Lehman Drive Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

appdiver

Story of my life...! Purchased a reman (BOMAC) Lehman 120 for my now unusable trawler. Had the Paragon rebuilt but would like to research other options for installing the engine and perhaps coupling to a heavy-duty stern drive or jet unit. Have access to a couple of 30'+ cruisers/houseboats that either have twin gas or stern drives now. Any ideas/feedback on other-than-standard inboard use of this great engine? Thanks!

HD stern drive has all the problems of every outboard or IO drive.

Hundreds of parts all wanting to be a battery.

Jet drives work , but the boat needs to be really fast to get minor efficiency , a displacement trawler with 6K and a fuel burn like a sport fish? UGH!

The shaft and prop works well , why screw with 100 years of success?

Stern drives for diesels are heavier than for gassers as the torque peak as each cylinder fires is far higher .

Last edited:
First though is RPM, Lehman is slow compared to gas engine type stern drives. Torque and weight may also be an issue.

If you wanted to recoup some money and start over, I would consider purchasing the engine from you, just a thought.

I was told yesterday that my Lehman will couple quite easily to velvet drive v-drive units that exist in one of my project possibilities. Anyone had good/bad experiences with Lehmans and v-drives? "sealife"...feel free to call 423-418-3483.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom