them and says he has never had any problems.
Cheers
Benn

I'd stick with the Lifelines as the boxes, chargers, wiring etc is all set up for them. BTW, if not already done, this would be a good time to install a pure sine wave inverter. Many of the Nordhavns of your vintage had the MSW units.

other brand AGM's that were good also.

AS GOOD? You have to define good.

The big advantage of AGM is their ability to recharge at a great rate , to cut the recharge time
Sadly almost no boats with AGM have the capacity to actually USE this feature .

200-400Amps of charging power is usually needed , So for most there a waste of time .

If money is no object spring about $200 for a SOC meter and have it installed.

This is your gas gauge and will keep whatever you purchase from harm, and get the best use of the batts and charging system you have.

Odyssey makes good AGMs. After much research., we chose Odyssey for our DSe 12m "Sunshine." After 5 years of hard use, we recently replaced them with lithium.

BTW, when hooking up two 6v batteries to make a 12v one, it is called "series."

When hooking up two batteries of the same size to increase the AHs, it is calmed "parallel."

Alright, I think well just stay with lifelines, and yes we do have a trace pure sine wave inverter/charger.

Thanks, I'll look into a SOC meter. Any preferred brands?

Just breezing thru a few of the battery subject threads, and it really does appear that MANY prefer those 6-volt Golf cart batteries. I found numerous interesting discussions, and this one brief one:

Marin said:
We replaced our two 8Ds with six, 6vdc golf cart batteries (three 6vdc batteries fit in one 8D box). The big advantage for us is that four 6vdc batteries have approx twice the amp hours of one 8D. The other two 6vdc batteries fill the role of start battery and have the same amp hour rating as one 8D.

So with no change to the boat's wiring or physical battery setup we doubled our house power capacity and retained our start battery capacity but with smaller and lighter individual batteries.
Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Time for new batts, should i go 12v or 6v?

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/time-new-batts-should-i-go-12v-6v-9277.html
(Did not read all way thru this subject thread, but it appears as though there was lots of good info. BUT it was 'closed off'.....wonder why??)

Last edited:
We installed 2 Magnum SOC or "BMKs" which match our inverter. I'm sure Trace makes them too which would give you compatibility with your inverter.

Just breezing thru a few of the battery subject threads, and it really does appear that MANY prefer those 6-volt Golf cart batteries. I found numerous interesting discussions, and this one brief one: Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Time for new batts, should i go 12v or 6v? http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/time-new-batts-should-i-go-12v-6v-9277.html (Did not read all way thru this subject thread, but it appears as though there was lots of good info. BUT it was 'closed off'.....wonder why??)
We are staying with 8D's. An alternate to them is not the problem. But thanks anyways :)

We installed 2 Magnum SOC or "BMKs" which match our inverter. I'm sure Trace makes them too which would give you compatibility with your inverter.
I tried looking up one that's a trace with no luck, the inverter is an original 03. Probably just go with an Victron unit.

You won't go wrong by sticking with the Lifeline.

Odyssey!!!!

And FF, while you are correct reference the need for LOTS of amps to recharged, that is not the only advantage of AGM batteries. AGMs can take more abuse than wet batteries. If you treat wet batteries perfectly, they will serve you well and it is difficult to argue the value of AGMs. BUT, I don't live in a perfect world and **** happens. **** like somebody unplugging your boat and DC power running down your batteries to nothing and then your. Boat sitting unattended for weeks with dead batteries. That will be near death for a wet battery. Not so for AGM. Also, AGMs do not gas like wet batteries do nor do they leak...more advantages. So while we don't often have the ability to take advantage of the rapid recharge rates offered by AGMs, there are other advantages. And given an imperfect world, they do last longer.

Last edited:
Lifeline's have a good rep.

For those considering changing from AGMs to flooded batteries, make sure your battery boxes and compartments are suitable for flooded batteries. Many Nordhavns are set up for AGMs and don't have battery boxes capable of capturing spilled electrolyte. ABYC calls for such a containment box for flooded batteries. I think there are also venting requirements, but I'm not sure.

Lifeline recommends a charge rate of not less than 20% of the AH of the batteries. I doubt many trawlers have that ability as the battery banks are typically in excess of 1,000 AH.

I would think most owners ignore this requirement with the AGMs.

Marty

Lifeline recommends a charge rate of not less than 20% of the AH of the batteries. I doubt many trawlers have that ability as the battery banks are typically in excess of 1,000 AH.

I would think most owners ignore this requirement with the AGMs.

Marty

The purpose of that is so that they can desulfate. Maybe a separate desulfator would help in that situation. My batter banks is about 550ah. That means I would need 110 amps according to your spec. I might be able to get there with the alternators running at cruise speed. My battery charger is 80 amps and I think it has a peak higher than that although I can't remember. Anyways, I might be close. I was speaking with an Odyssey rep and I don't remember the math she was using but I was well short on charging capacity according to her calculations. Anyway, that was the reason she gave me for high amperage charging...desulfating!

Oliver,
Stick with the 8D Lifelines. I'm on my second set of Lifelines, 6v ones in my case, and I think they are a quality product.

One suggestion I would make is to contact Lifeline tech support, describe how you use your boat and batteries (what % at dock or anchor, loads, etc and what charger you have) and they can recommend what voltages to charge at and how often to equalize to maximize the life of the batteries.

Another resource is Attainable Adventures which did a long term evaluation on Lifeline AGM batteries. He has some very good recommendations on how to extend the life of the batteries, as well as being an excellent resource on cruising in general.

Frank

Oliver, Stick with the 8D Lifelines. I'm on my second set of Lifelines, 6v ones in my case, and I think they are a quality product. One suggestion I would make is to contact Lifeline tech support, describe how you use your boat and batteries (what % at dock or anchor, loads, etc and what charger you have) and they can recommend what voltages to charge at and how often to equalize to maximize the life of the batteries. Another resource is Attainable Adventures which did a long term evaluation on Lifeline AGM batteries. He has some very good recommendations on how to extend the life of the batteries, as well as being an excellent resource on cruising in general. Frank
Thanks, were going get them all pulled and replaced by our battery guy. Ain't cheap, but they'll go for another 10 years (their original batteries).

>Ain't cheap, but they'll go for another 10 years (their original batteries). <

Perhaps , a really deep discharge will reduce the battery capacity and life the same as 1/2 priced LA wet batts.

AGM ARE harder to destroy , but a lack of information makes it really easy to kill any style..

Do you have a SOC meter? Or even just a low voltage alarm?

Knowledge is Power! Just ask the NSA.

>Ain't cheap, but they'll go for another 10 years (their original batteries). < Perhaps , a really deep discharge will reduce the battery capacity and life the same as 1/2 priced LA wet batts. AGM ARE harder to destroy , but a lack of information makes it really easy. Do you have a SOC meter? Or even just a low voltage alarm? Knowledge is Power!
Nope But we're going to add one.

Just found out we actually have 10 batteries total, long story. But yay more batteries! :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom