Laptop for GPS Chartplotter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain K

Vessel Name
GITANA
Vessel Make
Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse
As a confessed computer nerd, I admit to being "fuzzy" at best on how to equip and configure my on-board laptop (Microsoft Windows 7) for use as a chartplotter. Step-by-step suggestions would be most appreciated.

Are you using Open CPN? What GPS are you connecting to the laptop?

As a confessed computer nerd, I admit to being "fuzzy" at best on how to equip and configure my on-board laptop (Microsoft Windows 7) for use as a chartplotter. Step-by-step suggestions would be most appreciated.

You'll see from other posts that it's conceptually easy: software, GPS sensor, charts, E Voila!

I'll only add a couple things about laptops in general: usually not daylight visible in all conditions of bright/direct sunlight, usually not particularly waterproof, and you'll probably want a system that can be self-sufficient (i.e., not internet dependent) while underway.

Also, if you have a built-in chartplotter (or two, one up, one down?) you may want a software/charting system that is seamlessly compatible with your built-ins. If such happens to exist, depending on you're starting position.

Finally... there are apps that seem to work to varying degrees on various tablet hardware... for cheap. If the hardware has built-in GPS (without regard to cellular or Wi-Fi connections), you may find those to be viable alternatives to a bigger laptop. (Although I'm assuming you already have that, give the opsys citation.)

-Chris

What is "Open CPN?" Don't have a GPS connected to the laptop at this stage. Fryedaze, thanks for the links. Will check those out. Are the steps: 1. Get a GPS receiver, 2. Connect it to the laptop. 3. Get chart software, 4. Install required GPS and Chart software? Told you I was a nerd! Thanks for the replies!

Sorry I figured a computer nerd was the same as a computer geek. Open CPN is free PC charting software. Yes you need a GPS connected to the laptop. Then you configure the USB drive to the type GPS signal (some will automatically connect) and you are done

OpenCPN is what I use. I like it because it's free and it can alternately display vector and raster charts for any given area. It's an easy click to switch to the other style of chart.

If I'm not mistaken, OpenCPN loads without charts. NOAA vector and raster charts are available free online.

Also you can go ahead and install OpenCPN now then install the charts for your area. Config the gps when you get it... that way you can play with it now
HOLLYWOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom