What does your boat look like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of the time kids are great on boats but if you're going on a 4 or 5 hour run ya better have something prepared to occupy their little minds and bodies. ..... Or the'll find someth'in. Sometimes they demand so much attention your own attention to navigation and safety can fall behind.

But watch'in kids having fun on and around boats is great for all.

So true Eric.

Attachments

• FL 09 kids playing cards.jpg
    FL 09 kids playing cards.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 527
  • grandkids_018.jpg
    grandkids_018.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 104
My two on the tow boat my dad ran for a time in the Florida Keys:

OnEd'sBoat.jpg

Son was saving for a catamaran when he had his heart attack. And my daughter, well, she understands that I'm a boater. She's going to be 30 next month. Where does the time go?!

The fishing off the docks in Spanish Cay. The hardest part is reeling them in fast enough so the sharks don't get'em. And the new boat.

Attachments

• image-3557314389.jpg
    image-3557314389.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image-4110149985.jpg
    image-4110149985.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 104
At anchor on the New River near Camp Lejeune NC

Attachments

• image-1471775079.jpg
    image-1471775079.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1295836991.jpg
    image-1295836991.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 103
Originally Posted by FlyWright
Is that an Aussie boat, Mike? Your helm is on the wrong side!!
Isn't this better?
Yup. Thanks a bunch for "fixing" my boat.

Which is why we this side of the world maintain we drive on the correct, (as opposed to right), side of the road. After all, if the right side is the correct side for the boat helm, why should cars be different…? :flowers::rofl:

Originally Posted by FlyWright
Is that an Aussie boat, Mike? Your helm is on the wrong side!!
Isn't this better?

Which is why we this side of the world maintain we drive on the correct, (as opposed to right), side of the road. After all, if the right side is the correct side for the boat helm, why should cars be different…? :flowers::rofl:

Peter, you mean your helm isn't on the port side? If I'm not mistaken, I think Bruce's is.

While the boat was originally designated an AT 34, it is now referred to as an AT 365 as it measures 36 ft 6 in. Same hull, different name. I believe TOMCO has built over 140 of this size since 2001.

Yes, the engine is a QSB 380 common-rail turbo. It will do a maximum of 20 mph at 3,000 rpm and cruise at 14 mph at 2,400 rpm. I typically run about 9 mph at 1,450 rpm and 2.5 gph.

Just wondering, how does she handle at those higher speeds?? Hopefully better that a recent report (and posting) I made in reference to the Beneteau Swift Trawler
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/beneteau-swift-trawlers-12596.html

Got any photos of her bottom shape/design?

Last edited:
Got any photos of her bottom shape/design?

Here are a couple of bottom pictures.

This hull was designed as a shrimping hull for use off Washington State by Lynn Senour, a well-known West Coast Marine architect. The mold was obtained by TOMCO to build the first AT 34 around 2000. As you can see, it is SD with hard chines and a fairly deep v in the bow.

Most of my experience in challenging waters is running trawler speeds across Lakes Ontario, Erie, Huron and Michigan, the Gulf, the Atlantic outside Marathon Key and Delaware, the Albemarle Sound, and NY Harbor.

I have little experience running high speeds, however, I did run once in 2-3 ft chop above 12 mph where there was some bow rise, some spray, but the boat had responsive steering and the bottom did not slam into oncoming waves.

I find this boat quite seaworthy. While it is sometimes uncomfortable, I have never felt it was unsafe.

Attachments

• IMG_0284 A.jpg
    IMG_0284 A.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0283 A.jpg
    IMG_0283 A.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 105
Our new boat

Here's our 1985 Chris Craft Constellation 500. She is a beauty in & out. Love Her !

Attachments

• IMAG1170.jpg
    IMAG1170.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 118
Here's our 1985 Chris Craft Constellation 500. She is a beauty in & out. Love Her !

Your boat as well as some other classic CC models are very nice pleasure craft. Congrats for owning your 500! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :D

Footloose Jupiter,Fl

:) Our home port is Jupiter ,Fl. Our 2004/5 Mainship 34Trawler is a joy to pilot.

Attachments

• LarryCell6-15-13 518.jpg
    LarryCell6-15-13 518.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 102
  • LarryCell6-15-13 525.jpg
    LarryCell6-15-13 525.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Here are a couple of bottom pictures.

This hull was designed as a shrimping hull for use off Washington State by Lynn Senour, a well-known West Coast Marine architect. The mold was obtained by TOMCO to build the first AT 34 around 2000. As you can see, it is SD with hard chines and a fairly deep v in the bow.
Those photos are of the 34' or the newer designation 365 ??

Those photos are of the 34' or the newer designation 365 ??[/QUOTE

The 365 is a change in name only. The hull is the same be it a 345 or a 365.

That helps to know that cuz the last time at the TrawlerFest in Lauderdale we got aboard a 365 and I thought it was an "upgrade" over the 345. I remember when the Camano 31 was the Camano 28 also. Regardless, all good boats.

Peter, you mean your helm isn't on the port side? If I'm not mistaken, I think Bruce's is.
The Island Gypsy has the helm to starboard. Its predecessor, the Masters 34, Oz designed and built, has it to port. No rhyme or reason, just is.

Last edited:
In my background and present: CC stbd / Johnson Bros stbd / Freeport Point Ship Builders one-off stbd / Uni port / Tolly stbd

Last edited:
I think all Uniflite's were to port ????

My Uniflite lower helm was port side. It actually worked pretty well as I leaned on a cushion over to port and made it easy to keep a watch out on starboard (green side, you know).

I have little experience running high speeds, however, I did run once in 2-3 ft chop above 12 mph where there was some bow rise, some spray, but the boat had responsive steering and the bottom did not slam into oncoming waves.

I have always been curious about the engine choice in that boat. For some, yes. Would you have lost anything by having a displacement only capable engine? Any thoughts on that?

Harbor950,
"Displacement" is 100% a function of the hull and has nothing to do w the engine. There would not be any point in having an engine only capable of propelling the boat at displacement speeds. With that amount of power a displacement hull would be called for w any degree of common sense. And that engine would (of course) be less power than the engine mentioned above.

Last edited:
Harbor950,
"Displacement" is 100% a function of the hull and has nothing to do w the engine. There would not be any point in having an engine only capable of propelling the boat at displacement speeds. With that amount of power a displacement hull would be called for w any degree of common sense. And that engine would (of course) be less power than the engine mentioned above.

I am aware of the difference in hull design between displacement and semi-planing hulls, but did not express my question well. Mark Pierce has said that he thinks his hull is probably designed as a planing hull and others are also using semi-displacement and planing hulls at displacement speeds only. They may in your opinion not have "any degree of common sense", but my question has to do with someone who has said he has used the boat mostly in displacement mode and how much would he have given up to have done without the capability of the higher speeds.

Production boats are what they are and it isn't practical for all of us to build a one off. I am wondering if what I am describing would have been a reasonable compromise in some cases, specifically in Great Laker's experience. I think I get it without the need for your condescension.

I say with all due respect - - > Days... errr... shades of Marin! - LMAO :rofl:

Last edited:
I am aware of the difference in hull design between displacement and semi-planing hulls, but did not express my question well. Mark Pierce has said that he thinks his hull is probably designed as a planing hull

Did I?? My heavy boat isn't capable of exceeding hull speed, and the hull is definitely not designed for planing.

img_194566_0_45d7d5b8538da7149b896c22d9bcab82.jpg

Did I?? My heavy boat isn't capable of exceeding hull speed, and the hull is definitely not designed for planing.

Sorry about that. I can picture the post, but I cannot find it. Probably because it doesn't exist. I must be thinking of someone else who made that comment with a photo of his boat.

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I have always been curious about the engine choice in that boat. For some, yes. Would you have lost anything by having a displacement only capable engine? Any thoughts on that?

I fully understand your question, and ask myself that on occasion.

We have gone over 5,800 miles on the Great Loop over the last year encountering a vast array of conditions. I will say that this entire trip could have been done with much lower power than the Cummins 380 turbo. Having said that, there were a number of situations where I was more confident and perhaps safer because of it.

We cruised in some uncertain weather windows knowing we could speed up if necessary to reduce risk. We also found ourselves in narrow ocean inlets and also in windy cross current marina fairways where the extra power kept us out of trouble. And of course there were a couple of times where we sped up to arrive at a lock opening or bridge sooner.

The larger engine was not the reason I bought the America Tug. I bought it because I liked the size, layout and especially the quality of materials, equipment and construction. I bought it because it had low draft, low bridge clearance, pilot house doors for ease of docking and anchoring, a galley up, a walkaround queen, a fully enclosed shower, etc. I bought it because I thought it was the perfect boat to do the Great Loop. And importantly, I bought it because my wife liked it.

This engine is just what the manufacturer puts in this boat, so I get the advantages/disadvantages of that decision. It was not even on my list of "must haves". Would I buy a SD hulled boat with an "high performance" engine again? Yes. But I wouldn't let the lack of it keep me from buying the boat I overall liked best.

I fully understand your question, and ask myself that on occasion.

We have gone over 5,800 miles on the Great Loop over the last year encountering a vast array of conditions. I will say that this entire trip could have been done with much lower power than the Cummins 380 turbo. Having said that, there were a number of situations where I was more confident and perhaps safer because of it.

We cruised in some uncertain weather windows knowing we could speed up if necessary to reduce risk. We also found ourselves in narrow ocean inlets and also in windy cross current marina fairways where the extra power kept us out of trouble. And of course there were a couple of times where we sped up to arrive at a lock opening or bridge sooner.

The larger engine was not the reason I bought the America Tug. I bought it because I liked the size, layout and especially the quality of materials, equipment and construction. I bought it because it had low draft, low bridge clearance, pilot house doors for ease of docking and anchoring, a galley up, a walkaround queen, a fully enclosed shower, etc. I bought it because I thought it was the perfect boat to do the Great Loop. And importantly, I bought it because my wife liked it.

This engine is just what the manufacturer puts in this boat, so I get the advantages/disadvantages of that decision. It was not even on my list of "must haves". Would I buy a SD hulled boat with an "high performance" engine again? Yes. But I wouldn't let the lack of it keep me from buying the boat I overall liked best.

Very well put! :thumb:

And, your sentence portion I bolded is much of what life for we luven couples is really all about! After all is said n’ done... we dudes still be the Hunters/Gatherers! Although, now we often hunt and gather toys that please Our Admiral! - lol :D

The tug-ish trawlers hit a marketing sweet spot where hairy chested men respond to their no nonsense rugged good looks :thumb: and women get all warm and cuddly because they're so darned cute :smitten:

(Hint: do not use dog for scale...use daughters head in saloon window instead!)

Attachments

• Badger Klewnugget profile.jpg
    Badger Klewnugget profile.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom