are 'europa' and 'sedan' the same thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
I have seen some aft cockpit trawlers advertised as a 'sedan' style, some advertised as 'europa' style, and some advertised as 'europa sedan'. Do 'europa' and 'sedan' refer to basically the same beast, or is there some subtle difference implied?

My understanding is that a Europa has covered side decks. A sedan can have them or not. I think Europa started out as a marketing term by Grand Banks.

X4 bridge hung side deck covers strut supported vs a straight cabin side and no side deck cover. May or may not incorporate a hard aft deck cover although most I've seen do that also.

Take a look at Daddyo's vessel and you will see the overhanging bridge with the struts covering the side deck.

I agree though that the term Europa seems to have been coined or promoted by G.B.

Agree with the Europa definition(see avatar).
I thought "sedan" meant "no flybridge", but I`ve seen new Rivs, with FB, advertised by Riviera as sedans, so unsure there.

My Europa is titled as a Europa Sedan. Essentially a Sedan with covered deck walkways. Really great for the weather we have up here.

Agree with the Europa definition(see avatar).
I thought "sedan" meant "no flybridge", but I`ve seen new Rivs, with FB, advertised by Riviera as sedans, so unsure there.

Yes Bruce. I had a flybridge sedan, and I think that is what I would call Beach Bum's boat.

Just an FWI those struts are oddly enough called style bars.

My boat was/is both. When I bought it it just had a pocket handkerchief sized canopy over the cockpit, so it was a sedan. When that got wrecked by strong winds (we got no insurance - too old) we had a frame made which allowed the whole cockpit and side decks to be shaded/covered/weather-proofed, (see avatar) so, in effect, now it's a soft topped hardtop Europa. Maybe it should be called a Sedopa, or maybe a Eurodan..? I could have started something here..? Waddayathink..?

Daddyo

Are the style bars on your DeFever purely style or is there a structural element. On a Krogen 42 the "fashion plates" are purely for looks and frankly are a pain.

Marty

I agree that the term "Europa" was originally used by American Marine to name their Grand Banks sedan model with a covered cockpit and side decks.

The popular GB Europa 42
GB europa.JPG

A rare GB sedan 42
GB sedan.jpg

Daddyo

Are the style bars on your DeFever purely style or is there a structural element. On a Krogen 42 the "fashion plates" are purely for looks and frankly are a pain.

Marty

But it does so much for the boat's beauty. Look at the GB pictures I posted above. Doesn't the europa version look better? I think the "fashion plates" are a big reason. It's probably why I prefer the looks of the KK42 over the 39.

...so, in effect, now it's a soft topped hardtop Europa. Maybe it should be called a Sedopa, or maybe a Eurodan..? I could have started something here..? Waddayathink..?

Maybe a "Flacid European"?

Those "style bars" or supports have another use. My boat has removable mesh covers to surround the cockpit, keeping it mostly dry in rain, we have zip in clears panels between the end of the cabin, across to the supports, to exclude weather coming down the side walkways.

Back
Top Bottom