Possible Purchase of a Cape Dory 28' Trawler?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Pat

Just became a member to the group this week. I am in the middle of a possible trade /puchase of a 28' Cape Dory Cape Dory Trawler. I would weclome any comments on this boat in all aspects. I will use it in Lake michigan for weekend use and short cruises of a few weeks. It has a single Westerbeke diesel 100hp engine, 6 cylinder diesel FWC. Is this engine reliable? Is the boat underpowered? I have noticed that some of these same boats have a 200hp diesel.It was given a new transmission in 2009 along with all new fuel lines and batteries. All the elctronics are very old. What electronics will be needed and in what puchase order? Also no AC I plan to use this boat as a costal cruiser in the Great Lakes. Comments would be appreciated.
thanks!

Pat, I have visited their plant, and they build a good quality boat. Their sailboats are very well trhought of indeed. This model, and this is just my opinion from seeing quite a few in the water in my area, is a crossover between a trawler and a downeast boat. As a downeast, it seems too heavy and narrow for a good turn of speed with moderate HP which is what a downeast does best. So I think is is a better displacement trawler and as such, 100 HP is not underpowered. But... you will not make much speed with her with 100HP and think and even if 8K w/ a big wake is fine with you, think about resale.
I own both a downeast and a trawler (troller), both the same length. the downeast, 11,000 lbs, cruises at 11K and will make 15K with 160HP. The trawler 26,000 lbs, is overpowered at 50HP cruises at 6K on 14HP and will make only 8.5K using all 50hp and even if it had 300HP would do no better.
Again, just my opinion, I have never been aboard one in the water. I'm sure we have CapeDory owners here and they can tell you more

Last edited:
I'll do a bit of a thread hijack, so pardon me.

Having spent much time on big inland lakes, including Superior, I would much prefer a planing boat that can get somewhere fast and get home quickly/safely when the lake thunderstorms are building.

I've owned 3 SeaRays and they all performed this task flawlessly. A slow diesel cruiser that needs lots of TLC doesn't sound appealing. I am quite familiar with Osprey diesel powered boats that can go fast and are very good in rough weather. Also you may want to PM with Richard Cooke on TF who has a very nice planing diesel trailer boat he uses liberally in the rough Alaskan waters.

I would not see the need for AC, but an off engine red dot style heater would be comfortable and extend your season. Also a good combination plotter - radar - depth sounder can be sourced, a must for the Great Lakes when the weather comes in on you.

There are many boats for sale like I have described, all fresh water based and set up for your immediate needs.

Sunchaser: Good, sage, stuff.

Pat:

I have a CD 28 with the 275 hp Chrysler gasser.

The boat was originally delivered with that engine, the 100 hp Westerbeke and a 200 hp Volvo. Some have been repowered with a 240 hp Yanmar which makes for a sweet combination.

The 100 hp Westerbeke is an old design but a sound one. Check a dealer for parts availability. With only 100 hp it is strictly a displacement cruiser. The hull is not very efficient at either displacement speeds or planning. It will probably take about 2 gph to push her to 6.5 kts.

But the boat has a great interior layout; one of the best on a 28'er.

David

I have a 100hp Westerbeke in my Pilgrim 40 and make 7 knts at 1.6 gph solid engine

I have one of last Cape Dory 28's built with the Volvo 200hp diesel. She runs comfortably at 8 knots at 2500 RPM burning 2 GPH. She cruises at 10 - 11 knots at 3250 RPM burning about 7 GPH. WOT is 3850 RPM. I have her loaded for extended cruising. The Westerbeke should provide 7 - 8 knots max. She is extremely seaworthy. If you'd like additional information on the boat, please feel free to PM me.

Mark Cline
Cape Dory 28 #219
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom